Spinning Bikes Advice Please...

Hi All

Im still new on the forum so mods move this post if it is in the wrong place..

So I started training for the Crater Cruise on the 12th of Oct (half Marathon). I dont have time except on weekends to get on my bike and ride so I stared spinning on a friends bike at my house. The rewards thus far from spinning is worth it !

I am interested buying my onw spinning bike but not sure what to look for in a bike what is good and what is not and how much is enough to pay ?

Any advice please...

Thanks

If you have time to spin then surely you have time to ride.... even if it's round the block for 45 minutes then hell, ride.

Other option: real bike + trainer. That way you don't feel a bit like a horny guy phoning a sex line. You're getting a little something that is real. ;)

If you got to go the spinning bike route (the other probably better option would be an indoor trainer [iDT] that you use your bicycle on), then make sure the spinning bike can be adjusted to the same measurements as your real bicycle.

In other words the following adjustments can be made:

Seat - front / back and height

Handle bars - front / back and height

NB: Adjustments should be available in very small increments (millimeters) and not only in large amounts (centimeters) like with the locating pin type adjustment found on some spinning bikes.

If you have time to spin then surely you have time to ride.... even if it's round the block for 45 minutes then hell, ride.

Other option: real bike + trainer. That way you don't feel a bit like a horny guy phoning a sex line. You're getting a little something that is real. ;)

i spin from 9:30 pm onwards... Dont ride my bike that time of night in the winter .. Brrrr....

If you got to go the spinning bike route (the other probably better option would be an indoor trainer [iDT] that you use your bicycle on), then make sure the spinning bike can be adjusted to the same measurements as your real bicycle.

In other words the following adjustments can be made:

Seat - front / back and height

Handle bars - front / back and height

NB: Adjustments should be available in very small increments (millimeters) and not only in large amounts (centimeters) like with the locating pin type adjustment found on some spinning bikes.

Thanks for this info.. Will go and have a look at the indoor trainers ! The current bike I have the adjusments are large so thanks!

I have my spin bike set up with even the same saddle as my MTB, and with the dimensions being equal it feels like I am sitting on my MTB.

I'd also recommend a spinning bike above an IDT.

I've got both a and very rarely use the IDT, just because it's so much easier to use the spinning bike. The IDT route also means more wear on your bike, tyres and components, whereas the spinning bike is meant to be ridden for hours at a time.

My setup is close to my road bike, but not precisely. I have multiple bikes and trying to set something up to perfectly match the feel of a specific bike is almost impossible.

You can buy a spinning bike second hand on Gumtree for less than R2000. I paid R1000 for mine with a 20kg flyweight and it works perfectly. Newer models can run anything up to R10 000 second hand.