You're going to kill someone

jcza

Then you've certainly seen me. While I do my best to hide in the yellow line, I've found that often the best form of defense is to be an obstacle.

With pedestrians, bulldozers, tractors transporting grapes, the traffic turning into Technopark, broken bottles and other obstacles in the yellow line I've found it safer to ride to the right of the yellow line and become part of traffic.

If the yellow line exists for cyclists, then why are there so many situations where that is the last place I feel safe. As mentioned, the turn off into Technopark, the left turn on the R44 at the Lord Charles - here, cars invade the yellow line like it is another lane leaving little or space for any other road users.

I've also found that a little wave to so thank you for not riding over me can go a long way - being friendly to motorists seems to disarm any animosity there might be, and the frustration of being 20 seconds late because they were considerate towards me is quickly forgotten.

And then to do the same thing when I am driving - give cyclists a gap. Set the example for other road users.

we cannot all pedal our bicycles at 50km/hr ... :ph34r:

Did a road ride to the Cradle yesterday from Broadacres, many cars with bikes on the back passed us while we were going out, many more passed on the way back presumably returning from D2D, NOT 1 of these cyclist/drivers gave us space never mind 1.5m. :thumbdown:

I also don't think many people are aware that if you can't pass a cyclist without giving them a gap because of oncoming traffic then you need to wait til it is safe.

Sad that if cyclists aren't looking out for other cyclists then we don't stand a chance of the normal man in the street doing it.

I do not ride in the yellow line.Thats where all the glass and little bits of wire are :thumbdown:

Just to the right of it

And for the reasons that Velouria stated :thumbup:

Then you've certainly seen me. While I do my best to hide in the yellow line, I've found that often the best form of defense is to be an obstacle.

With pedestrians, bulldozers, tractors transporting grapes, the traffic turning into Technopark, broken bottles and other obstacles in the yellow line I've found it safer to ride to the right of the yellow line and become part of traffic.

If the yellow line exists for cyclists, then why are there so many situations where that is the last place I feel safe. As mentioned, the turn off into Technopark, the left turn on the R44 at the Lord Charles - here, cars invade the yellow line like it is another lane leaving little or space for any other road users.

I've also found that a little wave to so thank you for not riding over me can go a long way - being friendly to motorists seems to disarm any animosity there might be, and the frustration of being 20 seconds late because they were considerate towards me is quickly forgotten.

And then to do the same thing when I am driving - give cyclists a gap. Set the example for other road users.

I hear / see that a lot from local cyclists here in switz.... while it seems logical and makes sense there can be bizarre situations:

Tragically on Saturday I came upon an accident involving a car, motorcycle and cyclist. The car was overtaking the cyclist and moved over onto the other side of the road (on a section with a dotted white line and speed limit of 80kmh), a motorcyclist approaching from the other side (partial blind corner) had to slam on brakes and take avoiding action loosing control and hitting a traffic sign pole on the side of the road, he died of his injuries on site.

The real tragedy is this section of road has a wide pavement separate from the normal road for cyclists to use and if the cyclist was using it the car would not have had to move over to safely pass (Safely passing here means +1m gap away from the cyclist).

NIce article posted by the OP, must remember that bit about motorists saying they pay to use the road and bicycles don't for the next cyclist vs motorist argument ^_^

I see tractors regularly towing portable loo's these days. I laugh every time.

Yes, I get your point. And as another person mentioned, all the nasty stuff is in the yellow lane.

I ask you this: When you cycle out the lane (to the right), do you have a quick look over your shoulder to check for traffic screaming up your rear? Because a lot of the time it appears (to me at least) that cyclists just shoot around without looking. I'm scared of riding on the road, so I'm always triple checking whenever I do something. And I normally slow down when doing so because one's direction goes out the window when looking back.

Yes, a thank you goes a long way.

If you make a point to make room for a motorcyclist (like when stopped at a robot. Lane splitting is NOT illegal for those wondering), and it's for a 'proper' bike i.e. not someone on their Vuka, chances are you'll get a nod or wave of thanks. And it's SUCH an awesome feeling!

Hi there,

What bike do you ride, and what colours do you normally wear? Will keep an eye out.

------------------------------

Did a road ride to the Cradle yesterday from Broadacres, many cars with bikes on the back passed us while we were going out, many more passed on the way back presumably returning from D2D, NOT 1 of these cyclist/drivers gave us space never mind 1.5m. :thumbdown:

I also don't think many people are aware that if you can't pass a cyclist without giving them a gap because of oncoming traffic then you need to wait til it is safe.

Sad that if cyclists aren't looking out for other cyclists then we don't stand a chance of the normal man in the street doing it.

I find the same thing in the Cape. The fancy cars (normally SUV's-type things) with the bike racks kitted out with the Cannondales and other flashy toys, are the ones that go screaming past at 140km/h in a 100km/h zone, cutting people off, with their headlights off (in poor-visbility), and driving with no regard to their safety, or the safety of others.

Simple solution: Its called Mountain Biking. Cars struggle to get me on the single track

Watch out for queer giraffes