Dual air or solo air?

mike_b

Haha, no offence taken. I started riding last year but I am on my second bike already. I may be new to the sport but I am not scared of getting into the technical aspect of the equipment. That being said, forks are a hell of a lot more complicated than what I expected...

I appreciate the advice and am 99% sold on the solo. Just one more question, if the dual was a 15mm TA and the RLT was a 9mm QR, would that have a significant effect on your decision?

Not on a Reba, no.

Edit: even though 15mm TA is better than qr, unless you're hauling ass or taking jumps etc then you may not be noticing it. If you were on a trail bike then I'd say for sure you would benefit from a thru axle as the bike would be taking bigger hits and the increased stiffness would be warranted. But if you're on an xc bike then the difference (palpable, Ito what u feel and how it performs) would be less than if you upgraded the wheels.

If you were buying a revelation, I'd say go for a thru axle. But at beginner / weekend warrior (non racing) and no jumping / meg technical stuff, you won't get that much benefit from the increased stiffness

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

PS: my wheelset can take both - I have a 9mm converter in for my current fork.

Ah. Then that does change things. Hmmmm. You can convert the rl to the better rlt.

Hmmmm.

Very difficult decision this. Me, I'd go for the rl then. Yes, I'm changing my mind. But with the dual air you can tune it to be as good as the rlt. Just that darn floodgate that you'll be missing. Which you can retrofit, if you want.

Personally I'd go the dual rl 15mm over the solo 9mm rlt.

But I've already said why I'd do that. Another reason is that I believe lockout has no place on an MTB.

Edit: my comments on the stiffness issue stand. I am just that rider who does (try to) hit the hard stuff and I have noticed a difference in stiffness between my Reba and my revelation (9mm with 10mm solid axle set at 120mm vs revelation 20mm TA set at 120mm on my hardtail)

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Haha, no offence taken. I started riding last year but I am on my second bike already. I may be new to the sport but I am not scared of getting into the technical aspect of the equipment. That being said, forks are a hell of a lot more complicated than what I expected...

I appreciate the advice and am 99% sold on the solo. Just one more question, if the dual was a 15mm TA and the RLT was a 9mm QR, would that have a significant effect on your decision?

Personally If I were running a two legged fork I would opt for a thru axle if the fork and hubs can accommodate.

My reasoning has nothing to do with stiffness because none of these forks are going to be as stiff as a upside down fork with OD of 50mm.

The reason is SAFETY. Thru axle forks offer a much more secure location of the front wheel especially for disc brake equipped bikes. Whether you opt for 15mm T or 20mm MAxle, the TA is just a better and more safe connection.

Personally If I were running a two legged fork I would opt for a thru axle if the fork and hubs can accommodate.

My reasoning has nothing to do with stiffness because none of these forks are going to be as stiff as a upside down fork with OD of 50mm.

The reason is SAFETY. Thru axle forks offer a much more secure location of the front wheel especially for disc brake equipped bikes. Whether you opt for 15mm T or 20mm MAxle, the TA is just a better and more safe connection.

Yeha. I did that little experiment with a loosened QR and a rapid stop, while I was working on my bike. Or as soon as you hit a jump. Bubye wheel...

Also never having to align a caliper again is a biggie...

One less thing to fiddle with.....go with the solo air.....go ride the bike..

90% of the dual air riders are constantly tuning, never quite happy

Update:

I received a brand new 2013 Rockshox Reba RLT solo air in the post on Friday last week. After a bit of research I attempted the installation on Friday night and installed it successfully in about an hour.

I wanted to post some pictures but I get an error message that the forum can't accept the file name extension?

Anyway, took the bike for ride at Northern Farm on Sunday and was well impressed with the difference in performance. I set the sag at about 15% which may be a bit stiff. I'll play with the pressure and rebound settings over time and see what works best. Thank you for all the advice, you guys really helped me out.

Here are some links to the pics - hope these work.

http://www.airrifle.co.za/attachment.php?attachmentid=47910&d=1374879271

http://www.airrifle.co.za/attachment.php?attachmentid=47913&d=1374879271

http://www.airrifle.co.za/attachment.php?attachmentid=47912&d=1374879271

http://www.airrifle.co.za/attachment.php?attachmentid=47911&d=1374879271

http://www.airrifle.co.za/attachment.php?attachmentid=47914&d=1374879271

Regards

Mike

NICE! Well done dude. It was a very close run between the 2, but TBH I think you got the right fork in the end. Easier to set up and better for the application.

Even though I (in the end) would have gone for the Dual, the Solo RLT is the bee's knees.