Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

There is a washer and drier where we are staying.

The advice below is based on Emirates, Qatar, Etihad.

You are allowed ONE piece of checked luggage. That's your bike in a box and some odds & ends pretty much. Your boxed bike should weigh a maximum of 24kg. That's for a VERY fat packed DH bike. That gives you 6kg of stuff to throw in the box.

I put in.

my kneepads (strapped to the frame for a bit of protection)

my pack with my tools to rebuild my bike and a few spares like hanger and derailleur. Try buddy up with a mate so you can share tools.

a bag with spare jeans and a few bits of clothing

and my spare 5.10's

My trail lid is also going in there.

And as much stuff as I can to get it to 30kg.

Your carry on is 7kg

In there you'll put most of your clothing. Take a LIGHT bag. A R50 jobbie from chinatown is best believe it or not. The fancier your luggage the heavier it is. Those wheelie bags are 3kg on their own.

Carry your helmet bag in your hand with your gopro, goggles and gloves inside. That's your "handbag" I'm also going to try and slot a laptop into my helmet bag this year.

Onto the plane you wear.

Jeans

Your heaviest shoes (if those are riding shoes unscrew the cleats)

Your warm top

I take 2 pairs of 5.10's and a pair of slops. That's my shoes taken care of. Casual pants I take a few pairs of boardies and i take about 5 t shirts. That's it. Oh and 2 riding kits.

It's pointless to take swish outfits to meet girlies in the nightclubs. Firstly there's only about 5 girls there and all 5 of them are fat & ugly.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My bike weighs about 13.6 so I should be OK. Pretty much flying with all my "heavy" clothes (jeanpant, hoodie etc) and then my box will just be bike stuff, riding kit and a few shirts, shorts and undies. Will also squeeze handluggage to the max possible.

I reckon two sets of clothes plus one on the flight will be fine with a few extra shirts and enough clean undies. I'll be riding with my spd's and wearing my 5.10's for casual just in case I feel like flat pedals all of a sudden then they're there.

Can we just go already???

There is a washer and drier where we are staying.

The advice below is based on Emirates, Qatar, Etihad.

You are allowed ONE piece of checked luggage. That's your bike in a box and some odds & ends pretty much. Your boxed bike should weigh a maximum of 24kg. That's for a VERY fat packed DH bike. That gives you 6kg of stuff to throw in the box.

I put in.

my kneepads (strapped to the frame for a bit of protection)

my pack with my tools to rebuild my bike and a few spares like hanger and derailleur. Try buddy up with a mate so you can share tools.

a bag with spare jeans and a few bits of clothing

and my spare 5.10's

My trail lid is also going in there.

And as much stuff as I can to get it to 30kg.

Your carry on is 7kg

In there you'll put most of your clothing. Take a LIGHT bag. A R50 jobbie from chinatown is best believe it or not. The fancier your luggage the heavier it is. Those wheelie bags are 3kg on their own.

Carry your helmet bag in your hand with your gopro, goggles and gloves inside. That's your "handbag" I'm also going to try and slot a laptop into my helmet bag this year.

Onto the plane you wear.

Jeans

Your heaviest shoes (if those are riding shoes unscrew the cleats)

Your warm top

I take 2 pairs of 5.10's and a pair of slops. That's my shoes taken care of. Casual pants I take a few pairs of boardies and i take about 5 t shirts. That's it. Oh and 2 riding kits.

It's pointless to take swish outfits to meet girlies in the nightclubs. Firstly there's only about 5 girls there and all 5 of them are fat & ugly.

Just confirmed my extra 10kg :thumbup: (Qatar FTW)

So bike box I'll get between 25 - 30kg. And I'll be allowed to check in a second bag for the balance of my 40kg.

so... seeing as how I will not have the already generous 30kg weight limit...

• Bike (approx 17kg)
  • Tools (moderate amount)
  • spares (may even throw in a spare set of brakes)
  • protection (knee, elbow, roost, and neck brace)
  • 4 pairs DH shorts
  • 1 pair DH longs
  • 4 DH jerseys
  • 2 pairs riding shoes
  • 1 pair regular shoes
  • some casual and warm clothes.

Guest Omega Man

YES I'M AWARE THAT I'M SHOUTING

THE BUILDERS ON ZORE ARE BUILDING A BRAND NEW BLUE WITH LOTS OF KICKERS AND TABLES. THIS IS IN ADDITION TO THE EXISTING BLUE THAT HAS ABOUT 15 TABLES ON IT ALREADY!!!!!!!!

THEY ARE ALSO BUILDING A BRAND NEW GREEN FROM AVORIAZ DOWN TO THE MIDDLE LIFT STATION WHERE THE SUPER MORZINE BUBBLE ENDS AND ZORE STARTS. SO NO ROLLING DOWN THE ROAD ANYMORE.

Not that rolling down the road was in any way crap.

I'm starting to suspect that the frogs are on to me with my business idea and are building new tracks on purpose so I don't look like I know where I'm going.

Edited by Omega Man

OM just sent me the plans for transport from Geneva to Morzine...(PS don't submit this for your visa application!)

post-35907-0-24941500-1401969428_thumb.jpg

Edited by capediver

Guest Omega Man

On a more serious note, OM, is there a limit to the number of bikes Emirates will carry?

That's a very good question. I think it's best we all check in WELL early. And pray. I've been on that end when your bike doesn't pop out of the tunnel and it's a pretty disheartening feeling.

There are some things to help us out tho.

1. In the 2 years we've gone Emirates No one had a bike not arrive

2. You can rent a bike and I think you can claim that back from your travel insurance.

3. CHECK IN EARLY!!!

4. We aren't the first large group to fly with bikes

5. There's a flight into Geneva every day so your bike will arrive the following day at worst.

But here's hoping we don't have that issue.

Edited by Omega Man

On a more serious note, OM, is there a limit to the number of bikes Emirates will carry?

That's a very good question. I think it's best we all check in WELL early.

I call bull on overloading/weight claims.

http://i.space.com/images/i/000/004/629/i02/090920-sts128-ferry1-02.jpg?1292269302

This mail appeared in my in box today!!

Hey Duane

Awesome don’t forget deals on evoc bike bags and back protector hydration backpacks ,we will give you the opportunity to give your customers an Alpine Addiction 10 % off voucher for any evoc/ion/race face products

Also remember ion do knee and elbow pads and rad clothing

Thanks,now i am really amped

Yo serious? Where can we see wot he's got? $?

Guest Omega Man

Yo serious? Where can we see wot he's got? $?

Trail & Tar. Olympic Cycles.

Guest Omega Man

We gonna follow you over this?

Flip...which way to the stairs!?

This is the new double black on Mont Cheri. I'm not even going to be looking at it.

This is the new double black on Mont Cheri. I'm not even going to be looking at it.

That says it all! The 'regular' line down there is steep enough. I think I used half a set of brake pads just on one run.