2013 Freedom Challenge Updates

GLuvsMtb

I see most of the riders seem to be riding in groups with their start groups, is this a matter of matching like strengths, or just easier to ride in a group. I know it will be easier to ride in groups once they get beyond Molteno, and onto the flatter sections, but I'm interested in the reason before this, in the highlands.

Hi Deanbean

Re the groups, there is no real mix and match in the groups – unless guys specifically request to ride together, but the nature of the race means it is probably better to ride with someone else, unless you are supremely confident of your own ability – ie there is strength in numbers, from a support perspective – both moral and physical.

On the downside if you have a group of 6 and each one pees at different times and a couple of times a day, the total pee stops get ridiculous – excuse the crude example but it really is like that and you end up losing about 30 mins riding time each day with this. Then add to that the navigation and map reading – if every one of the six weigh in with their opinion and you then have to reach consensus if is the “left cattle track or the one to the right through the bushes and into the river” then you can add at least another 45mins to your day. Add that all up and you get another hour or so on the trail instead of riding.

So I think the ideal Group is 2/3 guys who know exactly each other’s strengths and weaknesses ( and hopeful pee all at the same time….).

I think the Dreyers will prove that their bond is their strength in their incredible ride so far.

You are correct that beyond Molteno it does get easier and you have to be asleep to mess up the navigation, but it does happen. There is basically no drafting on the route - the speed is never high enough....

Edited by tubed

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct that beyond Molteno it does get easier and you have to be asleep to mess up the navigation, but it does happen. There is basically no drafting on the route - the speed is never high enough....

I'm sure that with the winds we get in the dry winters, and this one is dry, drafting would be done, I'm an EC farmer, and we end up drafting in some of the rides we do, even riding downhill, the wind is so strong.

Thanks for the updates.

I'm sure that with the winds we get in the dry winters, and this one is dry, drafting would be done, I'm an EC farmer, and we end up drafting in some of the rides we do, even riding downhill, the wind is so strong.

Thanks for the updates.

Ja, you guys are a tough bunch for sure - the cold and the wind are a painful combination. I remember drafting once into Hofmeyer on a nice long downhill - but I suspect it was more the lure pies than anything else. Edited by tubed

I see most of the riders seem to be riding in groups with their start groups, is this a matter of matching like strengths, or just easier to ride in a group. I know it will be easier to ride in groups once they get beyond Molteno, and onto the flatter sections, but I'm interested in the reason before this, in the highlands.

Probably navigation - especially guys tacckling difficult sections in the dark. It's tricky enough in broad daylight.

Day 11: the highs and lows

I have been writing this daily update for 11 days now and I am still full of enthusiasm, but sometimes it is best left up to the guys in the fray to say it themselves, so please have a quick read of the two blog entries below, they describe the highs and lows of this event.

I don’t know Alexander Venter at all, about three days ago I posted a pic of him with his bike held aloft on top of Lehanas, read the raw emotion of his blog now – I have done the drive from that farm to Bloem after bailing, its horrible and it wont get better for some time, sorry Alexander.

http://alexanderventer.blogspot.com/2013/06/day-9-on-my-way-back-to-pta.html

The next blog post is of the irrepressible Marnitz Nienaber, who lost his brother to what was supposed to be a very special ride for him, a celebration of a race he is so passionate about and which he wanted to share with his brother, that dream is also shattered, but Marnitz will finish alone despite everything being thrown at him.

http://afreedomexper...oewige-dag.html

Finally there is the joker group from Gauteng (see Photo), this is JackBlack and Co, they have been together since PMB all the way to Rhodes and some are carrying on others going home as planned. Whatever the case the smiles of the brothers in arms tell a story of a special time together – these guys will never forget the ride, hope some are back for more next year.

(PS: if you haven’t read Glenn’s blog as posted earlier by cat-I, then read that too http://glennharrison...n-and-ride.html )

post-1509-0-31171900-1371674909_thumb.jpg

Unofficially lying in third after the Dreyer machine, this is from Andrew King.

Andrew king sneaks 3rd place in race to Rhodes 65hrs 55mins pipping SS Glenn Harrison by 5 mins:

"3 days of some massive ups and downs but so chuffed to have made it to Rhodes. 500kms with 17000 meters of ascent on 6 hours of sleep in 66-hours. Managed to destroy 4 spokes on day one with a wattle branch and shocks lost pressure resulting in a very sore and swollen wrist. The legs are strong and all mechanicals are sorted though and thanks for the wonderful ongoing moral and logistical support I am gathering myself to push on. Cultivating a beautiful sock tan as well. Thanks for all the support."

(The very last thing I would want to do is start any sort of comparison, but sometimes perspective is useful, last night the Cape Pioneer Trek route was announced 549km, 11657m ascent, 7 days. So this just indicates the magnitude of Andrew's achievement, the fact that he rode from CT to Pmb to start and after that did the Comrades just adds to the awe.)

Probably navigation - especially guys tacckling difficult sections in the dark. It's tricky enough in broad daylight.

I did the ride to Rhodes with friends as a social ride. Initially I thought it was good to be in a group for safety reasons. I soon learnt this was not the case. Every place we went the people were awesome. On the whole route we were greeted by one and all. The locals were so friendly. total strangers treated us like lost best friends. It was on of the biggest impacts on me i.e. the total open hearts of people who have so little but treated us so well.

I did the ride to Rhodes with friends as a social ride. Initially I thought it was good to be in a group for safety reasons. I soon learnt this was not the case. Every place we went the people were awesome. On the whole route we were greeted by one and all. The locals were so friendly. total strangers treated us like lost best friends. It was on of the biggest impacts on me i.e. the total open hearts of people who have so little but treated us so well.

Spot on - one of the most abiding memories of the Trail is the feeling of absolute freedom and peace - never once did one feel your personal security was under threat and the hospitality of the people you meet also leaves a lasting impression. I would say the fact that you are on a bicycle is also a large contributor to the way in which people perceive you.

Andrew king sneaks 3rd place in race to Rhodes 65hrs 55mins pipping SS Glenn Harrison by 5 mins:

"3 days of some massive ups and downs but so chuffed to have made it to Rhodes. 500kms with 17000 meters of ascent on 6 hours of sleep in 66-hours. Managed to destroy 4 spokes on day one with a wattle branch and shocks lost pressure resulting in a very sore and swollen wrist. The legs are strong and all mechanicals are sorted though and thanks for the wonderful ongoing moral and logistical support I am gathering myself to push on. Cultivating a beautiful sock tan as well. Thanks for all the support."

(The very last thing I would want to do is start any sort of comparison, but sometimes perspective is useful, last night the Cape Pioneer Trek route was announced 549km, 11657m ascent, 7 days. So this just indicates the magnitude of Andrew's achievement, the fact that he rode from CT to Pmb to start and after that did the Comrades just adds to the awe.)

Thank you so much for your updates - has been great reading.

Being on the support crew of Unogwaja gives a new found respect for someone like Andrew taking this on after an already massive 11 days.

Keep the updates going!

Andrew king sneaks 3rd place in race to Rhodes 65hrs 55mins pipping SS Glenn Harrison by 5 mins: .......

.........So this just indicates the magnitude of Andrew's achievement, the fact that he rode from CT to Pmb to start and after that did the Comrades just adds to the awe.)

That is simply amazing, just shows what the human body can do

Thank you so much for your updates - has been great reading.

Being on the support crew of Unogwaja gives a new found respect for someone like Andrew taking this on after an already massive 11 days.

Keep the updates going!

Thanks Ilana, I had the pleasure of spending time with Andrew last year as he followed us for about 4/5 days on his GS, I think few people know what an accomplished photographer he is, I still hope to chat about that in the coming days. My family and friends had the race brought alive last year by his world class camera work - I am hoping to do a bit of that with words this year, but they say a picture tells a thousand words and in Andrew's case that is the truth.

I've found this in the Transkei as well. SAs rural folk are very hospitable. Great to hear it's like that in the berg too.