What do I need to go from 9mm QR to 15mm thru axle

Wimmas

Hi peeps

I'm getting a new fork in a while and was wondering if it won't be worth converting to 15mm thru axle up front at the same time.

I currently have 9mm QR infront with the following specs:

ZTR Arch EX 29er wheel

SRAM MTH-406 hub http://www.sram.com/...ts/sram-406-hub

I'm looking at getting the REBA w/15mm thru axle

So I should probably get a new hub for the front. So let's say I get an XT hub just for this discussion's purposes. I see they sell the 15mm hubs without the the 15mm thru axle.

So does this mean I'll need to get the hub, like this http://www.buycycle....product_id=7216 and still buy this http://www.buycycle.co.za/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=4542 and ay for a wheel build?

That will then cost over R1000 which I will consider if it's worth it?

Edited by Wimmas

I just done the same , the axle will come with the fork .

You just order the end caps for you front hub from you LBS .

They just clip in so you can easily do it yourself .

if you buy the xt hub you have pictured thats pretty much all you need. the axle will come with the fork..

Call Graham 011 867 8047 (cycle hub), he will be able to help you .

Also not too far from Meyerton

Ah okay so it comes with the fork, that's good news. So I can just buy the hub. Will hear from my LBS if the SRAM hub can convert or not, then I just need to get the adapters?

IF I need to buy a different hub, will I also need to get new spokes or would my current spokes fit the new hub?

Probably yes new spokes will be needed. Not all hubs have the same size circumference where the spokes attach.

Why do you need to get adapters?

Fork - axle - hub - that's it.

Some hubs like American Classic and Stans ZTR hubs can only be converted via their adapters.

The question is why? The supposed increase in stiffness is not worth the expense of a new Hub (unless it's buggered) or the expense of new spokes and having your wheel re built imho. If you transport your bike on top of a trailer, you will also then have to change your QR clamp to accomodate your fork won't you? I would rather look out for a great deal on a good quality QR fork(if it's buggered), as no one wants them anymore, like 26ers, I guess.... But then again, if you have a QR fork on a 26er, you might be in the dark ages, according to the experts. In that case you might have to give your bike away for free. Or simply ride whatever you want to...

I just upgraded my shock, from suntour xcr to a Reba, picked up the Reba from my LBS for R2300 (Big bargin), but we could only get it in 15mm thru axle. Because my bike has the shimano mt55 wheels I can't just upgrade the hub ( no 24 hole hubs to be found). So I just ordered a new MT55 wheel from chain reaction who have a few on special this week.

Total cost of the conversion R3500.

To change your hub you may need spokes as well, then a wheel builder (if you can't do it yourself, might be cheaper to just replace the wheel and sell the old one.

Nah then screw it. I'm not going to buy a new wheel or a new hub and spokes and pay for wheel build just to be able to get a 15mm thru axle fork. Then I'll just get a 9mm QR REBA. I don't even weigh 80kg's so the QR will be fine

Nah then screw it. I'm not going to buy a new wheel or a new hub and spokes and pay for wheel build just to be able to get a 15mm thru axle fork. Then I'll just get a 9mm QR REBA. I don't even weigh 80kg's so the QR will be fine

I don't like or buy gimmicks but 15mm through axle is so much better than 9mm Qr, it's better concept , works better, safer, easier to take the wheel cleanly in and out.

And if you getting a brand new fork you might as well take it with the best currently avail technology, get hope hubs while you about it and then never need to upgrade your wheel set...