Are outdoor events becoming new hotspot for vehicle theft?

Gavmeister

Hi guys, we did the Momentum Duathlon at Irene yesterday, had great fun, only to discover that my brother's Toyota DC diesel had been stolen. His was one of three that we were aware of on the day. I also read on the hub that vehicles were stolen at the Nissan Trailseeker Cullinan. Apparently (according to the cops) these specific vehicles are stolen for their engines, as they are used in taxis.

If you drive one, be careful.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They short out the small indicator which for some reason unlocks the doors. Then they pop the bonnet and swap out the ECU/PLD and put in a new one that corresponds to the key they have.

then start and drive off - in style, listening to your tunes.

Sucks

and they do all this (bonnet open) etc with no one noticing a thing,

or this again, coffee on the side to the parking attending to look the other way.

G

They short out the small indicator which for some reason unlocks the doors. Then they pop the bonnet and swap out the ECU/PLD and put in a new one that corresponds to the key they have.

Sucks

Sucks

once you're in the car, its pretty easy to code the computer to a key that fits the barrel

thought the idea of the new electronic key's are to stop just that, getting into car=easy, implying being in key means nothing since the key's are suppose to be the big stopper now.

G

once you're in the car, its pretty easy to code the computer to a key that fits the barrel

thought the idea of the new electronic key's are to stop just that, getting into car=easy, implying being in key means nothing since the key's are suppose to be the big stopper now.

G

I lost both my keys on my 350z. locksmith opened the car (that was the hardest part), took the barrel out and cut a key that fit the barrel of the ignition. Once you can turn the key, theres a certain sequence of turns/button pushes you do, that then tells the ECU to accept that RFID tag in they key

I heard that some riders leave their keys on the wheel or under the bumper which of course makes it much easier.

It is pretty sad how things are going. The only side of this is at least they weren't hi-jacked. If these guys want your motor they are gonna take it. Surely at least one of these guys had a tracker of some sorts in their car or is that pretty much useless these days? It is a sad day when everything we own is just on a "borrowed" term. I hope the insurance companies take these event organisers to task for this. Unless that is also just a waste of time!!

Damn! But parking for the event was off street - as far as I know everyone parked inside the grounds of Cornwall Hill College. How the hell did they the nick cars inside a school with security?

That's a *** way to end a race.

Good old gearlock, when i lost my keys the locksmith had to angle grind it off. Small chance of someone walking around with an angle grinder at these events.

Guest Omega Man

I heard that some riders leave their keys on the wheel or under the bumper which of course makes it much easier.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't do that people. The old surfer trick is well known to car thieves. Your petrol cap is also a dumb place to hide keys.

I had a car stolen cos I was stupid enough to do this. The insurance co asked for the keys back and luckily for me I had spares or they would have asked me to please explain where my key had dissapeared to. If your insurance company gets wind of the fact that the key was "hidden" on the car there's a very good chance that they will repudiate your claim.

Edited by Omega Man

I work in the motor trade , these D4D's including Fortuners are very hi risk vehicles .

Most of them traded with us have had attempts in either theft or hi jacking's

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't do that people. The old surfer trick is well known to car thieves. Your petrol cap is also a dumb place to hide keys.

I had a car stolen cos I was stupid enough to do this. They asked for the keys back and luckily for me I had spares or they would have asked me to please explain where my key had dissapeared to. If your insurance company gets wind of the fact that the key was "hidden" on the car there's a very good chance that they will repudiate your claim.

Your insurance won't pay out if you don't have all the keys to your vehicle on a theft claim. As far as I know anyway.