The EAI Val de Vie MTB Challenge, presented by Bestmed

ASG

I avoided this race. Because of the ridiculous start times, and ASG involvement. I unfortunately think twice before participating in anything they organise. We all went to the Dirtopia event at Delheim, km and km of single track, just amazing. All of us loved it.

So jealous, wish I had done that instead of the Val de Vie.

I broke my seatpost at 22km so had to join up with the 30km route. I saw no no single track in the 45 km I completed, was there anything in the 60km? The advertising for the event said world class single track.

The T-shirt was nice.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw no no single track in the 45 km I completed, was there anything in the 60km? The advertising for the event said world class single track.

Yes there were a coulpe of meters of single track ... where the one side of the jeep track was washed away, we had to ride single file yes!

They might have been expecting the masses and you can not include miles of singletrack for the masses unfortunately.

I quite like the rough stuff, sand, loose rocks, bring it on! Yes there was plenty of sand but it was all rideable. Droped the tire pressure, gooied big blade and power through 4x4 style :devil:

The last 8km we could have done with road bikes, thise se tions on the pavement and tar, that was pretty boring ja!

The waterpoints were pleny and any water point that has water colder than the luke warm stuff I have in my bottle, is good in my eyes.

My biggest gripe is the start time.

Starting so late ... is just dumb, plain and simple. Whatever the excuses, this was bought to the attention of the organizers with pleny of time to correct.

The swim in the river in Wemmershoek (Garmin read 44 freekin degrees) was a life saver and totally awesome and we were able to withstand the sun beating a bit longer!

I've got to say i really didnt have any issue with the start time. if there had been more climbing (i thought 900m was advertised but only did 700) then it may have been an issue but as there wasn't, i don't think there was any point when i felt really hot until prize giving. the water points were great, i hate having to stop so it was brilliant on that front.

i do agree about the course though, having riden the eselfontein race the day before it was a massive disappointment as that had so so much single track. I don't mind a bit of tar but there needs to be something interesting in there too to offset it. real shame everyone left so soon after, there wasn't really any atmosphere there..

great prizes though and such a lovely location. i suppose my real gripe is the fact that i didnt know the a and b were being set off together until 1 min to go! when was that decided?!

i thought the bike wash was great. my bike was minging from the day before and they did a really good job on it. didnt have to wait that long and could wait in the shade so no complaints there!

Edited by leona

Not a good 30km event ...... no single track and lots of tarmac , this does not make a good MTB event. Late start on a hot day??

Venue was nice but all inside tables was all reserved for Polo club guests so we had to sit out side is sun with 1 year old kid and by the time we left there was still empty tables inside. I understand it is the Polo club and there club house but if you don't want outsiders there don't host a MTB event

I'll give this a miss next year

Anyone know where I will be able to check the results?

www.great-time.co.za

Edited by kvdp

I avoided this race. Because of the ridiculous start times, and ASG involvement. I unfortunately think twice before participating in anything they organise. We all went to the Dirtopia event at Delheim, km and km of single track, just amazing. All of us loved it.

What is your beef with ASG if I may ask?

What is your beef with ASG if I may ask?

Did a couple of below par events they organised, and then the last straw was the absolutely horrific Monument challenge they organised in June this year. They did not deliver on any pre race promises and a route with loads of traffic, especially trucks, with no marshalling at all. After that, I realized they dont give a flying f$ck about us. My opinion, with so many races I pick the ones they are not involved in.