Bariatric surgery for weight loss

Guest Heino

Guest Heino

Hi guys.

I need some advice please? Do you know of anyone who has had the above procedure done? I pasted the definition from Wikipedia at the bottom here for reference. It is basically the operation by which they make the stomach smaller to lose weight.

Bariatric surgery (weight loss surgery) includes a variety of procedures performed on people who are obese. Weight loss is achieved by reducing the size of the stomach with a gastric band or through removal of a portion of the stomach (sleeve gastrectomy or biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch) or by resecting and re-routing the small intestines to a small stomach pouch (gastric bypass surgery).

Long-term studies show the procedures cause significant long-term loss of weight, recovery from diabetes, improvement in cardiovascular risk factors, and a reduction in mortality of 23% from 40%.[1] However, a study in Veterans Affairs (VA) patients has found no survival benefit associated with bariatric surgery among older, severely obese people when compared with usual care, at least out to seven years.[2]

The U.S. National Institutes of Health recommends bariatric surgery for obese people with a body mass index (BMI) of at least 40, and for people with BMI 35 and serious coexisting medical conditions such as diabetes.[1] However, research is emerging that suggests bariatric surgery could be appropriate for those with a BMI of 35 to 40 with no comorbidities or a BMI of 30 to 35 with significant comorbidities.The most recent ASMBS guidelines suggest the position statement on consensus for BMI as indication for Bariatric SUrgery. The recent guidelines suggest that any patient with a BMI of more than 30 with co morbidities is a candidate for Bariatric surgery.[3]

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not personally, no. Just beware that most med aids will not cover it at all.

Also - the med aids that do cover it (momentum & Discovery, if memory serves) will only cover at 70% of the "medical aid rate" and you will have to pay the rest of the accounts yourself. Gap cover does not cover it either.

In addition, you will have to prove that you have undergone significant attempts at losing weight by normal means.

That means documented consultation with a nutritionist for a minimum of 2 years, with proven track record of sticking to the regimen and gym workouts / exercise etc.

You also have to motivate the reason for the surgery, and it cannot just be because your BMI is over a certain value - it has to be really high in order for it to be a consideration for med aid.

Just do your investigations before you jump into it... If it is you who's doing it, that is...

My wife had a gastric bypass a few years ago (before we met). She went from about 140kg to 80kg on our wedding day. What would you like to know?

Not personally, no. Just beware that most med aids will not cover it at all.

Also - the med aids that do cover it (momentum & Discovery, if memory serves) will only cover at 70% of the "medical aid rate" and you will have to pay the rest of the accounts yourself. Gap cover does not cover it either.

In addition, you will have to prove that you have undergone significant attempts at losing weight by normal means.

That means documented consultation with a nutritionist for a minimum of 2 years, with proven track record of sticking to the regimen and gym workouts / exercise etc.

You also have to motivate the reason for the surgery, and it cannot just be because your BMI is over a certain value - it has to be really high in order for it to be a consideration for med aid.

Just do your investigations before you jump into it... If it is you who's doing it, that is...

Guest Heino

My wife had a gastric bypass a few years ago (before we met). She went from about 140kg to 80kg on our wedding day. What would you like to know?

Wow!

Everything!

I am 1.78 cm and weigh around 140kg, at one stage I was 159kg, BMI is 42 I think, cant recall. (There was also a stage where I was 120kg earlier in the year) What did it cost? No complications?

I have been for acupuncture, Hypnosis, Slender wonder, Name it, Psychologists etc etc.... I have compulsive eating disorder.

The doctor one day said to me that he doesn't believe that I train two hours minimum per day, and I proved it to him, but the volumes of food is just too much that I consume! (To all the doctor Phil's on this forum, I don't need a speech, thanks.) Yet another attempt to change my ways after the post the other day about another hubber that struggle with his weight. I need to do something!!

As much as possible advice would be greatly appreciated!

This should only be a last resort for weight loss. Problems can arise from procedure but I've heard that most people see amazing results and in short time.

Seek medical advice before anything this drastic.

Good luck man!

Guest Heino

This should only be a last resort for weight loss. Problems can arise from procedure but I've heard that most people see amazing results and in short time.

Seek medical advice before anything this drastic.

Good luck man!

Thanks. This is the last resort and was recommended by my GP. After Psychological testing he said that this is the only way. So it is for me to decide now...

Wow!

Everything!

I am 1.78 cm and weigh around 140kg, at one stage I was 159kg, BMI is 42 I think, cant recall. (There was also a stage where I was 120kg earlier in the year) What did it cost? No complications?

I have been for acupuncture, Hypnosis, Slender wonder, Name it, Psychologists etc etc.... I have compulsive eating disorder.

The doctor one day said to me that he doesn't believe that I train two hours minimum per day, and I proved it to him, but the volumes of food is just too much that I consume! (To all the doctor Phil's on this forum, I don't need a speech, thanks.) Yet another attempt to change my ways after the post the other day about another hubber that struggle with his weight. I need to do something!!

As much as possible advice would be greatly appreciated!

You might try a Low/No Carb Diet for a while. It works wonders.

Cut out the carbohydrates (all sugars and most starches like bread, cakes, pasta, etc. )

Edited by Topwine

I would really see surgery as the very last resort. There must be a way to medically determine what the problem is, instead of just fixing a symptom

A mate of mine went for the surgery after all the diets and the evaluations etc. I almost didn't recognise him. I think he went from around 140kg to 80kg.

Did him the world of good.

Based on his change... go for it.

If a GP RECOMENDS it then clearly all avenues have been covered, GOOD LUCK KEEP US UPDATED, ALL I KNOW ABOUT THE PROCEDURE IS, (BIG SURPRISE)IT'S LIFE CHANGING AND EVERY ASPECT OF YOUR LIFE CHANGES FOREVERE

I went from a high of 152kg to my now stable weight around 105kg (planning to lose some more ;) )

One thing that really helped me was to fast for a day or 2 (just liquids, no solids)...felt like my stomach was smaller..

Struggled to "binge eat" few weeks after fast....when my binge eating started again I repeated above.

Fasting not for losing weight as per say but to get your mindset right "I can survive with much less food"

Well that's my 2cents....

Surely if you have an eating disorder, making your stomach wont change the disorder, it needs to be dealt with as priority number one. Good Luck

Edited by udxcob

A mate of mine went for the surgery after all the diets and the evaluations etc. I almost didn't recognise him. I think he went from around 140kg to 80kg.

Did him the world of good.

Based on his change... go for it.

The long term success rates of bariac surgery is not that good. A lot of the patients gain a lot of the weight back.

My father-in-law had it done a long time ago. This caused major secondary issues, which caused them to have to undo the surgery. He turned around at the gates of heaven. Spent 4 month in ICU due to the whole thing, so from that experience I would say stay away!