Should i or not

ScottCM

As a comparison, a month ago I bought the following for R1 500.00 (spent another R450 on it for flat pedals some ESI grips so call it R1950):

post-41238-0-32086300-1376915240_thumb.jpg

Mongoose Amasa Pro, SRAM x-7 shifting, Avid Elixer 5, Full tubeless with Purgatory up front and Wolverine at the back, Manitou air fork.

That's quite a good deal

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a comparison, a month ago I bought the following for R1 500.00 (spent another R450 on it for flat pedals some ESI grips so call it R1950):

Mongoose Amasa Pro, SRAM x-7 shifting, Avid Elixer 5, Full tubeless with Purgatory up front and Wolverine at the back, Manitou air fork.

nice deal, i always seem to miss those types of specials or they bike is never my size

that scott bike you posted is ideal for the kind of riding you want to do. It is with your kids round the block, so this bike looks perfect!

you are not going to be doing any hardcore racing or single track riding. Spend the money get the bike, ride with your kids while you can and save. In 3 years or so, both you and them will require an upgrade. But not now!

That's a good option, small problem is that it seems to be in East London

that's OK, loads of hubbers travel, a few know a transport company or two. We can work something out. Lets first see if the bike is wanted and falls within a price range that is workable

So in your opinion, the Silverback is a better buy than the Scott?

What is the reasoning behind this so i also know what to look out for in the future?

So in your opinion, the Silverback is a better buy than the Scott?

What is the reasoning behind this so i also know what to look out for in the future?

in terms of the riding you want to do (with your kids on tar road round the block, with a little bit of dirt road thrown in once in a while), totally no difference at all.

the scott has cleated pedals and the silverback flat pedals, that is about it.

but as you say, buy the r1000 bike, get it serviced and you will be fine for the next few years of doing short rides with the family.

in terms of the riding you want to do (with your kids on tar road round the block, with a little bit of dirt road thrown in once in a while), totally no difference at all.

the scott has cleated pedals and the silverback flat pedals, that is about it.

but as you say, buy the r1000 bike, get it serviced and you will be fine for the next few years of doing short rides with the family.

if i wanted to go and say do a race then you would suggest the silvewrback?

The Silverback is newer, yes you can do a race on the Silverback

I have a friend selling a 2011 GT Avalanche 1

its an xl frame 26inch wheels, shimano xt rear derailer, deore disk hrdraulic brakes, rockshock toro front shock

in silver and black with low low mileage under 200km

for 4K!!!!

if you are interested message me and i can send pics and details :)

if you plan on a race, then yes, the silverback could do it as well, for the simple fact that it is newer. as per flowta's comments

from what I can see on the pics, if disk brakes are important to you, then you can upgrade, although you might need new wheels as I don't think those hubs are rotor friendly, but I am sure other hubbers will know more.

how much do you need to put in to afford this bike ?

http://www.thehubsa....-mountain-bike/

tell you what, I'll chip in R100 as well, so with MTBwannabee you have an extra R200. Lets see if we can score you a bike.

I am concerned about that shock on the Silverback. Silverback's are great bikes BUT that shock's coating looks very VERY worn out. This will mean that it will leak oil and lose air pressure (if its a air shock). To fix that will mean he will have to spend at least another R450 for seals and that is IF the shock is still serviceable.