2x10 Conversion

Rudi Pollard

So I have been contemplating converting my bike to a 2x10 26/39 setup. The question I have what is the easiest and cheapest way to get it done.

I currently have a 22/33/44 SRAM S1000 crankset. Can I simply remove the big ring, add the two rings I want, and fit a 2x10 front derailler and a 2 speed front shifter or do I need to replace the entire crankset as well?

OK,

Seems like your crank has a fixed spider with 104/64 BCD 4-bolt pattern.

You can convert to 2x10 quite easily but there might be a slight compromise on chainline.

These rings will fit your current crankset:

Small ring 26T ( fits onto your 64 BCD tabs):

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54369

Middle ring 38T( fits to the inner side of your 104 BCD tabs):

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54368

After fitting these you just need to adjust your front derailleur clamp height as well as your FD limit screws to suit the new shifting limits and you are good to go.

When I was still into Marathon racing in 2009 I converted a 3x9 groupset this way and used a 38/26 2x9 setup on a 29er hardtail and it ran trouble free for 10 000 + km. The chainrings will obviously wear a bit faster on a 2x setup. Mine lasted about 4500-5000km.

So I have been contemplating converting my bike to a 2x10 26/39 setup. The question I have what is the easiest and cheapest way to get it done.

I currently have a 22/33/44 SRAM S1000 crankset. Can I simply remove the big ring, add the two rings I want, and fit a 2x10 front derailler and a 2 speed front shifter or do I need to replace the entire crankset as well?

What is your reasoning behind the move? I was also contemplating changing, but the weight saving is minimal.

What is your reasoning behind the move? I was also contemplating changing, but the weight saving is minimal.

Less movement on the front derailer which will mean smoother shifting. I never use the granny, and very rarely the big ring. Most of the time I am in middle and going through the 11-36 casette. Think 1x11 will be awesome for my riding style but thats a bit outside the budget at this moment in time.

I also have a few questions please.Is there not a 10 speed specific chain that you need for 10 speed? Is there a difference in 10 speed 29" and 10 speed 26" with regard to casette sizing?

I also have a few questions please.Is there not a 10 speed specific chain that you need for 10 speed? Is there a difference in 10 speed 29" and 10 speed 26" with regard to casette sizing?

The only difference will be chain length.

nope.

the diff comes in with bike length (BB to hanger/drop out) - thus the chain is longer....well you still buy the same chain, just take less links out for a 29er

Yes, if you need a 26 small chainring give me a shout I have a brand (still in packaging) new one in my box of tricks

Less movement on the front derailer which will mean smoother shifting. I never use the granny, and very rarely the big ring. Most of the time I am in middle and going through the 11-36 casette. Think 1x11 will be awesome for my riding style but thats a bit outside the budget at this moment in time.

just go 1x10....why not?

OK,

Seems like your crank has a fixed spider with 104/64 BCD 4-bolt pattern.

You can convert to 2x10 quite easily but there might be a slight compromise on chainline.

These rings will fit your current crankset:

Small ring 26T ( fits onto your 64 BCD tabs):

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=54369

Middle ring 38T( fits to the inner side of your 104 BCD tabs):

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=54368

After fitting these you just need to adjust your front derailleur clamp height as well as your FD limit screws to suit the new shifting limits and you are good to go.

When I was still into Marathon racing in 2009 I converted a 3x9 groupset this way and used a 38/26 2x9 setup on a 29er hardtail and it ran trouble free for 10 000 + km. The chainrings will obviously wear a bit faster on a 2x setup. Mine lasted about 4500-5000km.

How does this work the shifter? Do you just have to be careful to not shift up/down three times?

Edited by wonduhboy

Or even simpler. Replace your outer ring with a Bash guard (see attached). And job done. If you like, you can still change you small ring to 26.

post-25017-0-18806500-1373026939_thumb.jpg

been reading over these threads for a while, and been considering the same, but there were some good points in the other thread - you're spending a hell of a lot on only a bit of weight saving.

I'd rather take a few months to toughen up and go from 3 x 10 to 1 x 11, removing the whole front der + shifter. Would do it now, but i need my 24 x 36 for monster climbs still. Guys running on 1 x 9 / 10 / 11 - what are you running? 30 x 11-38 sort of thinng?

just go 1x10....why not?

+1. on a 2x10 running 26 front ring and 36 back gives you a 0.7222 ratio. if you run a 1x11 with 30 in front and an extra 39t rear, then you're running a 0.769 ratio for granny... with no front shifting.

Edited by Captain Cheesy