Buying my 1st house/self employed/advice please

madvics

I think most people who are self employed are married that way, Its just safer

Hope you don't mean it's safer to marry in COP vs ANC.

Cos if you do, then you couldn't be more wrong. In COP all assets are shared 100%. So if a business fails or incurs massive debt for which the members are liable, the creditors can come after the spouse as well. Safest way to marry for a business person is with an ante-nuptial contract (ANC) as there the assets stay separate in their entirety.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you don't mean it's safer to marry in COP vs ANC.

Cos if you do, then you couldn't be more wrong. In COP all assets are shared 100%. So if a business fails or incurs massive debt for which the members are liable, the creditors can come after the spouse as well. Safest way to marry for a business person is with an ante-nuptial contract (ANC) as there the assets stay separate in their entirety.

Yep.

I got married at 24, with zero assets and no aspirations to run a business.

I didnt know better.

Hence i would rather have married ANC - only to protect my wife and kids.

Yep.

I got married at 24, with zero assets and no aspirations to run a business.

I didnt know better.

Hence i would rather have married ANC - only to protect my wife and kids.

You can convert to ANC. I think it costs about 20k or so, so it's not cheap but in the grand scheme of things it may be worth it. Especially considering the downside would be FAR more than 20k. Not to mention the difference Ito the time it takes to wind things up.

You can convert to ANC. I think it costs about 20k or so, so it's not cheap but in the grand scheme of things it may be worth it. Especially considering the downside would be FAR more than 20k. Not to mention the difference Ito the time it takes to wind things up.

Thanks...I did not know this.

WHo would you approach regarding this?

Thanks dude.

Now that wifey has started her own business as well, i think this would be a great step to take.

Will chat with her tonight.

Hi, You also have to check the type of ANC agreement. You can have ANC non-accrual, so you will always have a seperation of assets and liabilities; or you can have ANC with-accrual, in that, what you brought into the agreement (marriage) is your own, but anything earned by both parties afterwards is 'joint'.

As far as I remember, (I stand to be corrected but I think I'm right) to change your marriage status you're going to have to officially get divorced and then remarried, otherwise it's a civil contract which can be both good or bad depending on who draws up the agreement.

As far as I remember, (I stand to be corrected but I think I'm right) to change your marriage status you're going to have to officially get divorced and then remarried, otherwise it's a civil contract which can be both good or bad depending on who draws up the agreement.

I know someone who recently changed their marriage contract, set them back R 30K and was a hell of a mission..... Best thing is just to do it right the first time round : ) If you going to go through all the effort of getting divorced, you may as well stay divorced then :ph34r:

Hi, You also have to check the type of ANC agreement. You can have ANC non-accrual, so you will always have a seperation of assets and liabilities; or you can have ANC with-accrual, in that, what you brought into the agreement (marriage) is your own, but anything earned by both parties afterwards is 'joint'.

You don't have to get divorced, but you have to apply to court to change your marital status and you have to advertise your intention in the government Gazette and to all your creditors beforehand.

In previous generations there was no way to change your marital status and people tried to circumvent it by divorcing and remarrying.