XO1 Yes Please!!!!

Izak

From what I've heard Sram have patented the XX1 style tooth pattern and the 10/42 style rear cassette , if this is true it leaves the Shimano boys with their pants down .

I'm not sure with Wolf copies but if this is true the Shimano guys are in a bit of k@k .

Only Freehub body and a couple of rear der solutions have been patented. Wide/narrow tooth chainrings is an old design that was never used. The way they machine the cassette is quite complicated, costly and time consuming, but there are ways around that I'm sure.

Freehub body that allows use of 10T will be the sticky one to get around.

Well then they can go 9/41 or 9/43.

I think they've patented the method that they make the cassette and/or the freehub fixture method.

Can you patent a big sprocket?

9T has proved unusable in tests. Can't get smooth pedal stroke. Cant patent big sprocket.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmmmmm, so rumour has it that Acros already developed a 11x 1

Best news is that apparently you will be able to convert your existing 2 x 10 to 11 x 1 be replacing one simple component.

Those Ghermans sure know how to design stuff with forward thinking

Only Freehub body and a couple of rear der solutions have been patented. Wide/narrow tooth chainrings is an old design that was never used. The way they machine the cassette is quite complicated, costly and time consuming, but there are ways around that I'm sure.

Freehub body that allows use of 10T will be the sticky one to get around.

9T has proved unusable in tests. Can't get smooth pedal stroke. Cant patent big sprocket.

Not Sticky at all

Shimano has already done this with the capreo freehub, Canfield brothers also have/had a 9t microdrive system

http://canfieldbrothers.com/components/9-tooth-rear-hub

im really curious what shimano is up to, not like them to stay so quiet on the MTB side of things for a while, all the sponsored XCO guys are still riding 'old' 2x10 XTR......?

Apparently they looking at bringing their electronic stuff into MTB

Not Sticky at all

Shimano has already done this with the capreo freehub, Canfield brothers also have/had a 9t microdrive system

http://canfieldbroth...-tooth-rear-hub

Sorry, meant in terms of patents SRAM has on XX1.

First I hear about Capreo - interesting, thanks. I know Hope was testing a 9T design with cassette/freehub combo, but was scrapped (from what I've heard) due to issues

Cant find the Hope release now, but here's something from SRAM

XX1 Cassette: Why a 9 tooth cog failed

Following the development of the derailleur, the next step in the development of XX1 was figuring out an acceptable gear range. Early 10-speed prototypes had a 9-36 tooth range. Testing proved that a 9 tooth cog was too small to be pedalled comfortably. Such a small cog caused a shuddering sensation when pedalled under load. This is due to a phenomenon known as the “polygon effect,” which results from variations in speed as the chain transitions from one cog to the next.

“The smaller you get, the bigger the polygon effect,” said Henrik Braedt, a design engineer who worked on the development of the XX1 cassette. This effect exponentially decreases relative to the number of teeth on a cog. The addition of one tooth, along with carful machining of the tooth profile mitigated the polygon effect.

am sure I read somewhere that the narrow/wide tooth profile is something from way back that Sram stumbled across and they don't hold the patent.....? hence wolf, race face all making similar chain rings now....

am sure I read somewhere that the narrow/wide tooth profile is something from way back that Sram stumbled across and they don't hold the patent.....? hence wolf, race face all making similar chain rings now....

There's also a guy in Italy that makes them too.

http://www.zorlonisnc.191.it/prodotti.htm

Another thing I've noticed about the Race Face rings is that the profile/height of the tooth is the same as a standard chainring as opposed to SRAM, Wolf tooth & Zeta, which is longer thus helping to keep the chain on better

• 3 weeks later...

So X01 will be later than end of Sept. Uptake has been 600% of SRAM's forecast which was already quite high following XX1's success. We will have to wait a bit longer...

Cant find the Hope release now, but here's something from SRAM

Following the development of the derailleur, the next step in the development of XX1 was figuring out an acceptable gear range. Early 10-speed prototypes had a 9-36 tooth range. Testing proved that a 9 tooth cog was too small to be pedalled comfortably. Such a small cog caused a shuddering sensation when pedalled under load. This is due to a phenomenon known as the “polygon effect,” which results from variations in speed as the chain transitions from one cog to the next.

“The smaller you get, the bigger the polygon effect,” said Henrik Braedt, a design engineer who worked on the development of the XX1 cassette. This effect exponentially decreases relative to the number of teeth on a cog. The addition of one tooth, along with carful machining of the tooth profile mitigated the polygon effect.

can you please post it again, but smaller this time - its still far too big