Bicycling 24HR & 6HR - 7th and 8th December

LensMan

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24. :thumbup:

Beer, bike, tools. In that order. Take a tent and a skottel braai if you plan on cooking. I just pack for a notmal camping trip and take my bike stuff along. It's AWESOME!! You are going to dig it!

Take enough variations in food and drink. Some called flavour fatigue is a horrible thing where you simply can't stand sweet or savoury food after a while.

Last year I packed a variation of Woolies quick foods like the mini vetkoeks, burgers, nut & raisin bars, jelly beans, gummy bears, etc. Also take a protein shake and some of your favourite energy drink in various flavours. Drinking berry flavour for 24 hours is a horrible thing.

Make sure you take at least 2 sets of riding shorts, wet wipes makes for an instant shower between rides unless you use the showers they provide. Take 5 pairs of socks and enough dry clothes. It might rain like last year and riding in wet socks suck!

Spare batteries, chargers etc for your lights is a given.

Spares for your bike, tubes, chain and the basic tools you will need as if you are on a long ride.

Tent, mattress, bedding etc is a given.

Eat regularly even if you aren't hungry. The body reacts in a strange way when pushed for this long. Stay hydrated as well as you can. Drink more than you think you need.

Take a massive sense of humour. You will need it in the middle of night or when you can't really sit anymore. haha. It is the best race of the year and you will have a lot of fun.

With the down pour today in Pretoria, weather will be a consideration for the 24 hour. Possible 65% for heavy rain at Harties over the weekend. Decisions, decisions....?

Laas jaar se weer was ook nou nie te erg nie was bewolk en nogal koud, maar was lekker, wonder hoe dit hierde jaar gaan lyk? Ek sien baie uit!

Whether you do 1 lap or a 100 laps, this is the best event of the year!

Yeah, food issues last year and yes it wasn't the organizers to blame, but I'm not fussed... I take my own with me anyway.

The route will be the same again, and that's AWESOME!!!! because it's brilliant! and as you ride at different times with different lighting it changes too, so it never gets boring.

Best time of the day to ride IMO is the dawn one... start when it's still mostly dark and finish the lap as the sun's rising...

second best is what I call VG's golden hour.... IF the sun's out at that time and not being smothered by clouds.... round 5pm, the colours in and around the river trail are amazing!!

See you all there!!!

PS takes lots of pics and add them to the VG Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/VanGaalenMountainBikingTrails

Whether you do 1 lap or a 100 laps, this is the best event of the year!

Yeah, food issues last year and yes it wasn't the organizers to blame, but I'm not fussed... I take my own with me anyway.

The route will be the same again, and that's AWESOME!!!! because it's brilliant! and as you ride at different times with different lighting it changes too, so it never gets boring.

Best time of the day to ride IMO is the dawn one... start when it's still mostly dark and finish the lap as the sun's rising...

second best is what I call VG's golden hour.... IF the sun's out at that time and not being smothered by clouds.... round 5pm, the colours in and around the river trail are amazing!!

See you all there!!!

PS takes lots of pics and add them to the VG Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/VanGaalenMountainBikingTrails

Amen brobeans! Amen! My only race/social event of the year almost every year.