Stage Races: When, Where and How Much

Dubber

I'm with you on this one, I prefer going to Europe in winter...to ski. I'm not blessed with mad skillz and long travel so I'll pack my fat skis rather.

J2C was absolutely awesome and I'll do it again without any hesitation.

R16500 is a lot of bucks to do it Solo...

I prefer my own tent as I dont fancy breathing air from my teammates arse during the night

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you on this one, I prefer going to Europe in winter...to ski. I'm not blessed with mad skillz and long travel so I'll pack my fat skis rather.

J2C was absolutely awesome and I'll do it again without any hesitation.

Without a doubt oom, it was a very cool 9 days in my life, watching the highlights last night really brought back those memories. Also the good times thehub crew at j2c was lekker, we all became better tjommies...dips, graham, me, you, sean, eldron, jakalas...great times, worth every cent I paid

Seriaas as cancer...rythm is a dancer.

Did joberg2c this year, was awesome, I put value on the fact that I can ride across the country with someone doing all the admin and logistics behind the scenes(feeding me, clothing me, transporting my GHD and sleeping bag and setting up camp at a comfortable spot each day making sure I can have a ****, shave and shampoo). Chill zones with free beer and wifi was a nice touch, bike bays to wash and scrub the bikes the list goes on and on but I suspect you will just snigger at these not knowing how important they are when you are on your own in a remote spot

PS which ones have you done that have made you realize they are bad value?

Rouxtjie I do think if you compare cent for cent what you can get on an overseas trip to a stage race here then getting the stamp on your passport is cheaper. ... but for me or is never about the money. I want to do as many different things I can.

I think the vibe between the hundreds of people that ride the same trail than you did the day and sharing a dinner table with them is part the bit that money has nothing to do with.

R16500 is a lot of bucks to do it Solo...

I prefer my own tent as I dont fancy breathing air from my teammates arse during the night

unless your partner is the reason you want to share a tent...... :)

Let's just agree to disagree.

Absolutely cool.

Personally I think that your trip to Morzine is seriously cool and an absolute bargain at the price. But it isn't a stage race and one shouldn't compare oranges and apples. If I had spare cash and bigger balls lying around, I would've done a Morzine pilgrimage at the drop of a hat. Perhaps I will.

Absolutely cool.

Personally I think that your trip to Morzine is seriously cool and an absolute bargain at the price. But it isn't a stage race and one shouldn't compare oranges and apples. If I had spare cash and bigger balls lying around, I would've done a Morzine pilgrimage at the drop of a hat. Perhaps I will.

Yea I am sure the guys going to france have an absolute gas when they are there, but they are very different, comparing them is a stupid exercise. Saying stage races are a waste of money ito value is just an opinion, not fact

Guest Omega Man

Absolutely cool.

Ja no for sure. And I get Rouxtjie's points about perceived value and shared experiences etc etc. He should have just mentioned free beer and he would have had me. Haha. I meant no disrespect

For me I just can't reconcile the cost of doing these events. And that's me personally. It's not a comment on the quality of the event or the people that do them. Just the cost. I also can't reconcile the cost of driving an X5. I don't think they are ****. Just not for me.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Yea I am sure the guys going to france have an absolute gas when they are there, but they are very different, comparing them is a stupid exercise. Saying stage races are a waste of money ito value is just an opinion, not fact

100%. No offence was inferred or intended. I was merely commenting on the cost. And I can only use my point of reference as a measure.

Ja no for sure. And I get Rouxtjie's points about perceived value and shared experiences etc etc. He should have just mentioned free beer and he would have had me. Haha. I meant no disrespect

For me I just can't reconcile the cost of doing these events. It's not a comment on the quality of the event or the people that do them. Just the cost.

Yea...each have their own space, pros and cons...

@beans, if you have the moola, I say do both, both will give memories and in the end, that is what you pay for.

100%. No offence was inferred or intended. I was merely commenting on the cost. And I can only use my point of reference as a measure.

Same here man. Reckon france is good humor and insane riding. :thumbup:

Guest Omega Man

Same here man. Reckon france is good humor and insane riding. :thumbup:

Yeah. And I'd love to do the J2C.

I may be wrong but I see the France trip as a holiday, whilst the stage races are a mixture of testing your body's ability to operate at a high work load on repetitive days. Mix this with scenery you cannot see any other way. As well as the camaraderie of people who are experiencing it with you

I think the vibe between the hundreds of people that ride the same trail than you did the day and sharing a dinner table with them is part the bit that money has nothing to do with.

And you do make a great race dinner companion..... I will vouch for that... :)

Chaps - she a) drinks beer.... and b ) brings beer and ice cream to the table...

What a winner.... :clap: :clap:

Edited by V12man

I may be wrong but I see the France trip as a holiday, whilst the stage races are a mixture of testing your body's ability to operate at a high work load on repetitive days. Mix this with scenery you cannot see any other way. As well as the camaraderie of people who are experiencing it with you

I think they are both taxing to be honest, the one tests your endurance and the other your technical ability body's ability to take knocks of various kinds. Both of them will have a sense of camaraderie, surely omega man won't go there by his lonesome, you need to share it with a group of people, which is what they do

And you do make a great race dinner companion..... I will vouch for that... :)

Chaps - she a) drinks beer.... and b ) brings beer and ice cream to the table...

What a winner.... :clap: :clap:

Now if heyls will wash the bikes, fix mechanicals and carry bags to tents I reckon she might just be the perfect stage race partner :whistling: