2013 Vuelta a España

Butterbean

Yeah, I took a look at the course, very mountainous, which should give a pure climber like Scarponi a good shot, plus of course he had very good form at the Giro, so I am now quite hopeful he rides.

Nibali must go into it as favorite but there are some others I guess, providing they ride, Valverde, Rodriguez, Daniel Moreno, Igor Anton are all good possibilities, I think its going to be a somewhat depleted peleton "Big name wise" though - which is also okay, sometimes they just spoil it with tactics anyway, the opportunistic hopeful's sometimes make for great racing.

I think Nibs will dominate.

The peloton will be weakened as many riders targeted the 100th TdF. And that was one helluva 3 weeks where everything was given in terms of effort.

Ivan Basso might have a shot at podium glory here as his pistons are rested. GO BASSO

Edited by ' Dale

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe clears the way for others on Saxon (and BMC and others) to make something of the season, Saxo sure needs it, what with Tinko taking his money elsewhere.

Maybe clears the way for others on Saxon (and BMC and others) to make something of the season, Saxo sure needs it, what with Tinko taking his money elsewhere.

Yes, theres a few who are having terrible seasons, Saxo is just one, but Lampre, BMC, Vacansoleil, Euskaltel, and FDJ are having an awful season. Radioshack is not doing too well trophy wise either.

I think Nibs will dominate.

The peloton will be weakened as many riders targeted the 100th TdF. And that was one helluva 3 weeks where everything was given in terms of effort.

Ivan Basso might have a shot at podium glory here as his pistons are rested. GO BASSO

In reality, like 'Berto unfortunately, I think the chances of Basso winning another grand tour are fairly slim, age and a host of other factors are pretty against him now.

In reality, like 'Berto unfortunately, I think the chances of Basso winning another grand tour are fairly slim, age and a host of other factors are pretty against him now.

With a relatively weakened peloton, fresh legs and hunger to succeed, I'll be very happy clappy if he gets podium.

Basso confirms.

Other top confirmed starters are Chris Horner, who told VeloNews this week he will be racing the Vuelta to win, Alejandro Valverde (Movistar), and Tour podium man Joaquim Rodríguez (Katusha).

Basque climbers Igor Antón and Samuel Sánchez are both confirmed for Euskaltel-Euskadi in what will likely be the team’s final grand tour.

Other top names include Carlos Betancur (Ag2r-La Mondiale), Bauke Mollema (Belkin), Dani Navarro (Cofidis), and Sky’s Colombian duo of Sergio Henao and Rigoberto Urán.post-12015-0-43517600-1375471204_thumb.jpg

Basso confirms.

Other top confirmed starters are Chris Horner, who told VeloNews this week he will be racing the Vuelta to win, Alejandro Valverde (Movistar), and Tour podium man Joaquim Rodríguez (Katusha).

Basque climbers Igor Antón and Samuel Sánchez are both confirmed for Euskaltel-Euskadi in what will likely be the team’s final grand tour.

Other top names include Carlos Betancur (Ag2r-La Mondiale), Bauke Mollema (Belkin), Dani Navarro (Cofidis), and Sky’s Colombian duo of Sergio Henao and Rigoberto Urán.post-12015-0-43517600-1375471204_thumb.jpg

I think Chris is been a little optimistic but, who knows.

Although the safe money is still probably on Nibs, I am hoping Valverde or Uran can upset the apple cart a bit.

I hope Basso challenges.

I've always liked him, and hope he comes good again.

Yes, me too, he has had a great career but I think his best days are behind him realistically.

I'm inclined to agree with Grumps, it will be Astana / Nibs v. Movistar / Valverde for the overall.

I'm hoping Euskaltel and Sammy Sanchez / Igor Anton can bring something exciting to the party, especially as they are apparently desperate to attract a new title sponsor at the moment.

Will Uran lead Sky? Could be interesting.. Apparently Wiggins is not bothering, which must surely be a bonus from a spectator's point of view.

Is Purito riding?

The Wig is doing Tour of Britain, and all roads lead to the Worlds TT for him. He smoked the Tour of Poland TT (including Fabs) and seemed perked up somewhat.

yep, Purito is riding too, though not sure if he can realistically recover from his TDF effort, go for the vuelta win, and still target Worlds in Tuscany, which I think is his big focus for the rest of the season.

I'm inclined to agree with Grumps, it will be Astana / Nibs v. Movistar / Valverde for the overall.

I'm hoping Euskaltel and Sammy Sanchez / Igor Anton can bring something exciting to the party, especially as they are apparently desperate to attract a new title sponsor at the moment.

Will Uran lead Sky? Could be interesting.. Apparently Wiggins is not bothering, which must surely be a bonus from a spectator's point of view.

:lol: :lol: - Ha, Ha, I had a good chuckle at that LL.

I think Chris is been a little optimistic but, who knows.

Although the safe money is still probably on Nibs, I am hoping Valverde or Uran can upset the apple cart a bit.

Uran will be a big threat.

Nibs will be aware if that.

MILAN, Italy (VN) — Vincenzo Nibali let loose too much after winning the Giro d’Italia, says team Astana. He is behind and chasing form heading towards the Vuelta a España and the world championships.

“I’m not going to hide it, I expected him to be further along [in fitness],” team manager Giuseppe Martinelli told Italian daily La Gazzetta dello Sport. “He let up too much after the Giro and when he got going again, too much time had already passed.”

Velonews

MILAN, Italy (VN) — Vincenzo Nibali let loose too much after winning the Giro d’Italia, says team Astana. He is behind and chasing form heading towards the Vuelta a España and the world championships.

“I’m not going to hide it, I expected him to be further along [in fitness],” team manager Giuseppe Martinelli told Italian daily La Gazzetta dello Sport. “He let up too much after the Giro and when he got going again, too much time had already passed.”

Velonews

Hmm, interesting that, .....the manager playing down some good form, or the truth I wonder.?