Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

What I've noticed on the vids and pictures is that the tables all have far flatter exits than we have here in SA, so arguably, if you just don't overcook the speed it should be a failry smooth exit with limit risk of OTB'ing or offing when casing it?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I've noticed on the vids and pictures is that the tables all have far flatter exits than we have here in SA, so arguably, if you just don't overcook the speed it should be a failry smooth exit with limit risk of OTB'ing or offing when casing it?

Yeah, the tables there are very progression friendly. No having to "clear or die". One can work their way up to clearing them.

But with the gradient on many of the lines, if one overshoots they can be coming down from 3m to flat... and that is not so easy to roll away from.

Yeah, the tables there are very progression friendly. No having to "clear or die". One can work their way up to clearing them.

But with the gradient on many of the lines, if one overshoots they can be coming down from 3m to flat... and that is not so easy to roll away from.

Yeah, the one thing severely lacking from my skill set (and I put it down to just not riding long enough) is judging speed required for jumps. Obviously on these tables too little is the way to go rather than too much.

Guest Omega Man

Ja. The transitions leaving the jumps are far more gradual than here and the lips of the jumps are not super steep like they typically are here. To be fair the transitions can be super gradual cos you don't need to pump down the landings to generate speed. you just let her roll.

The problem we have here is that we simply don't know how to build DH jumps*. The guys building the DH jumps (typically) are either dirt jumpers or okes like me who actually don't know how to build jumps so we often get the stuff wrong and have to revisit the stuff over and over again like we've done at Steilte on numerous jumps.

* Before anyone gets offended this is just my opinion based on my own experiences and efforts.

Guest Omega Man

Yeah, the one thing severely lacking from my skill set (and I put it down to just not riding long enough) is judging speed required for jumps. Obviously on these tables too little is the way to go rather than too much.

I have that same problem with judging speed. The jumps there are very case friendly for the most part. Also a lot of them are after a corner so you naturally scrub a bit of speed before hitting them.

The stuff there is super well built. Most of the trails are machine built by guys that have done seasons in Whistler and/or worked under Ben Walker. Ben Walker lives in Morgins and is responsible for the trails in Morgins, Crosets and Chatel. He's also a judge on the FMB tour. His day job is working for Scott bikes in their R&D Department. A true mountain biking legend

It's the first world bru. They don't skop together a few logs and call it a jump. The stuff is built with safety in mind. Super safe run ups and super long and safe run outs. So because the stuff is so well built you'll be hitting stuff much bigger than you ever have before.

Once again this isn't a diss of local trail builders.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

I mailed the accommodation confirmation, Itinerary, Visa form and Visa requirements through to all of you guys last night. Hopefully you've gotten it.

Remember the balance of 10k needs to be paid by 31 March. I'll be settling the accommodation, buying lift tickets and paying for airport shuttles with that. Then we'll be set and waiting for the snow to melt.

This is the logo boss.

post-18968-0-81412800-1386224771_thumb.jpg

Edit underway.............!Got a hi-res image for me? Edited by capediver

Guest Omega Man

Edit underway.............!Got a hi-res image for me?

Johan is working on it to get another color or 2 in there and neaten it up a bit. But he's been moving house so that's been his priority.

Johan is working on it to get another color or 2 in there and neaten it up a bit. But he's been moving house so that's been his priority.

Indeed. Still manic with work and unpacking. Office closes next week Thursday so Ill have time to finish the website and logos etc.

Sorry for the delay okes.

Indeed. Still manic with work and unpacking. Office closes next week Thursday so Ill have time to finish the website and logos etc.

Sorry for the delay okes.

No wahala, its all fun anyway, just amped and playing with some ideas!

Guest Omega Man

New Pleney lift cars going on. The lift can take up to 2800 skiers an hour in the winter so come summer expect the queues to be very short. Also no more annoying stairs to push your bikes up.

post-18968-0-03127100-1386392186_thumb.jpg