Bike stolen in Bishopscourt !!

John H

Hi - Mates garage got broken into yesterday evening between 7 and 7.30pm.

2011 Giant Trance x2 in blue/black with white decals. Has a tubeless conversion with Specialized tires front and back. Size L.

Please be on the lookout.

Thanks

John

I always thought only Santa Cruz and Ellsworth mtbs were allowed in Bishops Court. ;)

Just kidding, I'd be pd off big time if my beloved Trance got nicked :cursing: , I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Must have been the grounds keepers bike to get from one end of the property to the other :ph34r:

Good thing the Colnago and Time VXRS Ulteam are safe. :whistling:

We'll be on the lookout

Confirmation that bicycles are more valuable to thieves than jewelry or cars. And that there's a very ready and willing buyers' market. Hope your mate gets his bike back.

Confirmation that bicycles are more valuable to thieves than jewelry or cars. And that there's a very ready and willing buyers' market. Hope your mate gets his bike back.

I found a very interesting US article on the economics of bike theft a while ago, I’ll see if I can find it later.

In short, thieves behave in a rational way. There is a risk/reward trade-off between the value and the consequences. Robbing a bank potentially has huge returns, but a skelm may have to deal with alarms and armed guards and there is zero chance of the cops not following up. The risk is excessive.

Shoplifting a packet of chips has negligible returns and a high chance of getting caught and prosecuted.

Stealing a bicycle hits the sweet spot. They are easy to move, give a decent return, and even in the States, almost no chance of getting caught and even if caught, prosecutions don’t follow. The consequences are considered non-existent and this gets priced in when lifting a bike.

I found a very interesting US article on the economics of bike theft a while ago, I’ll see if I can find it later.

In short, thieves behave in a rational way. There is a risk/reward trade-off between the value and the consequences. Robbing a bank potentially has huge returns, but a skelm may have to deal with alarms and armed guards and there is zero chance of the cops not following up. The risk is excessive.

Shoplifting a packet of chips has negligible returns and a high chance of getting caught and prosecuted.

Stealing a bicycle hits the sweet spot. They are easy to move, give a decent return, and even in the States, almost no chance of getting caught and even if caught, prosecutions don’t follow. The consequences are considered non-existent and this gets priced in when lifting a bike.

That was my exact thinking when I posted. Was the book Freakonomics perhaps? Still begs the question - who are the buyers??????

I also had a brand new GT MTB stolen out of my garage in Hout Bay a year ago. I put up Reward Posters at the bus stops, Spar and Shoprite and within 30 minutes had my first call. The bike was spotted in Harbour Heights and my informer gave me details of who and where. I passed this onto the police and they recovered my bike. It had already been sold twice (apparently) by the time the SAPS got there. The police never bothered to follow up but I at least got my bike back and I was happy to reward my informer. Now my bikes live in the house with me. My wife calls them "our extended family".

That was my exact thinking when I posted. Was the book Freakonomics perhaps? Still begs the question - who are the buyers??????

Here's my thoughts on this:for every bike thief, there has to be at least 3-5 willing buyers which could be categorised as follows:

1. I want a particular bike

2. I want particular spares

Number 2 person could then work through dodgy person stripping the bike for parts and or dodgy bike shops

With the value of good components rising, this market will steadily grow and the frequency of theft will increase.

If your bike is not locked and chained up in your garage, it's just not safe, and that is the world we live in!

That is the question!

Some say syndicates take then in truckloads out into neighboring countries, which would explain why it appears they all just disappear into a black hole.

Because from the volume of higher end bikes getting lifted someone would have to notice them getting sold back into the market or being ridden by very unlikely owners.

Thehub has quite a reach and apart from a few suspicions no one has a concrete idea where they go.

Edited by Skylark

I also had a brand new GT MTB stolen out of my garage in Hout Bay a year ago. I put up Reward Posters at the bus stops, Spar and Shoprite and within 30 minutes had my first call. The bike was spotted in Harbour Heights and my informer gave me details of who and where. I passed this onto the police and they recovered my bike. It had already been sold twice (apparently) by the time the SAPS got there. The police never bothered to follow up but I at least got my bike back and I was happy to reward my informer. Now my bikes live in the house with me. My wife calls them "our extended family".

That just proved my point - every bike thief has an audience of at least 5 willing buyers!

Risk of being cuaght as pointed out by eddy, maybe 5%!

I am to k*k scared to ride a stolen bike or one with stolen parts....Karma is biaaatch and when that bus takes you out you'll know why....NOT that anybody that has been knocked over was riding a stolen bike or parts ....my 5c

Risk of being cuaght, maybe 5%!

Risk of being successfully prosecuted, on the other side of Zero.

My wife refers to my girlfriends. I object, because my mtb is way to butch to be interested in me and my road bike is more of a hot mistress.