Warranty Claim - Should I carry any costs?

Dirt De Vil

I recently discovered a crack on my 2010 Giant Anthem frame. The importer is exchanging the frame which I appreciate, however I am told the stripping, rebuilding, new press fit BB and fork steerer adaptor will be for my account. That I do not appreciate since the cost to be incurred is a result of the cracked frame. Do I have a case or is this how it works with warranty claim conditions? Any hubbers that can share their similar experience and which party eventually carried the consequential costs will be great.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the exact same thing happen to me last year when Giant replaced my XTC 29 frame. Thankful that they replace the frame, but even so it cost me about R700 in the end. Labour and the new pressfit BB.

If my VW engine packs up during warranty, I take it in and get it back with a new engine. No questions, no costs. Or is this not a good comparison to make?

I guess the frame is the item under warranty, so charging for labour is fair, although doing it for free and only charging for the adapters would be much better customer service.

I had the exact same thing happen to me last year when Giant replaced my XTC 29 frame. Thankful that they replace the frame, but even so it cost me about R700 in the end. Labour and the new pressfit BB.

If my VW engine packs up during warranty, I take it in and get it back with a new engine. No questions, no costs. Or is this not a good comparison to make?

That's because it's a standard engine which they keep on manufacturing for second hand / warranty claims.

Bike manufacturers don't continue an old production run for previous generation bikes just for warranty purposes. That they provide you with a new, current freame is a bonus - improved geometries, stiffness etc.

Because it's a newer standard for some bits, there may be an amount htat you have to pay in order to get it rideable again (fork reducer etc) but it's nowhere near the cost of a new frame.

The warranty will have a limitation to just the replacement frame, and not any other associated costs. This is pretty standard for these types of goods that are sold through independent merchants.

Imagine what would happen if you found a bike shop that was dishonest and overcharged for the build...

its not hard to build a bike....do it yourself. but yes standard warranty conditions normally say frame only...associated costs are not for their account...been discussed many times here on the Hub

Edited by Mike Bike

You can always strip and rebuild the frame yourself. And try to put your current fork and BB in it without the adaptors? But that would just be daft.

Cracked my 2011 Giant XTC 29er frame about 3 weeks ago. Took it back to Cajees, where I bought it, with my slip. Frame was replaced with a 2013 frame (including reassembly and new sleeves/cabling...Alles) at no cost to me within a week.

Never thought I'd have such great service.

cracked my Giant Anthem 29er at Eston on Sunday

Took it in to the LBS at lunchtime yesterday.

was given the opportunity to pay the difference and upgrage the frame.

they are taking a frame off of one of the bikes on the shop floor and fitting all the bits & pieces from my old bike to it at no cost.

only cost to me is the upgrade.

Am collecting my "new" bike this evening

Cracked my 2011 Giant XTC 29er frame about 3 weeks ago. Took it back to Cajees, where I bought it, with my slip. Frame was replaced with a 2013 frame (including reassembly and new sleeves/cabling...Alles) at no cost to me within a week.

Never thought I'd have such great service.

Yes,

but you are going to have to take it to another store to have everything checked and re-installed.

They are terrible when it comes to servicing.

Took my bike there once to have gears adjusted when I first started riding.

When I got the bike back the crank was loose and they hadn't adjusted the gears.

WHY ARE ALL THE GIANT 29ers suddenly cracking????

Will have to go an "inspect" my 9er's irritating creaky sound....may its a cracked frame??

WHY ARE ALL THE GIANT 29ers suddenly cracking????

Will have to go an "inspect" my 9er's irritating creaky sound....may its a cracked frame??

Maybe Giant is the only manufacturer replacing cracked frames, thats why you only hear about then in the thread :ph34r:

Guest Omega Man

Maybe Giant is the only manufacturer replacing cracked frames, thats why you only hear about then in the thread :ph34r:

Ja way better than a cracked frame that doesn't get replaced.

My Scott also had a cracking sound...ended up being the seatpost bolt not the Scott frame :clap:

But now you got a new bolt...

Should have used a Ducati bolt

That's because it's a standard engine which they keep on manufacturing for second hand / warranty claims.

Bike manufacturers don't continue an old production run for previous generation bikes just for warranty purposes. That they provide you with a new, current freame is a bonus - improved geometries, stiffness etc.

Because it's a newer standard for some bits, there may be an amount htat you have to pay in order to get it rideable again (fork reducer etc) but it's nowhere near the cost of a new frame.

Thats true, but the manufacturer will only replace the sub assembly and not replace all the associated bits like fuel injection, alternator, water pump etc because the motor is frazzled, however VW wont charge you to remove those parts from the old sub assembly, including the gearbox and drive train and refit them on the new sub assembly, which is substantially a lot more work - you take the vehicle in and get it back in driving condition - no charges extra.

So its actually not a bad example at all.