swim sets

mon-goose

This past sat I did my first 10km pool set. The longest set prior to this was 5km so I wasn't sure if I'd make it. But I took it easy for the first 6km and then just did 1km at a time. I broke the 10km up into 500m sets with a big variety. So each 500 was interesting. No shoulder pains and today my muscles aren't sore either. But I was stuffed the rest of sat and sun. I didn't eat properly after the swim so I felt it. Took me 3hr40 in the pool to finish but I'm super super happy and I now know I can do it. A huge mental block gone:

My 10km

500: Warmup

500: Pull

500: 10 * (25 back / 25 breast)

500: 100 free / 100 moderate / 100 free / 100 moderate / 100 free

500: 10 * (25 kick / 25 pull)

500: Free

500: 5 * 100 (25 moderate / 25 free / 25 moderate / 25 free)

500: Catchup

500: 10 * (25 Free / 25 breast)

500: Breast stroke

Edited by mon-goose

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This past sat I did my first 10km pool set. The longest set prior to this was 5km so I wasn't sure if I'd make it. But I took it easy for the first 6km and then just did 1km at a time. I broke the 10km up into 500m sets with a big variety. So each 500 was interesting. No shoulder pains and today my muscles aren't sore either. But I was stuffed the rest of sat and sun. I didn't eat properly after the swim so I felt it. Took me 3hr40 in the pool to finish but I'm super super happy and I now know I can do it. A huge mental block gone:

My 10km

500: Warmup

500: 10 * (25 kick / 25 pull)

500: Catchup

500: 10 * (25 Free / 25 breast)

500: Breast stroke

No butterfly. I am disappointed in you. :ph34r:

Our pool at home has a cover and we have 4 panels on the roof, water last night was 34deg

My fav swim set is 1 length then a sip of beer, then another then a sip of beer, repeat till bottle is empty.

This past sat I did my first 10km pool set.

Serious ****, this! Well done.

Where are you going with this? What's the goal?

Edited by Snytjie

At the moment I'd love to do a 5km open water swim early next year January or February in the eikenhof dam in grabouw. That's my only goal at the moment. Maybe long term if I keep going and I can get used to cold water I might try the robben island swim

Robben island, mmmmm... I've never been on the island and thought the other day that I'd like to swim there for my first visit. Sort of symbolic, in my own little life.

Only thing is: I'm not really keen on adding all the body fat that is suggested in order to help you through. I just spent two years getting mine down to acceptable levels. To pick that up again and spent a year or more training with it is not really palatable to me...

This past sat I did my first 10km pool set.

Huge respect! I have yet to find the motivation to swim anything further than 3.5km in the pool or open water at this stage.

That does look like a nice set though. What do you mean by Free/Moderate? I would also replace the breaststroke with something else - hate breaststroke! but that is just me.

Keep up the good work.

free = freestyle at an easy pace

moderate = freestyle at a slightly moderate pace (not sprint but more effort than easy)

not a huge fan of breaststroke but I find it a nice resting stroke.

pull - don't use your legs. you can either put a pull float between your legs to keep them up or just drag your legs. I just drag mine

catch up - one arms stays extended in front of you until the other arm has completed a full stroke and is also fully extended in front of you. You don't start the next stroke until both arms are fully extended in front of you.

PM you email address as I have a 20 week build up program you can take a look at and it has loads of sets between 1km and 2km. And I've got a few that I've put together

Hi Mon-goose I will drop you a pm as well if you don't mind sharing those plans. I am just starting to find my feet in the water and some structured 1-2km plans would be great! :thumbup: :clap:

• 3 weeks later...

did a nice 3km set last night

12 x (75 freestyle easy 75 freestyle harder 50 freestyle easy)

3 x (100 backstroke 100 beaststroke 100 freestyle)

Guest Latent Blue

anyone keen to share some of their swim sets?

900 Easy

400 Pull

250 (25 fly / 25 breast)

125 backstroke

125 free

400 fast

300 easy

200 (4x50 sprint)

300 moderate

1000 easy

total 4000m

This post... I have no idea what it means!?

Edit: Ok now i see... apologies

Edited by Latent Blue

Our pool at home has a cover and we have 4 panels on the roof, water last night was 34deg

My fav swim set is 1 length then a sip of beer, then another then a sip of beer, repeat till bottle is empty.

LOL times have changed, I remember see'ing you swim 10km around homestead

This post... I have no idea what it means!?

Edit: Ok now i see... apologies

shout if you need some help

Guest Latent Blue

shout if you need some help

Im from the Northern Cape! I cant even swim... I can splash quite nicely though