New AM bike advice

KENDA

I fell in love when I rode my stumpjumper for the first time, provided its an old frame and a bit shy on travel with only 120mm, she gets thrown down some mild DH tracks and I treat her as an AM bike! If you can get your hands on a 26" stumpy (newer than mine with more travel) I would say go for it. I can only imagine how much more awesome a 26" enduro would be tho!

Edited by Nofearnofun

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys

Been riding for a couple of years now, I have predominantly been doing XC marathon racing and general fun rides with friends.

Gravity riding videos is what actually pulled me to the sport, but with the Mtb mentality of South Africans (dirt roadies) my mind has wandered far from what I thought I was buying into in 2008...

What are your opinions on all mountain 29ers ?

Looking forward to your advice !

See what I did there;)

I'd go Intense!! best bikes

I bought an Intense 5.5. Awesome bike.

Very limited in SA but try get an Intense or Diald Bikes do a Morewood Sukuma for about 16k for the frame.

Also heard good things about the Giant Reign but never managed to ride it...

You could also buy a hardtail steel frame like the Cotic bFe for around 4500 for the frame and chuck a 160mm fork on there. Will be able to blast down any trail and ride up trails as well.

In my opinion I still dig 26ers and will stick with them.

better off looking for a second hand 150/160 mm full sus frame/ bike and building it up.

Then you can set it up to your style.

I am NO pro and I of course dont know your riding style either...but I am now riding a 650b.....and all I can say is if you are really looking for that complete "nippy" feeling, dont go bigger than 26".

Even with the 650b I feel a complete difference in that aspect, otherwise I think it is an awesome all-rounder!

I am on an Intense, seriously an awesome bike and super sexy....dont know your price limit though and they are not readily available in SA.

I have a Raleigh Utah

post-10758-0-28494600-1373867795_thumb.jpg

...but I wouldn't use it for anything other than a decoy bike to keep theives away from the other bikes in the garage :ph34r: hahaha!

If you're looking for a complete, value for money, brand new, AM bike, available from SA retailers, then I would suggest the following:

• Commencal Meta AM 3 (or the Meta 2 if you want to spend a little more)
  • Reigns are good value for money
  • Scott Ransom. There are one or 2 old stock ransoms floating around at certain Caj##$ branches. Not the latest spec, but well specced and marked at around 22k. I bet one could haggle them down to 18-ish with some smooth talking.
  • The Spesh Enduro as mentioned. I personally would avoid the older models that use the Spesh dual crown fork (or change the fork). The stem is heinously long, and I don't know if shorter versions were ever made. The front hub is also 25mm through axle so spares, bike rack adapters etc won't be easily available... and personally I think dual crown forks only belong on DH bikes :ph34r: hahaha
  • Omnico should also have some options. Look on www.obike.co.za to see their old stock items. Some bargains available there! I picked up my 1st AM bike (Cannondale Moto 1, and yes, frame for sale as Hairy mentioned) for 1/3 of retail.

If you're willing to build up a bike then the possibilities are endless. buying a frame from an overseas online store is simply done and will probably arrive long before the local suppliers could get one.

And finally... the best value for money option is to find a 2nd hand bargain. There are some really nice bikes going for insane prices. Like this for instance. If this thing is still available then the hub is full of tards.

I checked out the obike option for the laddie yesterday, and would have posted had there been any stock. Sadly, none in the AM segment. They have a Force Carbon, Teocali, Khyber Elite and a couple of others listed, but no stock.

I have been riding the Stumpjumper comp with a command post on and I am in love with that bike. I've been riding Vasbyt quite often lately and the bike just feels better and better. It really handles most things thrown at it. I think Anneke Beerten rode some DH events on her Stumpy evo.

It climbs well enough for me not to notice and on the downhills it just eats it all. I love the bike.

No doubt the pyga 140 650 will be a beaut but not cheap. You are looking at 10k + over a Reign for the same or more basic build. That said you wont get a new 2013 Reign anywhere. I had to wait 4 months for mine to be made and shipped here... next years Giants will be 650 b and possibly less than 150 mm travel and probably more expesnive than 2013's. August is the release date I believe.

I fell in love when I rode my stumpjumper for the first time, provided its an old frame and a bit shy on travel with only 120mm, she gets thrown down some mild DH tracks and I treat her as an AM bike! If you can get your hands on a 26" stumpy (newer than mine with more travel) I would say go for it. I can only imagine how much more awesome a 26" enduro would be tho!

That 120mm travel Stumpy is a great ride no matter that it "only has 120mm travel"

Patches' link to THIS is one that should be followed. AWESOME bike. I've seen it (been into the BS in question a few times) and it's an awesome bike.

That is a fantastic price for that bike! I've already spent much more than that to build up my Intense 5.5

I checked out the obike option for the laddie yesterday, and would have posted had there been any stock. Sadly, none in the AM segment. They have a Force Carbon, Teocali, Khyber Elite and a couple of others listed, but no stock.

I went browsing the other day and was disappointed to see they don't have much at the moment. I did however go back a few times to relook at the Pinn'r even tho its not an AM bike but DAYMN it looks sweet! Haha