Help with finding a new mtb under R 6000

ShawnJ

Im new to the mtb scene. I did do road riding about 10 years ago. Looking at starting mountain biking for fitness as I ride and race offroad bikes.

I have looked around at a couple shops and also read quite a few posts here. I have decided i want a new bike, 29er with hydraulic brakes.

Only bikes I have found is a Mongoose Metore Sport 2013 for R5800 which I really like. Also found Titan Sport and Silverback Vida but when I contacted the shop they didnt have my size.

Apparantly I need a Medium 29er.

Im on the East Rand so only dealers around Jhb will do.

Can anyone help me with a shop that has what i want.

Hey Rookie, I am also pretty new to the sport, found a great deal at www.bicycle-trader.com

They are in Fourways which is a bit of a schlep from the East, but may be worth a try? Their website is not all that great but in-store they do have a great variety.

Have you been to Finish Line cycles, Glen Marais. Speak to Clint or Ian.

I havent, do they have a website ?

Not sure which Jhb shops will sell, but I see that some Axis bikes are being discounted to R4 799. They have Alivio parts and hydraulic discs. These are probably the best value for money spec wise.

Also check out Solomons (in Lynwood and Woodmead). They have some really good deals on Fuji bikes.

Don't get the Mongoose you're looking at. I know it's quite pretty but it's got crappy wheels/tyres etc.

Look at the Silverback Vida, maybe a Titan, or a Momsen AL129

CWC are having some great deals on GT 26" Mountain Bikes, I would go with this then a big heavy 29er.

Have a look here, http://www.cwcycles....1=1#quicktabs-1

Looking around Jhb area .

What is the weight difference in general between 26 and 29er bikes, in the price range im looking at ?

Don't get the Mongoose you're looking at. I know it's quite pretty but it's got crappy wheels/tyres etc.

Look at the Silverback Vida, maybe a Titan, or a Momsen AL129

Cant seem to find Vida or Titan in my price range with hydraulic brakes, Would have liked the Titan Sport 29er

What is the weight difference in general between 26 and 29er bikes, in the price range im looking at ?

Another 26 v 29 argument about to start. Weight is relevant to components, wheels, fork etc. The more you pay the less will weigh

look at this site for comparisons and reviews, you can search by cost or by make http://www.bicycling.co.za/?buyers-guide-year=0&gearcategory=3497&brand=0&s=Search+by+model+name&post_type=buyersguide&submit=Search&min_price=0&max_price=6338

Edited by shaper

Possibly anything between 2-3kg, CWC can ship bikes for very little anywhere around the country for very little, the components you get with that GT are going to be miles better then any R6k 29er. If it was me I would buy the 26" bike with even a doubt, but thats just me.

I know you want new but how about looking for a good second hand? There are some great deals about with alot of decent 9ers and 6ers going for great prices.

eg:

http://www.gumtree.co.za/cp-sports-bicycles-fitness-in-eastern-pretoria/momsen-al329-for-sale-495200963

Medium Momsen 329, 300kms old for around R7K. Go see it with R6K in your pocket, offer it and there and then and see what he says. I would take that over most new rides for that price.

I know you want new but how about looking for a good second hand? There are some great deals about with alot of decent 9ers and 6ers going for great prices.

eg:

http://www.gumtree.c...-sale-495200963

Medium Momsen 329, 300kms old for around R7K. Go see it with R6K in your pocket, offer it and there and then and see what he says. I would take that over most new rides for that price.

Good advise, I would also say the same. :thumbup: If are OK with not having a guarantee then this is the way to go. if you don't want a 26" bike with awesome components and a good proven frame.

Possibly anything between 2-3kg, CWC can ship bikes for very little anywhere around the country for very little, the components you get with that GT are going to be miles better then any R6k 29er. If it was me I would buy the 26" bike with even a doubt, but thats just me.

Thanks for all the advice.

I looked at some 26" bikes and can get a Silverback Spectra 3 for under R6000 with decent front forks "Rock Shox" , im going to look at that on Saturday.

I have looked at second hand but would prefer a warranty with the bike.

For what it is worth, I would only buy a 2nd hand bike from a very reputable source, for example your LBS... there are some very good deals out there on both 6ers and 9ers - one just has to invest the time in doing the homework. Do you have a preference between a 6er or a 9er, I think for the 6k mark, it is going to be neither here nor there.... as mentioned, the more you pay, the less it will weigh ;-)