Shimano Shadow PLUS vs. SRAM Type 2

nolipoli

I recently changed bikes from a Giant Reign with an XT Shadow PLUS rear derailleur to a Giant Trance X 29er with a SRAM X9 Type 2 rear derailleur.

I AM SO DISAPPOINTED!!!

The Reign never lost its chain, and I rode a lot of gnarly rocky trails on it. It was quiet and efficient, and I was always confident that I could just mash on the pedals after a rocky descent.

Now I am losing my chain all the time. The chain slaps all over the show, making noise and generally effing with my chi. I have to look down all the time to make sure that the chain is actually on before I can pedal again.

The chain is the original factory length, and the whole drivetrain is still new.

Did SRAM just miss the boat, or is there something I have missed?

I don't get chain slap but I drop my chain all the time(off the big blade) . It happens if I just lift the back wheel and drop it. Might just be specific to the trance 29er 2 setup.

been using SRAM X.9 Type II on my trail bike for a long time now. Haven't dropped a chain in the gnar once, especially during the recent enduro events. Did it's job superbly. Maybe your one is a bum mech?

but on a 26" Trance.

Edited by Capricorn

When you say you losing your chain, I assume you mean off the chainrings. If that's the case it's your front Der. that needs setting.

I just installed an XO type 2 on my 2 X 10 setup and very impressed with the way it works. I also did a lot of reading up on the type 2 and the SRAM system was a lot more popular than Shitmano.

the one major difference between the two friction clutch implementions, is that the shimano offers adjustable friction, whereas the SRAMs is factory set. I initially thought the lack of adjustment would become a PITA, turns out not to be the case: works just fine.

Noli - is your chain the right length? I know from personal experience that a chain with even 2 links too many has a dramatically higher chance of coming off than one of the right length.

Noli - is your chain the right length? I know from personal experience that a chain with even 2 links too many has a dramatically higher chance of coming off than one of the right length.

+1, sounds like a chain that is too long. Use the over big blade and biggest cog method for measuring it.

+1, sounds like a chain that is too long. Use the over big blade and biggest cog method for measuring it.

Yes. And in this config the RD must be stretched like hell. Almost to the limit.

agree with Armpies; check chainlength ( I had to remove 4 links) - have not had a day's problems since fitting my X9 type 2 six months ago.

Yes. And in this config the RD must be stretched like hell. Almost to the limit.

Shouldn't they cut new bike chains to length?

Shouldn't they cut new bike chains to length?

They don't. It's also frame size specific. Longer seat stay = longer chain etc.

Far easier to just put a generic uncut chain on the bike.

Also - it would imply some sort of initiative.

Being a dual susser big+big chain sizing needs to happen with shock depressed, otherwise you might be in for a surprise going over a bump or drop.

Good point, Yazzo.

Noli - let all the air out that shock of yours and check the chain length. adjust, cut and reinflate.

It's a pleasure. :)

They don't. It's also frame size specific. Longer seat stay = longer chain etc.

Far easier to just put a generic uncut chain on the bike.

Also - it would imply some sort of initiative.

LBS should have done those small things :thumbdown:

LBS should have done those small things :thumbdown:

ROFL. Never, dude. Only a few select LBS's actually do that.

They should do that, yes. Do they? No. They should also fit a quicklink once done. Do they? No.

Again, a generalisation