AM riding in Gauteng

Green MTB

Hi guys. This has probably been discussed at length, however...

Do you think that AM rigs are out of place in JHB/Gauteng?

I've been looking to get a full-susser for ages, and enjoy technical trails, single-track, and not racing.

There are such awesome (-riding; -looking; -reviewing) bikes on the market, Yeti SB-66/95, Commencal Meta-AM, but are these overkill for Gauteng trails?

And given that there are some great trails around, the pay-off for AM i.e. flowing downhills seems to low compared to the slog uphills and along the flats.

Am I chasing a dream here? And is the compromise a LT trail bike, or an adjustable fork?

Any opinions valued.

Nah dude. Come ride the spruit with us. Can show you more than one spot where a proper AM bike works really well. :D

The only bike I have is an AM bike. Had a more "flat and climb" oriented bike before and ended up selling it because it simply wasnt being used.

All the JHB trails can easily be ridden with 140 to 160mm travel and you will have more than enough fun on the way.

Go for the bike. You won't be sorry.

Edited by S.I.R Maxxis

A LT bike is probably overkill fro the majority of JHB trails, that said, you can definitely seek out fun AM sections in and around Gauteng.

Van Gaalens is probably the best on offer TBH. Slog up the hills and play down, but we have plenty fun along the spruit too.

Personally I don't enjoy riding more XC oriented bikes so i'm willing to sacrifice pace to ride a bike that puts a bigger smile on my face.

My findings are....an AM is the perfect all rounder.

In the last 2 months I have completed a few normal rides in and around jhb, a stage race and have now ridden a national down hill course too.

I might not have been competitive but I sure had loads of fun. Best buy for me ever.

Linksfield Ridge "Nature Reserve" holds hooj possibilities in this regard.

Its pretty much deserted and fenced off, only people up there are criminals that have informal sector facilities to precess stolen cable (using the Protea trees for firewood)

Edited by kosmonooit

There are spots we you would be able to play, like they guys said, but I think what you and I are looking for don't exist here in Gauteng.

When I think AM & bikes with 150mm+ travel, Jonkershoek, Tokai, Welvanpas, Karkloof comes to mind. Those spots seems to fit the bill, but I guess you can ride your bike here and still have fun, just not as much as those with the REAL all-mountain terrain.

Funny that if there really is AM terrain in Gauteng, why haven't we seen any Enduro events here? :ph34r:

Get an AM bike, if the trail you are on gets boring try wheelie/manual/endo the whole time and see how much fun you have on the bike. Perhaps even try riding next to the trail or up trees :thumbup:

Atleast thats what I pretend I am doing instead of admitting I cant hold a line :whistling:

It's not necessarily 'All Mountain' so to speak, but there's a lot of rocky, technical riding available at Thaba Trails. Most of it can be ridden on an XC rig (if u flippen talented like me then all of it's rideable), but there are a lot of sections where I wish I still had my Heckler to go bombing down with. It's not like we're spoilt for choice up here, but it's far better than the spruit. Let me know when all you AM lads (I think the lass has been there) are keen on checking it out. I'll be your tour guide.

Nah dude. Come ride the spruit with us. Can show you more than one spot where a proper AM bike works really well. :D

The only bike I have is an AM bike. Had a more "flat and climb" oriented bike before and ended up selling it because it simply wasnt being used.

All the JHB trails can easily be ridden with 140 to 160mm travel and you will have more than enough fun on the way.

Go for the bike. You won't be sorry.

Riding the Spruit is just a thrill anyway: cool jump-sections, dodgy-vagrant-dodging, river sand :)

And more fun than SpaceJunk?! ;)

A LT bike is probably overkill fro the majority of JHB trails, that said, you can definitely seek out fun AM sections in and around Gauteng.

Van Gaalens is probably the best on offer TBH. Slog up the hills and play down, but we have plenty fun along the spruit too.

Personally I don't enjoy riding more XC oriented bikes so i'm willing to sacrifice pace to ride a bike that puts a bigger smile on my face.

Buy what you want and like. You will find a place to ride it

The search for the AM ride coincides with the quest for the RM riding. (Real Mountain)

Linksfield Ridge "Nature Reserve" holds hooj possibilities in this regard.

Its pretty much deserted and fenced off, only people up there are criminals that have informal sector facilities to precess stolen cable (using the Protea trees for firewood)

... and absolutely NO use for an expensive bike. Haha. Yeah, there are some gnarly-looking descents on the Northern side, spotted from the air.

My findings are....an AM is the perfect all rounder.

In the last 2 months I have completed a few normal rides in and around jhb, a stage race and have now ridden a national down hill course too.

I might not have been competitive but I sure had loads of fun. Best buy for me ever.

Nice. Perfect all-rounder pretty much does it for me.