Where to refurbish my frames?

dylankeyter

Take old box, lay frame down and stick on the plascon remove and leave! Leave it somme a lekke long time. You will see the paint lifting, looks like its boiling. Then just take it and hose it down where you can wash the waste away or so. My advise is to put on a layer tonight and and clean tomorrow morning. When frame is clean, i sanded it down with 500 - 800 - 1000 - 1200 - 1500 - 2000 grid waterbased sandpaper without water. When all big scratces are out and all looks good, polish! Go buy Autosol at Autozone, its like Braso and then polish away! Im still gonna polish it with an air polisher later.

Thanks for that, I'm just a bit wary of washing waste straight down the drain. Are you leaving the frame as polished or are you going to spray it, I'm getting mine sprayed so wondering If I need to sand it down as much as you have?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you use paint remover to remove the paint and you gonna paint the bare aluminium then make sure you use a etching primer else your paint job will not last very long .

What does it look like if you put decals on powdercoated frame then clearcoated?

If you use paint remover to remove the paint and you gonna paint the bare aluminium then make sure you use a etching primer else your paint job will not last very long .

My DH bike will be due for stripping again soon. Initially I had it chemically stripped (best R100 I have spent in a while!) and then "brushed" it with 600 water paper. Friend of mine with a panel shop shot it with clear for me. (In hindsight I should have had it clear powder coated) The clearcoat directly over the raw aluminium looked awesome until the first scratch or chip arrived. It's mountainbiking. It IS going to happen. Things have gone south since then. Every wash takes off a little bit more clear. Next step is to strip and redo the frame. This time with clear powder coat.

My DH bike will be due for stripping again soon. Initially I had it chemically stripped (best R100 I have spent in a while!) and then "brushed" it with 600 water paper. Friend of mine with a panel shop shot it with clear for me. (In hindsight I should have had it clear powder coated) The clearcoat directly over the raw aluminium looked awesome until the first scratch or chip arrived. It's mountainbiking. It IS going to happen. Things have gone south since then. Every wash takes off a little bit more clear. Next step is to strip and redo the frame. This time with clear powder coat.

Why bother with the clear? If you leave it raw you can touch up any scratches with a piece of waterpaper easy-peasy. Aluminium doesn't rust and even when it dulls a bit still looks awesome.

My previous attempt also did not last long . Lets see how long this one lasts .

post-104-0-09743100-1373532678_thumb.jpg

Why bother with the clear? If you leave it raw you can touch up any scratches with a piece of waterpaper easy-peasy. Aluminium doesn't rust and even when it dulls a bit still looks awesome.

Matter of choice really. Personally I think that the raw uncoated aluminium looks unfinished. Coat it and the finish is more factory than garage. I like the raw aluminium look but I also want a bit of shine.

My previous attempt also did not last long . Lets see how long this one lasts .

No more Camo?

Looks good. Still sticking with the custom branded logo?

Edited by Grebel

Thanks for that, I'm just a bit wary of washing waste straight down the drain. Are you leaving the frame as polished or are you going to spray it, I'm getting mine sprayed so wondering If I need to sand it down as much as you have?

Nope, polished part gnna stay as is and then some spray! Will post pics when that happens. Dont have to sand it down, just when frame has big scratches and marks you want to get rid of and like Dirt-Rider says, make sure of prep before spray. This frame of mine is gonna be a custom built 1x10 as XX1 too expensive. I cant clear powdercoat the frame as the rear stays are carbon. Gonna try something new withframe, cant let the cat out the bag just yet........