Warranty Claim - Should I carry any costs?

Dirt De Vil

I had the same problem on my Ghost a few months back, personally I dont feel I should have carried the cost of fitting the parts and having to buy a new BB and cabling, the bike was less than a year old but what can you do?

I did at least get an upgrade on the frame and the guys charged me very little for the build.

Edited by Mojoman

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats true, but the manufacturer will only replace the sub assembly and not replace all the associated bits like fuel injection, alternator, water pump etc because the motor is frazzled, however VW wont charge you to remove those parts from the old sub assembly, including the gearbox and drive train and refit them on the new sub assembly, which is substantially a lot more work - you take the vehicle in and get it back in driving condition - no charges extra.

So its actually not a bad example at all.

Taking it further though, Grumps - if anyone else but an authorized VW dealer / mech worked on a VW (or any car, for that matter) during warranty period, the warranty would become void. So essentially they're bound by their own warranty conditions and are forced to give it back in driving condition.

With the bike frame, it just has to be assembled by the dealer. Nothing about replacing parts / taking parts across.

But I do agree with the sentiment of replacing everything necessary for a new build. Just instituting a checklist for the LBS to fill out on a warranty replacement.

Things like

Fork standard: Reducer needed: Yes / No

BB92 Shell needed: yes / no

BB30 Shell needed yes / no

And so on. That way there's no problem with compatability when the new frame arrives, as it ships with all teh adapters needed for the rebuild.

Just a small thing that would have a drastic effect on how the distributors are viewed.

Giant as all manaufacturers only warranty the frame and not the components. If you read the conditions attached to the warranty you will notice that the warranty only extends to suppying the frame and that any further cost (ie shipping cost) will be for your account.

Most warranty if not all, will carry a consequential damage clause. i.e. they do not accept consequential damage claims. Meaning they will not be held liable for damages caused as a result of their product failure which includes costs. So your additional strip and rebuild fee would fall under this clause

Taking it further though, Grumps - if anyone else but an authorized VW dealer / mech worked on a VW (or any car, for that matter) during warranty period, the warranty would become void. So essentially they're bound by their own warranty conditions and are forced to give it back in driving condition.

With the bike frame, it just has to be assembled by the dealer. Nothing about replacing parts / taking parts across.

But I do agree with the sentiment of replacing everything necessary for a new build. Just instituting a checklist for the LBS to fill out on a warranty replacement.

Things like

Fork standard: Reducer needed: Yes / No

BB92 Shell needed: yes / no

BB30 Shell needed yes / no

And so on. That way there's no problem with compatability when the new frame arrives, as it ships with all teh adapters needed for the rebuild.

Just a small thing that would have a drastic effect on how the distributors are viewed.

Okay, fair enough, I hear what you are saying, but if a shop is an authorized representative of that distributors brand, then surely they should also be bound by the warranty. Personally I would not think its normal to take a product in for a warranty repair / replacement and end up paying for parts to be fitted and removed, as you say its possibly the way things are, but I dont think its right.

One could really extrapolate it forward and say if my dishwasher breaks down and Samsung sends out a private but authorized repairman then he can charge me for opening the machine, checking whats wrong and replacing it all afterwards? Samsung only needs to cover the broken spring.? because thats really what is happening here.

But as we know, Samsung will cover the cost to repair my machine and put it back in working order including the costs of stripping and replacing, surely that should be the way with a repair here too.??

The warranty is on the frame. If you take in your old frame (just the frame), they'll give you the new one free of charge. But if you take in your whole bike, which is not under warranty, they'll ask a fee to rebuild that as an extra service

I had to pay labour and courier costs for Magura Brakes under warranty which needed a repair due to a leak on both brakelevers. I was not happy...

Edited by Gerhard Odendaal

WHY ARE ALL THE GIANT 29ers suddenly cracking????

Will have to go an "inspect" my 9er's irritating creaky sound....may its a cracked frame??

Coz they want you to buy a new 27.5 ;)

Most warranty if not all, will carry a consequential damage clause. i.e. they do not accept consequential damage claims. Meaning they will not be held liable for damages caused as a result of their product failure which includes costs. So your additional strip and rebuild fee would fall under this clause

Hmm, not sure thats correct legally as there is no consequential damage to the parts, they are simply an upgrade or different in size or fit, that is not the clients fault, and in my opinion he would be unfairly disadvantaged if they used that clause as an excuse.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

The warranty is on the frame. If you take in your old frame (just the frame), they'll give you the new one free of charge. But if you take in your whole bike, which is not under warranty, they'll ask a fee to rebuild that as an extra service

I do agree with you to a certain extent.

I think if you sold a guy a bike and it cracked, good customer service will to fix the problem for him. IE stripping and rebuilding and making sure he's riding again ASAP with as little hassle as possible.

I guess it depends on the agent you're using.

When my frame cracked, I was lucky enough to get a brand new frame, no questions asked and a free rebuild.

They took a while with the build though. I probably would have been ready to ride if I had just taken the frame and built it myself. But it was free I guess

Edited by Hayseed

Okay, fair enough, I hear what you are saying, but if a shop is an authorized representative of that distributors brand, then surely they should also be bound by the warranty. Personally I would not think its normal to take a product in for a warranty repair / replacement and end up paying for parts to be fitted and removed, as you say its possibly the way things are, but I dont think its right.

True to an extent - however remember that the car dealerships themselves are extensions of the brand, and have strict supplier agreements. All warranty costs & servicing are billed to "VWSA" or "SAMCOR" etc, whereas the LBS's are just authorized resellers..

If the warranty holders (Giant / SPez etc) were to refund the LBS the cost of labour and parts needed to rebuild the bike, then yeah that would be perfect. But methinks that would be like asking a cock to lay an egg.

cracked my Giant Anthem 29er at Eston on Sunday

Took it in to the LBS at lunchtime yesterday.

was given the opportunity to pay the difference and upgrage the frame.

they are taking a frame off of one of the bikes on the shop floor and fitting all the bits & pieces from my old bike to it at no cost.

only cost to me is the upgrade.

Am collecting my "new" bike this evening

By upgrading the frame, what are you talking about? Alu to Carbon?

Giant as all manaufacturers only warranty the frame and not the components. If you read the conditions attached to the warranty you will notice that the warranty only extends to suppying the frame and that any further cost (ie shipping cost) will be for your account.

Most manufacturers state that they will honour the warranty of the component manufacturer their bikes come specced with.

This is pretty much moot anyway, as the CPA makes for a six-month provision on any failure.

[/size]True to an extent - however remember that the car dealerships themselves are extensions of the brand, and have strict supplier agreements. All warranty costs & servicing are billed to "VWSA" or "SAMCOR" etc, whereas the LBS's are just authorized resellers..

If the warranty holders (Giant / SPez etc) were to refund the LBS the cost of labour and parts needed to rebuild the bike, then yeah that would be perfect. But methinks that would be like asking a cock to lay an egg.

Indeed, but this is the crux of the matter really, as a client I would expect that the distributor reimburse the retailer, who is in fact an authorized extension of his sales chain for the costs the retailer incurs in putting my warranty claim to bed, that it is not happening is obvious, and hence the cost implication to the client, but, like the OP, that would not have been my expectation.

Indeed, but this is the crux of the matter really, as a client I would expect that the distributor reimburse the retailer, who is in fact an authorized extension of his sales chain for the costs the retailer incurs in putting my warranty claim to bed, that it is not happening is obvious, and hence the cost implication to the client, but, like the OP, that would not have been my expectation.

Whatever happened to the Reasonable Man test when deciding things like this? Seems it was replaced by the "let's fleece 'em for all they have" technique