Which is your favourite value for money bib? (Poll)

M L

Cycling Bibs  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Your favourite value for money bib

• Assos Uno - R1900
    • Assos Mille - R2400
    • First ascent domestiq - R500
    • First ascent endurance - R700
    • First ascent revolution - R900
    • First ascent pro elite - R1300
    • CWC team - R550
    • Santini max core - R875
    • Santini max tempo - R1200
    • Santini gara- R1500
    • Santini carbon - R1700
    • Santini sleek - R2100
    • 2XU comp - R2100
    • Cape Storm storm rider - R380
    • Cape Storm Nitros - 925
    • Vermarc relax - R1250
    • Vermarc FRC - R1650
    • Nalini chiolite - R800
    • Nalini chiolite - R800
    • My favourite is in a different section.
  2. 2. Your favourite value for money bib

• Nalini spino - R900
    • Nalini lambro - R1300
    • Nalini MOA - R1400
    • Newline mens 8 - R900
    • Castelli presto - R885
    • Castelli T3 - R1000
    • Castelli valocissimo - R1100
    • Castelli inferno - R1450
    • Giordana trade - R775
    • Giordana sport- R750
    • Giordana classic - R830
    • Anatomic 100 miler
    • Anatomic Classic - R500
    • Anatomic racer - R700
    • Anatomic ergonomic - R1050
    • Craft performance - R1000
    • Craft active - R750
    • Craft elite - R2000
  3. 3. Your favourite value for money bib

• Pearl Izumi quest - R700
    • Pearl Izumi attack - R1000
    • Pearl Izumi elite - R1350
    • Pearl Izumi pro - R1700

Are the Gore's good? I've seen them online and always wondered as the look well made and good cut.

Also had nice Mavics before. CRC are running a few specials on them as well at the moment.

Don't you pay like 45% duty on cycling clothes?

I think Gore is very good. They have a range, the top end are similar to the Assos top end.

But the cost of importing (postage, vat, duties) mean that its seldom worth doing, unless there is a really good sale.

I bought mine in the UK

Edited by Blackadder

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also looked at importing but with the weak rand everything is cheaper bought locally.

Not that I want to get in to the whole duty / customs debate but I just get friends / family to send them over or buy them for Chrimbo / birthday pressies etc and I've never paid any duty. Only direct CRC orders I've ended up paying a decent amount.

Strangely tho the orders I've had from other online shops (Rose, merlin, evan + other aussie one) I've never been charged anything other than handling fees really. I'm happy to pay what the ask at the counter. Just never know what that is going to be!

Not that I want to get in to the whole duty / customs debate but I just get friends / family to send them over or buy them for Chrimbo / birthday pressies etc and I've never paid any duty. Only direct CRC orders I've ended up paying a decent amount.

Strangely tho the orders I've had from other online shops (Rose, merlin, evan + other aussie one) I've never been charged anything other than handling fees really. I'm happy to pay what the ask at the counter. Just never know what that is going to be!

The bibs on CRC are very well priced. More often than not you don't pay the duties if they don't spot check your parcel. Its just such a big gamble because an extremely good bargain could end up more expensive if they do slam you with the duties.

a Year ago I bought a lot of Giro socks for a great price on CRC. The only time I ever had to pay duties was on the socks and needless to say it did not end up being a bargain anymore

Think you could add Medac Bibs as well. Bought mine about two years ago for 570 or so and they are still going strong. Thick, durable material, high quality and comfy chamois. Good quality for the price

a Year ago I bought a lot of Giro socks for a great price on CRC. The only time I ever had to pay duties was on the socks and needless to say it did not end up being a bargain anymore

Ouch, I don't mind paying duties on something that is trick and cool but I'd be dirty if I shelled out a lot of extra coin on socks!

Specialized RS13...

How do you guys rate it?

I have those and the Assos Mille.

Prefer the Assos.

The RS13's are too low in the front. also they have too much silicone in the leg band which irritates me a bit on long rides. Especially if you are a hardcore MTB that Does NOT shave his legs...

I have those and the Assos Mille.

Prefer the Assos.

The RS13's are too low in the front. also they have too much silicone in the leg band which irritates me a bit on long rides. Especially if you are a hardcore MTB that Does NOT shave his legs...

Checked out the specialized bibs last week. Don't know if it was the RS13's ut think they retailed for R1200 or something. Did not like the 2 available colours

Has anyone checked out the new Adidas cycling range? I was looking at the bibs earlier and the AdiStar (which is the top of the range) was R3000! They were nice, but not R3000 nice... I think you could nicer shorts like Assos or Nalini or Santini etc. for half the price.

Rant over

Has anyone checked out the new Adidas cycling range? I was looking at the bibs earlier and the AdiStar (which is the top of the range) was R3000! They were nice, but not R3000 nice... I think you could nicer shorts like Assos or Nalini or Santini etc. for half the price.

Rant over

Didn't adidas take their stuff and ran out of the cycling scene when the doping bomb exploded that year on T mobile? I guess they crawled back because doping is not a issue anymore :whistling:

Edited by Jaco-fiets

I've had quite a few different bib brands through the years, Anatomic, Giordana, Craft Performance, Pearl Izumi, Assos Uno, Assos Mille and some others. In my opinion, like other comments on this thread, the quality of bib is directly related to price. I'm into road and MTB, although when on the dirt I cover the bibs with a way out pair of shorts! :)

Best chamois on the market: Pearl Izumi

Best fitting bib shorts: Craft

Best all round bib: Assos

Didn't adidas take their stuff and ran out of the cycling scene when the doping bomb exploded that year on T mobile? I guess they crawled back because doping is not a issue anymore :whistling:

Yeah I thought so too... It was a real shame for me, because I am a HUGE Adidas fanboy. (let the flaming commence). I have a pair of old Adidas MTB shoes, which are my prized possession. I found a pair of road shoes as well the other day. They were too small for me sadly :( I gave them to a friend of mine... I wish they fit me... Damn.

Anyway, i can't seem to find the stuff online anywhere. It's not on the Adidas SA website. I'm also struggling to find the exact clothes I saw in the shop. Like they never existed.. But I **** you not, I was looking at them in the Adidas sport shop in Canal Walk this morning. I think they're the ones on the cover of this month's Bicycling.

Anyway, as a bit of Adidas trivia, it seems they made a shoe!

http://www.theradsport.com/specialized-and-adidas-collaborate-on-cycling-shoe/

Would've loved a pair of those...

Rant over

Yeah R3,000 is seriously taking the p!ss

I was looking at 'investing' in my first pair of assos uno's, but unfortunatley no size large available in Jhb according to the local bike shops... Even distributor doesn't have stock they say... The brand Northwave was suggested, specifically the Treasure Carbon and Treasure Gel... Anyone out there have any info on this brand, as I haven't read any comments about them?