vastus medialis

FondTF2

Hi Hubbers

This is a questions aimed at hubbers who are doctors/physio’s or those that experience a similar issue.

When doing a lengthy ride (Road or MTB), I start cramping in the vastus medialis (muscle on the inside of the thigh just above the knee). This normally happens after about 3hrs in the saddle.

Question is:

- What can possibly attribute to this: Bike setup / muscle weakness

- Are there exercises that can strengthen that particular muscle

post-8350-0-08158300-1376987016_thumb.jpg

Cramp does not have much to do with muscle strength, but is more common for undertrained people.

Cramp is does not have a very well defined cause either. so you have to experiment a bit to find a solution. I prefer to do these sequentially rather than all at once, and re-asses after each intervention to see the effect

Assuming you are actually suffering from cramp and not something else:

1 - First have a good bike fit done, and get used to riding in the revised position for a few weeks - see if it resolves.

2 - Adjust your diet/nutrient intake on a ride - additional fluid and electrolytes during the ride.

3 - You can try supplementation of specific electrolytes - generally start with 1 magnesium tab daily, and a multivit - I like to recommend pre-natal vits, because they cover more bases than some others. Calcium and potassium are also potential supplements to try - but definitely do them sequentially for a couple of weeks each before moving to the next one.

If none of those work, then a more detailed investigation and testing is probably needed to see if there are other contributing causes to the problem and find a more accurate diagnosis/treatment.

I'm no doctor or biokineticist but it could be from an imbalance in muscle strength. Like you vastus laterals may be weaker than the vastus medials which in turn causes the vastus medials to compensate and work harder to "balance" each other out and that in the end leads to the pain you are feeling. If you try and massage your vastus medials, are they tight?

This is a possibility. Maybe go for a deep tissue sports massage and see if that sorts it out (and describe to them what you are feeling when on the bike for 3hrs.)

Hi

As V12MAN states, there are a number of factors causing cramp. Electrolyte problems are quite rare and you would probably be getting cramp at other times of day, and not just in one muscle like you currently are, if this was the cause.

Vastus medialis cramp is not uncommon in cyclists and is usually caused by lack of conditioning, muscle imbalance and/or bike fit.

Your vastus lateralis is probably too tight and your Vastus Medailis a bit weak (this is common in most individuals). I would also be willing to bet that your Psoas and Glutes are not firing as they should and you are therefore overloading your quads.

There are various, quite simple, ways to fix the issue, in terms of treatment, exercise and bike fit.

I am not going to advertise here, but I am able to help you in all areas, so send me a PM if you need some assistance.