SA MTB Ballies (over 30) Mentalities ??? Please explain

nigelhicks

I have ridden the course during its various incarnations - you will need to put on your big boy pants and take a realistic view of the risks you can and can't take in view of your work and family commitments.

I am still not sure if I will be taking the A line on all the obstacles, some I am happy with and others not - at this stage.

There are a lot of entries. A lot of the obstacles you will need momentum for. Too many riders in front of you and you will either be waiting or taking the B or C line in any event.

A lot of the guys and girls have crashed on that course. Crashed hard. A lot of very good riders with great technical skills have crashed hard on that course.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As always on the hub I wonder how many guys giving advice telling htfu etc have actually ridden a xco.Gap jumps,rock gardens,doubles no problem on your own.

Throw in 50 okes all trying to hit that double at the same time,different story.Imagine if in a effort to save time in the downhill they let 5 guys off at once.

By the way,thanks for all the effort and hard work Nigel.

I think the course is awesome .

Do you know if they have decided on amount of laps yet?

Edited by stringbean

As always on the hub I wonder how many guys giving advice telling htfu etc have actually ridden a xco.Gap jumps,rock gardens,doubles no problem on your own.

Throw in 50 okes all trying to hit that double at the same time,different story.Imagine if in a effort to save time in the downhill they let 5 guys off at once.

They used to. Called it 4X...... Just smaller bikes. :ph34r:

Edit: Added smiley.

Edited by Grebel

In other news - what the hell is this pooftah 800m sprint with two rocks, 4 stairs and some dirt *** they're doing now?

"Eliminator" - the only thing it eliminates is 5 minutes of my life.

In the end, if it's comparable in terms of technicality/"danger" to other WC courses then what's the problem?

People crash, it happens. A friend of mine crashed yesterday on a trail we ride every weekend, is he going to suggest that they make it "SAFER"?? NO!

It is, what it is.

@Nige: Can't make it up there myself, but wishing you guys all the luck with the event. Will be AWESOME. Do you know if there'll be live tv coverage?

On the note of "Chicken Runs" ........... Man i HATE that term ... the oke who came up with that should be dragged into the street and dressed in a Chicken Suit!!!

No one is a "Chicken" ... everyone is their own pro ... no matter what your level of riding ... So by naming something a "Chicken Run" the organisers are saying that their participants are Chickens ... and by Golly - NO SA MTB rider will ever be called CHICKEN

... so they all take the "Bull Run" ... even if it is over their technical level of experience ... so it causes hell on earth ....

Thats why trails with multiline technical options, A, B and C lines make such a difference ...

To all the organisers out there - next time you have a bonfire - BURN your Chicken and Bull Run signs ...

I fully agree with this!

A chicken run should actually feed all the "takers" back home to mommy and a warm bath or else let them lose abt half the lap's time.

At SA's in Hayterdale I saw guys taking chicken runs and still manage to end up on the podium - THAT"S WRONG!

There's supposed to be no higher level or more technical level then XCO so why make it easy for lesser skilled riders?

If there's no chicken run, you can still get off your bike and walk the obstacle provided you're in nobody's way.

Nigel, plse close off those chicken runs!! Thank you!

In other news - what the hell is this pooftah 800m sprint with two rocks, 4 stairs and some dirt *** they're doing now?

"Eliminator" - the only thing it eliminates is 5 minutes of my life.

A bit like 20/20 Cricket.... Supposed to draw the crowds with the WOW factor but not everybody's cup of tea. (I'm a 5 day test match guy myself....) They should have left 4X alone instead.

Aaa,I remember those days.Not on smaller bikes tho.One bike for everything.4 X Friday night,XC Saturday,DH Sunday and if you weren't bruised nough you would sommer give trials a go on Sunday pm.All on same bike.Talk about entertaining .

Aaa,I remember those days.Not on smaller bikes tho.One bike for everything.4 X Friday night,XC Saturday,DH Sunday and if you weren't bruised nough you would sommer give trials a go on Sunday pm.All on same bike.Talk about entertaining .

That was a long time ago....

Not to me it wasn't.You riding Grebel?What age group ?

Yebo yes. DH 40-44

Edited by Grebel

With all this energy going into bitching how about rather transferring that energy into support for the course builders as well as the ballies taking part.Been in xco for a long time and I know that in almost every age group we have real podium contenders and we will come home with a few World champs as well.Really sad to hear about Chris.

With all this energy going into bitching how about rather transferring that energy into support for the course builders as well as the ballies taking part.Been in xco for a long time and I know that in almost every age group we have real podium contenders and we will come home with a few World champs as well.Really sad to hear about Chris.

Lots of opinions. Gonna be interesting to see how many come out to support.

Yebo yes. DH 40-44

XC 40-44.

I take my hat off to you guys.Cant believe how downhill has changed over the last 20 years.A XC course today is more technical than a DH 15 years ago.Today DH is just insane.

Good luck,spot you at the party.