2013 Trans Baviaans 24 hour - Questions

zafischerman

Hi Folks, if anyone is looking for a late spot on a Trans team please give me PM me. I think they are targeting around 16h 30m.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup:

Not all of his advice is good.......he wears long white socks when he rides his mountain bike.

Thanks B-mozz, those are some great tips. We're also first timers so all info is welcome!

How big are the boxes they give you? And is it one per team or one per rider?

Where is the last water crossing? So we don't have to pack a change of socks?

Cheers

My guess is that they are roughly 300mm deep, 600mm by 400mm. The last water crossing is usually near condomo, but we have also had to cross water at the start of Neverender in 2011. Personally I have never bothered doing a clothing change and that includes socks, but I might just consider doing a sock change if you see the weather is getting really cold.

My guess is that they are roughly 300mm deep, 600mm by 400mm. The last water crossing is usually near condomo, but we have also had to cross water at the start of Neverender in 2011. Personally I have never bothered doing a clothing change and that includes socks, but I might just consider doing a sock change if you see the weather is getting really cold.

Thanks. :thumbup:

Hi Guys

I have accommodation that I won't be using anymore. It's for 4 people. in the middle of Willowmore about 700m from the start B & B. two double rooms. Very nice. I've been using this place for the last 3 transbaviaans's.

If anyone is interrested, pm me

Hi Guys

I have accommodation that I won't be using anymore. It's for 4 people. in the middle of Willowmore about 700m from the start B & B. two double rooms. Very nice. I've been using this place for the last 3 transbaviaans's.

If anyone is interrested, pm me

Dibs

Thanks B-mozz, those are some great tips. We're also first timers so all info is welcome!

How big are the boxes they give you? And is it one per team or one per rider?

Where is the last water crossing? So we don't have to pack a change of socks?

Cheers

Think big plastic cooler box... something like that.

No point changing socks last year until CP4.

After that there was only 1 water crossing after CP5 (but most folks took their shoes & leggings off for that).

I don't know if the last water crossing floods every year...

Any suggestions on tyre choice and pressure? I'm assuming it's mostly gravel roads with not much techinical stuff so something fast rolling?

I have a 4-man entry available + 1 night accommodation (at start, not finish) if anyone interested. PM

Think big plastic cooler box... something like that.

No point changing socks last year until CP4.

After that there was only 1 water crossing after CP5 (but most folks took their shoes & leggings off for that).

I don't know if the last water crossing floods every year...

That water crossing at Kondomo has only been flooded twice in the last 9 years. Same for that water crossing just before the climb at Suurbron (used to be the last unmanned checkpoint).

Any suggestions on tyre choice and pressure? I'm assuming it's mostly gravel roads with not much techinical stuff so something fast rolling?

If it's dry, a fast rolling tyre is ideal. If it's wet, and I'm talking 2006 wet, it gets super muddy, so make sure your tyres clear mud quite well.

Run your tyres a tad harder,the first 100k is just ground roads.When you enter the real Baviaans it get a bit rocky but once past Bergplaas it's back to g.roads.

I see the finish is now at Fountains mall I hope we don't have to climb that crap hill from Kabeljous river to the top

I have a 4-man entry available + 1 night accommodation (at start, not finish) if anyone interested. PM

Can I take the accommodation only??

Looks like the bad weather is coming for us this year.

My training only started to taking shape the last month(3 weeks) so its going to be a tough one.

Tyre pressure can be run +-2bar. I run mine 1.8. fast rolling rear and something like a xking infront. dont run rocket rons infront on any course, i see my arse almost every weekend on gravel with them.

Good luck chaps, its gonna be chillie!

Anyone got an idea of how much water is around the route so far? Seems like no floods like last year. Predictions?

I dont think you need to worry about high water levels.We have not had nearly the amount of rain as last year.

The long term forecast on Accuweather also suggests no serious weather it predicts a sunny week for the Trans--hold thumbs

I dont think you need to worry about high water levels.We have not had nearly the amount of rain as last year.

The long term forecast on Accuweather also suggests no serious weather it predicts a sunny week for the Trans--hold thumbs

Thats good news, for now. But things tend to change come august.

if theres no water like last year, it will be fast. 26ers hold on