Syncros wheels

Tjokkits

I am looking at the scott spark 900' see they come with syncros wheels, i cant find much info or reviews anybody with some comments on them?

Edited by Tjokkits

Syncros as supplied on Scott bikes are just re branded Alexrims. A far cry from the wheels before syncros was sold from Ritchey to Scott

Nope! As far as i know, they are DT Swiss wheels! SYNCROS is just the branding Scott gave the components as the handlebar, seatpost, saddle and wheels are branded SYNCROS! Go look closely at the wheels and you will see what model DT Swiss they are! Could also be wrong, replaced mine with Eastons!

I think the lower specced Scotts come out with the rebranded Alexrims. I've heard and seen some horror stories of those. Even the more expensive Scotts are notorious for coming out with poor quality wheel. The general view (from what I've seen and done) is that the wheels are the first upgrade if you buy a Scott.

Just to put this in context, I ride a Scott, so not trying to knock the brand. Their bikes are great, but their standard wheels are not.

They differ per bike range. Some has Alex, some has DT Swiss. You can look at the bike and it'll most likely be a visible decal on the wheel.

Loads of bad reviews on these wheels, however I have a Spark 950 and have had no issues with the wheels what so ever. I did upgrade after a year to stans rims, purely because I wanted sealed bearing hubs and got a techno lime green set of superstars on the hub that matched the color of the rest of the bike. The only negatives i really experienced was that a ghetto tubeless conversion with insulation tape was very difficult on the Syncros rims due to the deep dish, I had to go buy stans tape which worked like a charm! The wheels are also not the lightest, if you can afford the upgrade - go for it allthough not a necessity it is money well spent!

I recently replaced the Syncros (ALEX) wheels on my 940 - with some Ritchey WCS. I'm usually loath to comment on whether you can actually feel an upgrade but in this case you really can. The Ritchey's are way stiffer, at least 500g lighter and just roll so much better. And I'm a lot more confident with the hubs - both the hubs on the Syncros wheels were those unbranded Shimano Malaysia jobs......

Syncros has some interesting history.

Syncros is a brand of bicycle components, with an emphasis on off-road bicycle parts. Founded by Peter Hamilton and Pippin Osborne in 1986 and originally based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Syncros had its heyday in the early 1990s as one of the most respected names in high end off-road bicycle parts, when its trademark black stems and seatposts were de rigueur on high end mountain bikes. In the late 1990s, the company had financial difficulties and was sold to the large U.S. based bicycle company GT. Shortly thereafter, GT itself was purchased by Schwinn, which in turn was purchased by Pacific Bicycle Group, a large Taiwanese conglomerate known mainly for low end, mass market bicycles and parts. Pacific was quick to try to capitalize on the Syncros brand name, and used the Syncros label on many cheaply produced OEM parts, severely damaging the brand's reputation. Due to a lapse in trademark registration in the early 2000s, the Syncros brand name was briefly grabbed in the UK by Super Cycles of Nottingham. However, a settlement was reached between Super Cycles and Pacific, resulting in Pacific regaining control of the brand name.

Among Syncros' most successful and well known products from their early Canadian period were the Cattleprod and Cattlehead stems, noted for their innovative used of shaped and machined aluminum and titanium at a time when most welded stems were made of steel, and the ProSeries seatpost, featuring an often-copied two-bolt micro-adjust system for saddle positioning. The seat post design, as copied by such companies as Thomson, remains popular today on high end bicycles.

Syncros was purchased in 2003 from Pacific by Tom Ritchey, who re-established the brand with Marshall Cant, former Product Manager at Rocky Mountain Bicycles, in the position of Brand Manager. Under the guidance of Tom Ritchey, Syncros has returned to its roots as a leading designer and manufacturer of high end mountain bike components. The original micro adjust 2 bolt seatpost is still manufactured but is the only original product still in the line up.

In January 2012, Syncros was purchased by Scott Sports.