Brake fade - Avid juicy 3.5?

kevin Walter

@K-Man 5000...Don't throw good money after bad....Get a new set of Hope, Shimano or Formula.

Life is too short to maintain avid brakes...my 2c

And if you really want to get it right... Avid Trail... now cluttering my desk...

And if you really want to get it right... Avid Trail... now cluttering my desk...

I dont have the patience...Once bitten twice shy :ph34r:

Like they say in the classics, you only own one alfa.... :whistling:

I dont have the patience...Once bitten twice shy :ph34r:

Like they say in the classics, you only own one alfa.... :whistling:

Nope - once you have driven one you will love them ALL ... my first performance car... Alfa GTV 3.0... wish I had never sold it.

I will offer an opinion on the Trails once they are installed and tested - going to take a while yet...but they look good and the reviews are great.

My X9's are still going great - both pairs.. :)

I don't care what you guys say. My Avids work, and I'll keep them, thank you.

Go for it bud.... :thumbup:

They faded at the top of mountain at van gaalens this weekend, there i learnt the dangers of only having front brakes lol!

I think I'll take my bike to the shop for new seals and pipes, I did blead em and it didnt help, fixing this one is too much for me...

If its expensive I'll get a new system...

Brake fade is something very specific and generally can't be cured by bleeding. I say generally, because there is one instance and I'll mention it later.

The term brake fade is descriptive - as you apply brakes, they start to require more and more brake force to provide the same stopping as before. The extreme end of brake fade is sudden zero brakes. Brake fade happens on rear brakes before front brakes because rear brakes don't stop you and people scared of their front brakes then drag the brake over long distances in an effort to control the descent. The cure for this is to learn how to use your front brakes properly.

Nevertheless, we're taking brake fade. There are three types.

1) Fluid fade, This is when the brake fluid boils with the result that the liquid column in the system becomes gaseous and spongy. It usually feels like complete absence of brakes. Not nice. The way to prevent this is to not drag your brakes so much (use the front brake more), loose lots of weight or make sure you have fresh brake fluid in there. Old fluid boils at a lower temperature due to its ready affinity for airborne moisture.

2) Green fade. This happens when new resin pads (and some metal pads) are used without bedding in properly. The resin has to cure and the final stage of the cure happens through heat. If you heat them up too much before they're properly cured, they give of gas which makes the brakes fade. This you provide when braking under controlled applications right after fitting new pads. Your mechanic should be able to tell you how to bed in your new pads.

3) Pad fade. This happens when (even properly bedded in) pads are used outside of their operating spec i.e. becomes too hot. Loose weight and learn how to use the front brake.

Then, I'd like to add another type of fade to the list and this is a situation where the pads and discs have become glazed over from improper or just lots of use. Here the pad and disc requires roughening up. It has been discussed and described here. This is not strictly brake fade but just general deterioration. Most people don't even notice it until you fix the problem and then notice the decreased stopping distance and ease of lever application.

Decide which shoe fits your scenario.

Brake fade is something very specific and generally can't be cured by bleeding. I say generally, because there is one instance and I'll mention i

is not strictly brake fade but just general deterioration. Most people don't even notice it until you fix the problem and then notice the decreased stopping distance and ease of lever application.

Decide which shoe fits your scenario.

after reading all your information (thanks a lot btw!!!) I think i underestimated the importance of keeping the brake fluid dry when I bled the system... I reckon thats what it is so I'm going to take it in for a full service an just get all the seals repaced too so that they should be good for a long time hopefully.

I'd love to just upgrade but I'm planning on buiding up 29er in dec so I'll rather wait it out a little...

Thanks for all the advice everyone!