Max Heart Rate Curiosity

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is 200 as tested a few weeks ago - and you are young enough to have been born when I was in high school... :) max HR is often VERY different from the calculations.

Now we know why you're called V12man!!

Edited by Wannabe

Now we know why you're called V12man!!

LOL.... that and an obsession with Italian tractors... :)

I also know how to structure a max HR test properly...

Dr, another question, would a Pericarditis incident (granted 10 years ago) affect Max heartrate?

Edit: I think it was technically a combination of Peri and Myo carditis

Edited by Bobbo_SA

His ticker revs like a F1 motor

F1 hasn't been V12 for decades.... not even good racing anymore...

I also know how to structure a max HR test properly...

How? After my HR gets over the 190, I normally start slowing down..

Some say that his heart is made from pure titanium.

Dr, another question, would a Pericarditis incident (granted 10 years ago) affect Max heartrate?

Maybe - but I doubt it would have a major impact if you are fully recovered with no residual damage - I will ask around and see if there is a better qualified verdict for you.

The last ultrasound I had showed some scarring on the lower left side of the pericardium but apparently it wasn't actually touching anything so was told not to worry.

Mental note to schedule a cardio visit soon.

How? After my HR gets over the 190, I normally start slowing down..

1 - be fully rested before the test - so at least 3 days recovery lazing around.

2 - warm up fully - so at least 30 min, and including a few 4 or 5 max efforts of about 30 sec, and 10 min of recovery soft pedalling to recover after that

3 - 4 - 6 45 - 60 seconds max intervals at high cadence with 60 sec rest (depends on your fitness how many intervals)

5 - 1 MAX effort 40sec - 2 min as HARD as possible - cadence 80 - 110 - take the max HR after you blow up completely - sometimes might take a few sec after to get to max.

If you don't feel significantly nauseous after the test for a couple of minutes, then you did not go hard enough - give it a few days and try again. Puking is allowed. Dropping your bike and lying down in the road is allowed... if somewhat unsafe...

Do not do this if you have or suspect you may have any medical conditions other than insanity.......

Mental note to schedule a cardio visit soon.

Good idea.... must do a full stress test too - and and....

I just use mine as a guide with RPE, good for training. Can't think of a racing scenario I have used it other than looking at the files afterwards. Trail running races I do use it though, can't just hammer it for 5 hours!

Yep, I know that... just in reference to how "high" the heart beats.

Speaking of F1... I think the new 1,6 V6 Turbo is going to be a load of crap. Yes I understand technology must move forward but a bit more capacity would be great or less restriction on the boost.

1 - be fully rested before the test - so at least 3 days recovery lazing around.

2 - warm up fully - so at least 30 min, and including a few 4 or 5 max efforts of about 30 sec, and 10 min of recovery soft pedalling to recover after that

3 - 4 - 6 45 - 60 seconds max intervals at high cadence with 60 sec rest (depends on your fitness how many intervals)

5 - 1 MAX effort 40sec - 2 min as HARD as possible - cadence 80 - 110 - take the max HR after you blow up completely - sometimes might take a few sec after to get to max.

If you don't feel significantly nauseous after the test for a couple of minutes, then you did not go hard enough - give it a few days and try again. Puking is allowed. Dropping your bike and lying down in the road is allowed... if somewhat unsafe...

Do not do this if you have or suspect you may have any medical conditions other than insanity.......

Its also a good idea to have some one with you when you do this, not only for the "safety" aspect but also to motivate / goad you to carry on for "just a few more seconds"

Its easy to think you need to stop, when in reality you can probably continue a bit longer. Heart rate takes awhile to catch up to the effort, usually longer than it takes for you to convince yourself you have to stop now....

+1000!

Very good advice.