Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

No probs. I'm trying to build credibility. Next year I'll be somewhat more mercenary I think.

And I thought it was just because you're a good oke ;)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

And I thought it was just because you're a good oke ;)

Hahaha. I am a good oke.

Guest Omega Man

I find myself uncontrollably typing this.

For 22k. (It's actually going to cost you between 25 and 27k depending on how much you booze and what bits you buy) you are getting the following.

A Return flight to Geneva

Return Transfers from Geneva to Morzine

12 day lift pass for the summer lifts (24 lifts in total)

Catered accommodation for 13 nights

(potentially) a day trip to Pila in Italy.

People berate me for comparing the cost of this trip to local stage races but do this. Look at the cost of the popular local stage races and compare that with the daily cost of this trip. I'm comparing JUST cost. Do it. See if it's a good value proposition.

Pila is a must visit, small, resort above the town of Aosta. Although a busy ski resort during winter, it is very quiet during the summer.

The area has a mixed history having formerly being part of France, with the locals speaking a dialect more similar to French than Italian. If you do not speak Italian, French is widely spoken and understood. The town is situated on the main through road up to the Mont Blanc and Petit Saint Bernard tunnels, which makes it ideal if you are planning to ride in other places, such as, Les Arcs, Verbier and Chamonix.

Nearest airport: Turin & Geneva.

What does Pila have to offer?

Cross Country - Beginner & Intermediate

Downhill - Beginner & Advanced

Freeride - Beginner & Intermediate

Cable Car - YES

Gondola -

Chairlift - YES

Pila is a great example of a successful, interesting and challenging BikePark. The trails have mostly been built or cleared by hand and are natural technical singletracks. They are labelled as freeride runs, but really are more in a way of donwhill runs. The World Cup DH sees a little more built berms and jumps, but a healthy proportion of it remains technical wooded and a natural trail. Although it has been inexpensive to create, it has potential for further building and when combined with the long Pila to Aosta descent it makes a great riding destination.

DOWNHILL

With Pila hosting Sam Hill's return from injury at the 2005 World Cup - you can expect a quality track. It was designed and built by Italian Corrado Hern and is a good example of a fast technical track with fast lines through rocks and tight berms - an awesome track in all weather. Beginners to downhill riding will enjoy the track as most of the hard sections have easy lines around them and sections that are marked as black have red alternatives. Downhill riders are not restricted to the marked track as the Freeride trails are all really great Downhill runs.

FREERIDE

Freeride in Pila consists mainly of steady Downhill singletrack that has the odd drop thrown in along with some small jumps in the woods. All the trails are good fun and riders of all abilities can spend a few days riding here, mixing the Downhill and the Freeride trails.

One of the highlights is the Pila - Aosta Freeride. There is an 11 km downhill singletrack which takes you back down to the bottom of the valley to the lift station in Aosta. Connecting the Downhill or one of the Freeride trails from the top lift with this trail can give you a Downhill run with a verticle descent of around 2300m!

CROSS-COUNTRY

Twelve Cross Country routes are waymarked, aimed more towards the beginner and all use the ski lift for the uphill part. More experienced cross country riders would be perfectly happy on the freeride marked trails.

Pila is a must visit, small, resort above the town of Aosta. Although a busy ski resort during winter, it is very quiet during the summer.

The area has a mixed history having formerly being part of France, with the locals speaking a dialect more similar to French than Italian. If you do not speak Italian, French is widely spoken and understood. The town is situated on the main through road up to the Mont Blanc and Petit Saint Bernard tunnels, which makes it ideal if you are planning to ride in other places, such as, Les Arcs, Verbier and Chamonix.

Nearest airport: Turin & Geneva.

What does Pila have to offer?

Cross Country - Beginner & Intermediate

Downhill - Beginner & Advanced

Freeride - Beginner & Intermediate

Cable Car - YES

Gondola -

Chairlift - YES

Pila is a great example of a successful, interesting and challenging BikePark. The trails have mostly been built or cleared by hand and are natural technical singletracks. They are labelled as freeride runs, but really are more in a way of donwhill runs. The World Cup DH sees a little more built berms and jumps, but a healthy proportion of it remains technical wooded and a natural trail. Although it has been inexpensive to create, it has potential for further building and when combined with the long Pila to Aosta descent it makes a great riding destination.

DOWNHILL

With Pila hosting Sam Hill's return from injury at the 2005 World Cup - you can expect a quality track. It was designed and built by Italian Corrado Hern and is a good example of a fast technical track with fast lines through rocks and tight berms - an awesome track in all weather. Beginners to downhill riding will enjoy the track as most of the hard sections have easy lines around them and sections that are marked as black have red alternatives. Downhill riders are not restricted to the marked track as the Freeride trails are all really great Downhill runs.

FREERIDE

Freeride in Pila consists mainly of steady Downhill singletrack that has the odd drop thrown in along with some small jumps in the woods. All the trails are good fun and riders of all abilities can spend a few days riding here, mixing the Downhill and the Freeride trails.

One of the highlights is the Pila - Aosta Freeride. There is an 11 km downhill singletrack which takes you back down to the bottom of the valley to the lift station in Aosta. Connecting the Downhill or one of the Freeride trails from the top lift with this trail can give you a Downhill run with a verticle descent of around 2300m!

CROSS-COUNTRY

Twelve Cross Country routes are waymarked, aimed more towards the beginner and all use the ski lift for the uphill part. More experienced cross country riders would be perfectly happy on the freeride marked trails.

Ok my vote has swung! Pi-la Pi-la Pi-la!

Worth the trip just for that!

Guest Omega Man

[/background][/color]

Worth the trip just for that!

A bottle of Johnny Black for the first guy to do a full run.

A bottle of Johnny Black for the first guy to do a full run.

Challenge accepted but I highly doubt Ill make it as a full run haha. Then again I do love my Johnny Black.

Guest Omega Man

Challenge accepted but I highly doubt Ill make it as a full run haha. Then again I do love my Johnny Black.

If you can do a full run at Pleney (drops 600m in 3.25km) I'll be VERY impressed. So my money is safe I reckon.

In the first year the thought of doing a full run was completely out of the question. Last year and this year i did quite a few full runs but that's mainly cos I'd figured out how to ride the long steep tracks. You still rest but you rest on the move.

But 11 km? Yoh Yoh Yoh

Edited by Omega Man

If you can do a full run at Pleney (drops 600m in 3.25km) I'll be VERY impressed. So my money is safe I reckon.

In the first year the thought of doing a full run was completely out of the question. Last year and this year i did quite a few full runs but that's mainly cos I'd figured out how to ride the long steep tracks. You still rest but you rest on the move.

But 11 km? Yoh Yoh Yoh

Chavannes is also pretty tough to get a full run out of. Maybe if one anaethetizes their hands and duct taped them to the bars they could. But that would also leave them brakeless :eek:

Guest Omega Man

Chavannes is also pretty tough to get a full run out of. Maybe if one anaethetizes their hands and duct taped them to the bars they could. But that would also leave them brakeless :eek:

I've done loads of full runs there. When you go back you'll see you'll be able to. You will find your riding style adapts quicker and you get used to the pain quicker. (It's still very much there) You still rest but you do it on the move. like locking your legs out that type of thing.

Guest Omega Man

It was snowing a lot on that trip?

I think I fixed it. This youtube stuff is all new to me.