Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

Info still the same as in your first post? If not would you mind doing a summary?

Cost:

What does this include?

ZAR deposit required:

Deposit payable by:

Proposed dates:

Duration:

Extras:

How does accommodation work:

You mention R300 per day, what does this cover?

Sorry if you have to repeat what you've had to repeat before!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Info still the same as in your first post? If not would you mind doing a summary?

Cost:

What does this include?

ZAR deposit required:

Deposit payable by:

Proposed dates:

Duration:

Extras:

How does accommodation work:

You mention R300 per day, what does this cover?

Sorry if you have to repeat what you've had to repeat before!

No problem man

Cost: R22000

What does this include? Includes return flights from Cape Town to Geneva. We are most likely going Emirates. Shuttles from Geneva to Morzine and back on arrival and departure. 12 days lift pass for the Portes du Soleil. 13 nights 3 star accommodation (sharing. Twin Rooms) Breakfast and 3 course dinner. Wednesday is chef's night off so on 2 nights we'll have to fend for ourselves. And of course my fairly extensive knowledge of where to ride, shop, eat and drink in the area.

ZAR deposit required: R12000 Deposit. This will cover the flight and most of the accommodation cost

Deposit payable by: 30 November or until 20 people commit. Whichever comes first. So far 5 are in for sure.

Proposed dates: 5th July- 19th July or 2nd August-16th August 2014. I'm trying for July but the flight prices are crazy cos of the soccer world cup.

Duration: 13 nights. 12 full days on your bike

Extras: Spending money, Visa and travel insurance will be for your account

How does accommodation work: I've pre booked accommodation already. The place I've chosen is well priced, super central and has everything I think we need. I've done 3 trips so I have a good handle on the available accommodation options. It's fully insured so if you do pull out you will get all of your accommodation cash back. It's through a company called Alpine Elements. They specialize in Alpine Holidays.

You mention R300 per day, what does this cover? The R300 a day is the spending money I budget on when I'm over there. It should be less this time around cos we are going to be in a catered accommodation but you will buy lunch out on the trails and a few beers might be consumed. There's also stuff like kit to buy. The stuff isn't cheap but I like to buy at least one thing just to keep the local shops ticking over. the season is incredibly short and they do rely on us spending cash there.

There are other things to consider for the trip.

• Your bike will need to be in tip top shape before we go. Bike repairs are expensive
  • You'll need to box your bike properly. I always do a cardboard box. The bespoke bike boxes are heavy and cost a fortune. Plus when you get back you'll be able to start a nice toasty fire with your cardboard one.
  • You will want a light waterproof top. It does rain and it's k@k cold on some of the higher peaks. Even in summer. I've ridden through patches of snow in July.
  • You will want to take some spares like a derallieur and a spare hanger
  • Tools specific to your bike
  • Camera
  • If you don't have I'd suggest getting a full face helmet. The trails are gravity orientated and you don't have to hoes up hill. There are ski lifts for that.
  • Kneepads too.

Edited by Omega Man

Sweet man. Where you going skiing. BTW. I know a place in Morzine that can do catered accommodation in Jan for 400 pounds a week.

Edit. I need to start charging for this sh*t.

Narrowed it down to 3 places, St Antonn(Austria), Cervinia(Italy), or 3valleys(France). Hopefully one of the three.

Waiting for the rest of the crew to decide...time ticks on. Thanks for the offer, that's very well priced.

No problem man

Shot! I'm pretty much there. Anything for an excuse to buy a double barrel and Pike for the Ibis! Have forwarded the details to two riding mates. One is pretty keen as we've been threatening for too long to do something like this.

Will confirm 100% / deposit / all the rest ASAP.

Guest Omega Man

Shot! I'm pretty much there. Anything for an excuse to buy a double barrel and Pike for the Ibis! Have forwarded the details to two riding mates. One is pretty keen as we've been threatening for too long to do something like this.

Will confirm 100% / deposit / all the rest ASAP.

Hahaha. Dude you have pretty much the most dialed bike in existence (apart from mine of course) and you want to buy more presents for it?

It's the trip of a lifetime I guarantee it. You will not regret it.

Chaps. Who are you using for airport transfer from Geneva and how much per person? Looking at options for Friday

We used these guys last year:

Mountain Bus Company

We are a fully insured French Registered transport company. Our offices are based in Morzine and you can contact us by phone, email or in writing. Please use the information below to contact the Mountain Bus Company.

Nick Woodhouse & Heather Sinclair

Mountain Bus Company

21A l'Oree de Morzine

La Ranche

74110 Montriond

FRANCE

For airport transfers and general enquiries tel:
0033 620 719 844

For cab bookings tel:
0033 682 888 550

Email :

Guest Omega Man

Mountain Bus Company

We are a fully insured French Registered transport company. Our offices are based in Morzine and you can contact us by phone, email or in writing. Please use the information below to contact the Mountain Bus Company.

Mountain Bus Company

21A l'Oree de Morzine

La Ranche

74110 Montriond

FRANCE

0033 620 719 844

For cab bookings tel:
0033 682 888 550

Email :

Yeah used them the first 2 years.

Also try action transfers.

transfers <transfers@actiontransfers.com>

Guest Omega Man

Right. Mate and I are in. Now the save up for deposit starts...

Pah. You're loaded.

In the words of Bricktop. I know you've come to open your safe. Now open it.

Seriously tho there are only 20 slots available and 5 are taken. No pressure. Oh. DON'T BUY MORE STUFF FOR YOUR BIKE. You'll have the cash together in a week or so.

So that makes it 7. 13 spots left folks.

Edited by Omega Man

Chaps. Who are you using for airport transfer from Geneva and how much per person? Looking at options for Friday

Mountain Bus Company

Mountain Bus Company

21A l'Oree de Morzine

La Ranche

74110 Montriond

FRANCE

0033 620 719 844

For cab bookings tel:
0033 682 888 550

Email :
[/size][/font][/color]

Yeah used them the first 2 years.

Also try action transfers.

transfers <transfers@actiontransfers.com>

We used mountain bus company to get from Geneva to Morzine, but when the Peach landed himself in Thonon hospital I used Skiidy Gonzalez to go fetch him.

Skiidy seem to have the biggest operation in Morzine. Not sure on their prices though.

The nice thing about Mountain Bus Co. Is that the owner (Nick) is English, with South African ties. So no broken English/French conversations

Guest Omega Man

Just to confirm I am coming. Will pay deposit in two weeks time.

Sweet Nico. Sorry. That's 8. 12 spots left folks. And Nico is pulling in with his 29er.

And just to put things into perspective. It costs +-R5500 to ride the Sani 2 Sea 2014. That's R1833 a day to ride the race. Out trip is R22000 for 12 days of riding in the Alps. That's R1833 per day. Yes there's no racing but it includes a flight to Geneva and access to 24 ski lifts. Oh and you won't be sleeping in a tent.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Sweet Nico. Sorry. That's 8. 12 spots left folks. And Nico is pulling in with his 29er.

And just to put things into perspective. It costs +-R5500 to ride the Sani 2 Sea 2014. That's R1833 a day to ride the race. Out trip is R22000 for 12 days of riding in the Alps. That's R1833 per day. Yes there's no racing but it includes a flight to Geneva and access to 24 ski lifts. Oh and you won't be sleeping in a tent.

Murray is in. 11 spots left.