Tokai Safety

RaeTrewBrowne

Aweh!!

I am keen to make the great trek from the Northern Suburbs to the Southern Suburbs next week Monday to ride Tokai / Silvermine.

Anyone know if there has been further "incidents" there, should I stay away or wing it? Looking at going mid morning.

Thanks for the assistance!

Emo out

It's fine, dude. The okes have been apprehended, and it's quite safe.

The area that the guys were riding is out of commission now thanks to the excessive rain anyhow, and it was the most remote section of the mountain.

I go there alone reasonably often and have never felt unsafe.

It's fine, dude. The okes have been apprehended, and it's quite safe.

The area that the guys were riding is out of commission now thanks to the excessive rain anyhow, and it was the most remote section of the mountain.

I go there alone reasonably often and have never felt unsafe.

Epic!! thanks dude :thumbup:

Watch out for the gnomes in fairy garden.

No, seriously, be careful in Tokai, especially after the amount of rain that is pouring down at the moment. The track you've known like the back of your hand can change dramatically overnight. Best is to ride up the (legal) single track so you can see what changed, before bombing down and finding that a pavement roll is suddenly a hip high drop.

Tokai mid morning during the week is a beautiful thing. It's possible to not see another person your whole ride.

I feel safe there. Just keep an eye out as you would anywhere else in this exciting country.

My only concern is my car but that can be parked at the shopping centre just up the road, if the Tokai car park is looking sketchy or the baboons are around.

Edited by Nick.

I've given up fighting erosion and the the rain until it backs off and the water level in the mountain subsides. It is getting just plain ridiculous! Bring a lifejacket emo..

I've given up fighting erosion and the the rain until it backs off and the water level in the mountain subsides. It is getting just plain ridiculous! Bring a lifejacket emo..

Singletrack should be closed in very wet conditions, it gets trashed so quickly, sad to see the condition of some of the trails in tokai, keep us posted for the repair days, will make a plan to come and help out.

kiff thanks everyone, will prob stick to Jeep track and head up Noordhoek Peak side if it doesnt pour with rain :eek:

Jeeptrack?! Don't kid!

I've been engaging 4x4 for the last two weeks just to get passed Fairie Garden. Cape Pine grading the roads in the rain has really made a right mess of the JT! Sorry, this is two weeks of frustration surfacing.. The grader driver just shook his head and said, "the boss won't listen".

Actually, yesterday I saw 4 brave guys take on the challenge of a night ride, this just after the bakkie slid sideways for at least 10m. I could only laugh as they rode passed, I knew what was around the corner, axel deep mud - the black stuff!!

Jeeptrack?! Don't kid!

I've been engaging 4x4 for the last two weeks just to get passed Fairie Garden. Cape Pine grading the roads in the rain has really made a right mess of the JT! Sorry, this is two weeks of frustration surfacing.. The grader driver just shook his head and said, "the boss won't listen".

Actually, yesterday I saw 4 brave guys take on the challenge of a night ride, this just after the bakkie slid sideways for at least 10m. I could only laugh as they rode passed, I knew what was around the corner, axel deep mud - the black stuff!!

sjoe it sounds like im gona have a serious adventure :clap:

sjoe it sounds like im gona have a serious adventure :clap:

This is the time of year when you should put the KNOBBLIES on the mtb!

Tuesday was very rideable, the single track had had some noticeable irrigation work done since my last ride. Big thanks to those responsible!

However, after today's rain, I'd be surprised if there's still a mountain left behind...

Edited by Nick.