What is the Advantages of having a Single Speed Crankset?

gpcar

Only posers are those that ride with a single ring in front and a single cog at the back .... those SS riders are true posers!

True, anyone not on a 26 " bike and 3x9 is a poser.

Because Kulhavy had one at the epic......

Best answer so far. Most of us choose equipment based on things pro's use.

It is still possible to ride fast with 2 or even 3 blades in front.

When they apart its just more fun...

No real benefit, unless you a weight weenie.

Probably not but I would like a more comfortable pedal stroke. Also when moving from road to MTB it feels super strange and I much prefer the feel on the road bike with my feet closer together.

When I'm comfortable I can go faster for longer I hope :-)

http://www.spadout.com/a/q-factor-the-space-between-our-feet/

‘Q’ and Performance

Beyond the implications to the human body, q-factor can affect the power, efficiency and bike handling of any cyclist. First, a rider generates power through a combination of cadence (crank revolutions per minute) and gearing. Power output has the highest potential when our hips, knees and ankles are aligned. Alternatively, power decreases when the q-factor is too narrow or too wide. Next, the best example of q-factor effecting cycling efficiency is when riding ‘en danceuse’ (standing on the pedals). A wide q-factor requires more energy to pump the handlebars back and forth. Most cyclists fare better when they can dance up an alpine pass rather than muscle their way through. Finally, bike handling is a serious consideration in terms of q-factor. Pedal to ground clearance while cornering is decreased with higher q-factors. The last thing any cyclist wants is to make contact with the ground with anything other than their tires.

I don't ride at more than 40kph on dirt roads for extended periods of time - I don't view that as mountain biking. Jeep track is there to get to the top of the trail or inbetween singletracks.

That, my friend, is how it should be.

It's flabbergasting seeing all these full suspension "marathon" rigs doing jeep track duty only. 95% of the muppets riding them could do with properly set up hardtails.

Edited by MH for short