Cooking Ostrich

Garfield2010

I was recently at a game festival. They had this cooked ostrich which was awesome. It was like a stew. The meat was soft.

So I went to the shop and bought a Ostrich Fillet. When I got home I realised that I had no clue on how to cook it....

Do I brown it in a pan and then put it in a slow cooker with stock and red wine for 12 hours?

Is there any hubber experts on Ostrich? Please only comment if you know and have done this before.

I have not made Ostrich stew before, but I am very fond of braaiing or frying Ostrich fillets.

I will marinade it for about 30 minutes in Balsamic Vinegar, and then get to cooking. Just make sure you do not overcook it. It tastes best medium-rare, but medium is fine as well.

Anything more, in this form tastes like cardboard.

Try it your own way, thats the only way to find the perfect way of cooking, plus it will be your masterpiece should it come out really brilliantly.... Otherwise, search google for recipes and methods... :D

I was recently at a game festival. They had this cooked ostrich which was awesome. It was like a stew. The meat was soft.

So I went to the shop and bought a Ostrich Fillet. When I got home I realised that I had no clue on how to cook it....

Do I brown it in a pan and then put it in a slow cooker with stock and red wine for 12 hours?

Is there any hubber experts on Ostrich? Please only comment if you know and have done this before.

I wont call myself an expert, but have have been cooking ostrich to my liking for a couple of years. I usually buy the Fillit, then I rub some normal salt, black pepper, cloves and chilli flakes with some olive oil onto the meat.

I then get a grill pan super hot and grill each side about 1 minute, turning sideways on the same side to get the criss cross effect.

I have only made ostrich fillets on the braai.

drizzle lightly with olive oil, a wee bit of garlic flakes, some herbs and spices to your liking.

and braai on hot coals. i prefer to turn frequently and eat it medium to rare.

Like jcza, said - anything more than medium is tough.

i usually cook mine in the same way as i would cook beef.

for making stew, brown in a pan and cook in sherry/sweet wine instead of red wine (works wonders with any venison) and add all the other odds, ends and trimmings you prefer.

Otherwise, grill in the weber over high heat, after marinating in sherry, chutney, onion, ginger, chilly and garlic for about 3 hours.

o ja for pies, marinade and cook the meat in stout (castle is ok, guiness is best)

Ok so obviously the feeling is the fillet should be braaied. Will pan fry medium rare thx!

a lot of ppl seem to make the mistake thinking that ostrich is like chicken and must be cooked through, on a braai with lots of spices and really just seared is the best - if you want to stew it, slow cook after browning for about 1hr - 1.5 hours - much like any other potjie

And yes while I'm vegetarian I can cook meat :whistling:

i usually cook mine in the same way as i would cook beef.

for making stew, brown in a pan and cook in sherry/sweet wine instead of red wine (works wonders with any venison) and add all the other odds, ends and trimmings you prefer.

Otherwise, grill in the weber over high heat, after marinating in sherry, chutney, onion, ginger, chilly and garlic for about 3 hours.

o ja for pies, marinade and cook the meat in stout (castle is ok, guiness is best)

That sounds lekker!

That sounds lekker!

nog een, after marinating the fillet in the poison of your choice, cut it into medallions and roll in black pepper and pop onto the coals.

ostrich trinchado.

take ostrich cubes or cut the fillet to smaller pieces, chuck into a pot with chopped crushed rosemary and garlic with a chopped onion, small button mushrooms if you like can be added. cook until the meat starts to brown( really only about 5 min)

add 1 cup white wine to deglaze and a tub of creme fresh or sour cream with a bit of chicken stock. add chiliesto taste( not required but does add to the dish if you like hot food) add salt and fresh crushed black pepper to taste.

turn heat down to low and simmer for about an hour.

just before serving add 1 tablespoon mazena to a little cold water to make a runny paste and add to dish to thicken the sauce.

serve with fresh hot buttered ciabatta rolls.