Motivation to change eating habits

My motivation began when I did a medical for life cover. I was turned down. That means the actuaries calculated my risk of dying was so high they would not make money on me. Gave me a huge wakeup

Lost 20kg and kept it off. Normalized my BP. Got an exercise program going. Stopped drinking. Got more sleep

As for motivation there is the carrot and the stick. The stick is your lifestyle is killing you. Not it is going to kill you. It is killing you. Sorry to be blunt but that's the reality. The carrot is waking up and feeling bloody marvelous. You don't know how good that is until it happens.

Jees dude, then you must have been quite a bit larger than in your Europe pic you posted a while back!

Congrats on keeping it off... Could not tell that you used to be a chubby monkey...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for me, I've just made a conscious decision to start eating LESS. Sometimes I literally have to stop myself and say "do I really need this much" and maybe put some back or whatever.

THen I'm FINALLY free on this damn bug! I was down 5kg (to 101kg) 3 months ago, but then creche-itis hit and hit hard. THe first time I got on my bike since the Argus, pretty much, was last saturday. I cannot tell you how *** it felt on the hills!

As for food - I love it. I looooove food. But small portions where I would normally eat larger portions is how I'm controlling it.

For breakfast - 2 eggs & mayo on a slice of rye. Tastes delicious with just a bit of salt and pepper. I tried the LCHF thing, but my wife isn't convinced and it became too much of a mission to make 2 different dinners.

Lunch - make salads with some smoked chicken & mayo. Again, seasoning is key.

Overall though, that old adage about moderation is what one should remember. It really is true.

Changing your eating habits has very little to do with motivation. It's a decision you make and have to agree to. If you need motivation to even start eating healthy then you are set up to fail.

Make the choice that you want to live a healthy lifestyle and then you just do it. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy desserts though. Eating nothing is also not an option.

If you really want to lose weight start eating healthier and get a second sport, something like jogging (the pro's call it running). It takes much less time than cycling and is much better for losing fat.

Rapid weight loss tends to be short-term & can be unhealthy.

I found that looking for all the sugar in my diet and cutting it down reduced food cravings and gave me more energy - and i lost some kgs.

I love food, and I love eating ... way to much.

Aha a fellow connoisseur who eats because it tastes nice and not because I need to eat....

I feel your pain

I find weighing myself every single day helps, as soon as I see the scale reading start to increase more than 1 kg over a 2 or 3 days then I modify the eating / exercise regime to bring it back down to my goal weight.

Maybe try cut out the "high impact" foods, stuff like;

- High sugar content foods

'- processed stuff

- fizzy drinks

Replace these with foods that are processed less, have less sugar. Eat lots of fruit, veg and lean proteins.

Another key is to try and reduce portion sizes (slightly) little by little. (NB - portion sizes, even too much healthy food can make you fat!)

Ride longer, the more efficient your body becomes at using energy, the less the volume of food you will crave.

Don't make dramatic changes or try fad diets, they don't work. It's about making small changes that are sustainable and that won't "tax" you mentally into a sacrifice mindset.

Reducing sugar intake will also dramatically improve your energy levels. Which will motivate you further.

Allow one day a week for eating all the forbidden stuff, that way you have a reward. Do this on a weekend day after a long ride, your body is less likely to store this as fat.

Edited by rattlesnake

Diet has to be part of your lifestyle. It is not something that you do for say 3 or 6 months - and then get back to eating ‘normal’ again. That is why you YO-YO.

Very good pointers in the LCHF thread. It is a lifestyle change that can be sustainable. Maybe not in the 50gram Carbs per day, but definitely in the 50g to 150g Carbs per day. The health benefits (even with the slightly higher Carb intake) of this way of eating seems remarkable.

My problem is not that I don't know what I should be eating, as I mentioned I've followed many diets and have been to see dieticians. I understand that moderation is required and what healthy choices are. My problem is that I can't bring myself to do it ... again. I look at a pasta with a creamy sauce and go yuuuummm ... and I just want to eat it ... all .. because it tastes so damn good. Same with a pizza. Even if I'm full I just have to keep eating it. My brain is telling me to stop because I don't need to eat it, but I carry on because it tastes so good. I like good tasting food.

The weight I lose usually takes a couple of years to come back, but it does come back. I like to tell myself it's because I've always been overweight, even as a kid .. but that is just an excuse I suppose. To give you an idea I weighed 65kg's when I was 13, 100kg's when I was 16.

I need to get my head into the right space and make the change permanent ... So thanks for the advice and pointers, and the flames ... it's the food for thought that my brain requires :thumbup:

I suck at this myself.

Was out cycling the other day and cycled past a RoadHouse. Pulled in and ordered a large Milkshake…

As for me, I've just made a conscious decision to start eating LESS. Sometimes I literally have to stop myself and say "do I really need this much" and maybe put some back or whatever.

THen I'm FINALLY free on this damn bug! I was down 5kg (to 101kg) 3 months ago, but then creche-itis hit and hit hard. THe first time I got on my bike since the Argus, pretty much, was last saturday. I cannot tell you how *** it felt on the hills!

As for food - I love it. I looooove food. But small portions where I would normally eat larger portions is how I'm controlling it.

For breakfast - 2 eggs & mayo on a slice of rye. Tastes delicious with just a bit of salt and pepper. I tried the LCHF thing, but my wife isn't convinced and it became too much of a mission to make 2 different dinners.

Lunch - make salads with some smoked chicken & mayo. Again, seasoning is key.

Overall though, that old adage about moderation is what one should remember. It really is true.

Why Mayo on everything? You may as well eat sticks of butter :eek:

My problem is not that I don't know what I should be eating, as I mentioned I've followed many diets and have been to see dieticians. I understand that moderation is required and what healthy choices are. My problem is that I can't bring myself to do it ... again. I look at a pasta with a creamy sauce and go yuuuummm ... and I just want to eat it ... all .. because it tastes so damn good. Same with a pizza. Even if I'm full I just have to keep eating it. My brain is telling me to stop because I don't need to eat it, but I carry on because it tastes so good. I like good tasting food.

The weight I lose usually takes a couple of years to come back, but it does come back. I like to tell myself it's because I've always been overweight, even as a kid .. but that is just an excuse I suppose. To give you an idea I weighed 65kg's when I was 13, 100kg's when I was 16.

I need to get my head into the right space and make the change permanent ... So thanks for the advice and pointers, and the flames ... it's the food for thought that my brain requires :thumbup:

Gastric Ring?

Using laparoscopy (keyhole surgery) the surgeon places a small silicone ring (a stomach band) around the upper part of the stomach. In doing so the surgeon creates a small pouch, a new stomach, above the rest of the stomach. Food must first pass through a small opening which is just 1,2 cm wide, before it can enter the new small stomach.

On the inside of the stomach band is a small balloon. The surgeon can add to or empty the balloon, via a reservoir (small door) which is generally placed in the stomach muscle. This allows the gastric ring to be tightened or loosened.

Ive heard there are complications thought in some cases

Why Mayo on everything? You may as well eat sticks of butter :eek:

Not on everything, but it's high in fat and not much else. On an lchf diet it's a staple. And the lchf worked for me while I was on it. Just that, logistically, it was a nightmare for me to follow.

It's tough if the family culture doesn't support or complement one's desire to eat healthily.

Specifically with regard to making it a LIFESTYLE

Edited by ' Dale

Not on everything, but it's high in fat and not much else. On an lchf diet it's a staple. And the lchf worked for me while I was on it. Just that, logistically, it was a nightmare for me to follow.

im just pullling your leg :whistling:

Your folks used to say, "You're not leaving the table till you finish your supper"?

A friend has found Overeaters Anonymous (OA) useful.