Shimano AM45's as a good all rounder?

Grebel

Thanks for all the replies! Order placed this morning. One pair of 2013 Impact Lows as well as a pair of AM45's with cleats. Should be here in the next two weeks.

The 45s is still a stiff shoe. Offers more protection and comfort over conventional fairy shoes. Im considering the same move. Ditching my Mavics in favor of a pair of Maltese Falcons.

You won't be disappointed. Look at he PDM-530s though instead of the 520. Much better pedal.

As an aside, the 530 is just a 520 with a larger "cage"

The 540's are a better pedal....

520:

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/pedals/mountain/product.image.+media+images+cycling+products+bikecomponents+PD+PD-M520-L_600x450_v1_m56577569830637304_dot_jpg.bm.512.384.gif

530:

http://crev.vo.llnwd.net/o42/mtbreview/images/products/medium450/product_487278_43779.jpg

540:

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/pedals/mountain/product.image.+media+images+cycling+products+bikecomponents+PD+PD-M540_600x450_v1_m56577569830637306_dot_jpg.bm.512.384.gif

Hijack off>>>>>>>>>>

I was tempted to spring for a set of DX's as well but couldn't stretch the budget that far.... I don't think it is possible to kill 520's. I think most people that upgrade just get tired of waiting for them to break.

• 3 weeks later...

I was tempted to spring for a set of DX's as well but couldn't stretch the budget that far.... I don't think it is possible to kill 520's. I think most people that upgrade just get tired of waiting for them to break.

I put Dx's on my new bike at the end of May - they are a bit of a rip off here but seem tough as nails and sooo much better than 520's.

Seems all the DH oriented shoes are heavy. My Hellcats are like bricks but I know they'll protect my feet

Were can u get am45s in SA other than buycycle

I think any shop that sells Shimano will be able to get you a pair. Ask them for a quote.

Guest Omega Man

I put Dx's on my new bike at the end of May - they are a bit of a rip off here but seem tough as nails and sooo much better than 520's.

Yeah I'm all about DX's The basic shape hasn't changed in years. (Why fix something that ain't broken?) Of the other 2 clip pedals that I've had exposure to the mallets have the words Crank Brothers printed on them which is enough for me to be put off and the Time's the cleats wear out quickly.

• 1 year later...

Sad I know but I have had an extended period off my bike.... I received my AM45's a year ago and I have not used them in anger yet. 

Been back on the bike recently but I have been using flats. I want to start using the AM45's but I have a question. How well do the 520's work with the AM45's? I continued to ride with my Diadora Geckos for some time after receiving the 45's using my 520's and tried the 45's on the 520's for a short ride. There is a lot of flex in the sole compared to the Gecko's.

Anybody running AM45's with 520's? Feedback? They are probably better suited to a platform type pedal. I am very tempted to spring for a set of DX's but the pricing is ridiculous. Had a look at the 424's but they don't have the mud shedding gaps like the 647's do.....

Anybody got a set of DX's lying around that they want to get rid of at a reasonable price.....???  :ph34r:

There was a pair in the clasifieds recently for R600 unused. Maybe another pair will come up.

I was running AM45's with DX's and it is a sweet combination. Unfortunately I cracked the cage on the pedals and have let them go with my last bike. I wouldn't ride the AM45's without a platform style pedal, I think you'll get uncomfortable if riding any kind of distance.

There was a pair in the clasifieds recently for R600 unused. Maybe another pair will come up.

I was running AM45's with DX's and it is a sweet combination. Unfortunately I cracked the cage on the pedals and have let them go with my last bike. I wouldn't ride the AM45's without a platform style pedal, I think you'll get uncomfortable if riding any kind of distance.

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of... Looks like I'll have to ask Santa very nicely if he'll hook me up with a pair of DX's. I had a look at the 424's but I'm worried about the lack of gaps for shedding mud.... That's the reason I ditched my 505's for the 520's.

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of... Looks like I'll have to ask Santa very nicely if he'll hook me up with a pair of DX's. I had a look at the 424's but I'm worried about the lack of gaps for shedding mud.... That's the reason I ditched my 505's for the 520's.

My wife rides on 424's (aluminium cage) and they have never given her any issues, mud or otherwise.

My wife rides on 424's (aluminium cage) and they have never given her any issues, mud or otherwise.

OK cool. The 424's ar around half the price of the 647's as well...

Archived