Calling on you gamers

Guest Kalahari ou

Oh crumbs.. will the display be an issue?

not really. If it is you can get an external monitor later on. The 144Hz monitors offer slightly smoother (noticeably) performance, but the video card is actually more important than the screen refresh rate. The 1660Ti will be more than good enough to hit great performance at 1080p.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not really. If it is you can get an external monitor later on. The 144Hz monitors offer slightly smoother (noticeably) performance, but the video card is actually more important than the screen refresh rate. The 1660Ti will be more than good enough to hit great performance at 1080p.

Okay.. phew.. i should've come here before I ordered hey...that'll teach me..

Also he can buy his own external monitor later on [emoji1787][emoji1787].. from here on whatever he would like to upgrade or improve will come out of his own pocket[emoji1787]

Edited by Gen

SuYYmXz.jpg

Here's the benches from practically the same laptop. You'll see that most games run well over 60 fps.

Bare in mind that performance will be even better with the alternative I posted. The 2060 is a newer better performer gpu than the 1660ti. What this means is is that the actual horsepower within the laptop exceeds the performance of the display. And ALL your games will be capped @ 60fps because the 60hz diplay. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. Gaming at 60fps is fine. Its just such a shame to settle when there's a better alternative at the same price.

SuYYmXz.jpg

Here's the benches from practically the same laptop. You'll see that most games run well over 60 fps.

Bare in mind that performance will be even better with the alternative I posted. The 2060 is a newer better performer gpu than the 1660ti. What this means is is that the actual horsepower within the laptop exceeds the performance of the display. And ALL your games will be capped @ 60fps because the 60hz diplay. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. Gaming at 60fps is fine. Its just such a shame to settle when there's a better alternative at the same price.

Indeed.. I didnt see that one yesterday..wonder if I can still change the order with them[emoji848]

I think we must be related somehow waaayy back Gen, our sons sound the same! :lol:   

A few good games coming out soon.. well according to my sons.. I just get sent lists [emoji1787]

Indeed.. I didnt see that one yesterday..wonder if I can still change the order with them[emoji848]

Phone them and ask. I'm sure they could arrange something for you. 

Im sure if you havnt recieved it any order can be changed.

Cyberpunk big talk, never been my theme

Lets do a pros and cons of the new consoles to help everyone decide.

PS5

Pros

• Much better exclusives. Just way better. This might change moving forward. But I doubt it. 
  •  
  • Sony just bought into a chunk of Epic Games. Its not huge as far as investments go ($25mil) but it eludes to Sony's future plans. The line between console and pc really are starting to blur and if Sony is in bed with Epic it doesn't bode well for Microsoft. Their already loose grip on devs actually prioritising their kits for title porting and development means that not only will Playstation have an overall better selection of games. But they will get ports before Microsoft and it will probably perform better on that platform too. Sony has already showcased their games using the Epics unreal engine. This was before they bought into Epic. They clearly have big plans. Microsoft devs will have to pay Epic to use the engine to create games while Sony's grubby little paws will have unfettered access 
  •  
  • Market share. I predict that Sony will continue to dominate market share. Last I checked ps4 players were double the global xbox players. While new games released on both platforms will probably have similar if not identical pricing. Title volumes will favour Sony. It doesn't mean much if you're already adopted the habit of buying games digitally. But the market for used game discs will be in Sony's favour. Used playstation games will be cheaper than used xbox games. We've already seen this happen with previous the gen. It also means that console specials which include certain titles will favour Sony too. Not to mention the exclusives Sony already has an upper hand on. Once titles start flooding the market. Don't be surprised if console bundles with Sony just seem like much much better value. 

Cons

• Subscription. Microsoft's subscription service offerings is just far better value for money. But this is best explained in the pro's section for xbox.
  • Backward compatibility. While both consoles promise to play almost all of the previous gen games. Its pretty safe to assume that Microsoft will have the upper hand here. Especially when you want to play games that go back more than one console generation. Sony has had quite a few architecture changes between generations while Microsoft architecture remain somewhat similar. Sony has managed to somewhat circumvent this problem by offering previously loved classics as digital downloads on the playstation store which work on the new console through emulation. But this means that your old playstation 3 disc of a game probably wont work on the new console. And if said game is available as a digital emulated port on the store. You will probably have to pay for it. Essentially asking certain consumers to pay for the same game twice. This doesn't mean that all xbox games will work on the new xbox. But I'll touch on that later.

Xbox

Pros

• Windows and the Microsoft ecosystem. Let face it. Xbox doesn't have the best hand compared to Sony. But this is ace up its sleeve. The integration of the xbox your windows pc is huge. Especially if you're a pc gamer. And lets not forget. We're talking about the operating system used globally by just about every computer today. Well mostly. This has several benefits. The first of which is their subscription service. Lets try and put this in perspective.
  •  
  • Ubisofts subscription is around R300 pm. Nice selection. But for pc versions of games only. Ubisoft games only. 
  • Origins subscription service is around R250 pm. Nice selection. But for pc versions of games only. EA (and associated studios) games only.
  • Playstation plus. Around R150 pm. Lots of great games. Probably the best overall selection but only Playstation compatible variants. 
  • Microsoft game pass. Around R150 pm. Decent Selection. But, and this is a big one.  Any game owned through purchase or through subscription will be owned on both Xbox and Windows PC. Provided said title supports it. This in independent from whether a title supports cross play. So lets say a game has an xbox version and a windows version. Whether players on both platforms can play said game together is irrelevant. Your subscription will still grant you access to both versions. Its practically the same app for games used by your xbox, running on your pc.
  •  
  • But skollie. Why would I want to own 2 different versions of the same game? I don't need the same game on both my computer and xbox. Thats silly. You need to look at the bigger picture here. Certain games you prefer to play on computer. Others you prefer to play on Xbox. Lets assume for now that the primary reason you make this preference is based on the controls. You play soccer and racing with a controller. But prefer playing shooters with a key and mouse. With your microsoft sub you can this fulfill this preference for one measly subscription fee. If you ever intended paying for a single title in Microsofts library. Whether you wanted it on xbox or computer. If you subscribe instead. You've gotten way WAY more value for money. Because now, not only can you play the game you wanted at a fraction of the price. But every other game in the library is now available for you to play on windows or xbox. You choice. Nobody else can offer that. 
  •  
  • The Xbox Control. I'm not talking about preference here. Whether you like the feel of a PS or Xbox controller is a personal thing and they both do the job equally well.I mention the xbox control because of its unmatched integration outside of consoles. 

Anyways I've been tapping away at this post between work and emails for the last 2 hours. My power will go off shortly so I'll finish up later

Edited by popcorn_skollie

Phone them and ask. I'm sure they could arrange something for you.

Im sure if you havnt recieved it any order can be changed.

Cyberpunk big talk, never been my theme

My son took the options to the council (his gaming friends/geeks ..[emoji2356]) and after consideration and applying their minds and apparently 40 min worth of further reviews and YouTube videos during last period at school (told you all they were done with the year's work) said it wouldn't be neccessary to change the order, they all decided that the one I ordered is perfect..apparently the one I ordered has some specs that he is after...I donno i just nod and wave[emoji1787].

I shall leave it at that then... [emoji2368]

Edited by Gen

It's certainly not my intention to cause any buyers remorse. Just presenting value as I see it. If we talking from a purely gaming perspective here. If it was my 20k. 144hz baby. No doubt. It's one of those things pc gamers dangle like a carrot condascendingly above console peasents. High refresh rates were impossible on television sets only until very recently. Meaning that most games even now on current gen consoles run at around 30fps. Yes seriously. Because 99% of television sets dont support high refresh rates. But gaming monitors for pcs do. High refresh rate gaming on console is very early in development. And we will see it become more prevalent once new consoles kick off. But while consoles struggle to achieve 120fps. The pc market already boasts a plethora of gaming monitors as high as 240hz. It's why the debate has always had this derogatory tone from the pc master race. If you game on console exclusively. You dont know what high refresh rate gaming is. And once you've experienced it. You'd never wanna go back. The difference is chalk and cheese. And often means the having the upper hand if playing competitively. For some perspective on how big a disparity we talking here. Google monitor pricing for 60hz and and equivalent spaced 144hz. The pricing difference will shock you. Anyways it's still a bloody good machine that most gamers will drool over irrespective. I would love to know what that reason is though. Keeping the old option. Probably something I missed. Possibly work related? What field of study are we talking here? Is it the IO? Support for external media or connectivity? Didnt check that. Congrats on the purchase. I'm still jealous either way

Lets do a pros and cons of the new consoles to help everyone decide.

Well written - it's usually the exclusives that swings it for me (at least in the sense of which console I will buy first). Rest is interesting but I'm not enough of a discerning gamer for that to really influence the decision.

It's certainly not my intention to cause any buyers remorse. Just presenting value as I see it. If we talking from a purely gaming perspective here. If it was my 20k. 144hz baby. No doubt. It's one of those things pc gamers dangle like a carrot condascendingly above console peasents. High refresh rates were impossible on television sets only until very recently. Meaning that most games even now on current gen consoles run at around 30fps. Yes seriously. Because 99% of television sets dont support high refresh rates. But gaming monitors for pcs do. High refresh rate gaming on console is very early in development. And we will see it become more prevalent once new consoles kick off. But while consoles struggle to achieve 120fps. The pc market already boasts a plethora of gaming monitors as high as 240hz. It's why the debate has always had this derogatory tone from the pc master race. If you game on console exclusively. You dont know what high refresh rate gaming is. And once you've experienced it. You'd never wanna go back. The difference is chalk and cheese. And often means the having the upper hand if playing competitively. For some perspective on how big a disparity we talking here. Google monitor pricing for 60hz and and equivalent spaced 144hz. The pricing difference will shock you. Anyways it's still a bloody good machine that most gamers will drool over irrespective. I would love to know what that reason is though. Keeping the old option. Probably something I missed. Possibly work related? What field of study are we talking here? Is it the IO? Support for external media or connectivity? Didnt check that. Congrats on the purchase. I'm still jealous either way

Apparently a lot has to do with the RAM (he doesn't want to upgrade straight away) the SSD and cache that was the deciding factor.[emoji2368]

Edit.. I have to mention that he is very excited and loves his daddy very much [emoji16]

Oh and thx for your input it actually helped him as well he could really have a look at the 2 to see what he wants out of a PC.. these things all help to make an informed decision. [emoji106]

Edited by Gen

:) 

I also skipped on the 144hz screen, Solid state storage is expensive.

I bought ram afterwards to increase mine.

In end ill use my laptop 4 years then buy a new one, with better specs again.

Pass on mine to daughter maybe, she should just be interested.

With current rate of tech improvement 4 years is pushing a bit on boundary of old but ill live ;)

:)

I also skipped on the 144hz screen, Solid state storage is expensive.

I bought ram afterwards to increase mine.

In end ill use my laptop 4 years then buy a new one, with better specs again.

Pass on mine to daughter maybe, she should just be interested.

With current rate of tech improvement 4 years is pushing a bit on boundary of old but ill live ;)

Very difficult to keep up with the tech..