Unlucky start for George

splat

By Shane Stokes (ww.cyclingnews.com)

Tour de Langkawi winner David George is currently riding his second Vuelta, having participated in the race before during his time with US Postal. He's glad to be riding the race with his Relax-Gam team, but as he told Cyclingnews at the stage three finish in Almendralejo, luck hasn't really been on his side thus far

"I crashed yesterday and have had four punctures, including one in the time trial. The crash happened when I slipped going around a roundabout, I lost traction. Today was very hot and long?a survival day, I guess. My legs are all right, I am taking it easy after my fall, just riding myself into it.

"I am going to take things day by day. I will see if I can get up there at some point?obviously I would like to do one or two good stages."

George said there might be some surprises, presumably referring to the fallout of the scandals earlier this summer. "Everything is changing in the sport?who knows how the race will turn out?" he said.

"I crashed yesterday and have had four punctures' date=' including one in the time trial.

[/quote']

Can life get any worse?

I noticed he lost time i the TTT but he's lost no time on the road stages.....

very cool to have 2 saffa's in a grand tour....

Unless I'm wrong, I'd like to know when Robbie Hunter is going to do something in the Tour of Britain. There's only four stages left!

Or is it a case he doesn't have to do anything because he's got something lined up already? For his sake, I hope so. I think Robbie had one of his best years ever in Europe, but if there's nothing in the pipeline after Phonak's decision, I'd be worried.

At least David George is moving up the ladder since his bad luck during the initial stages of the Vuelta and he should be OK for another season or two.

yesterday's stage:

83 David George (RSA) Relax-Gam @ 15:45                                           

96 Ian Mcleod (RSA) Fran?aise des Jeux @ 22:10                                     

Or is it a case he doesn't have to do anything because he's got something lined up already? For his sake' date=' I hope so. I think Robbie had one of his best years ever in Europe, but if there's nothing in the pipeline after Phonak's decision, I'd be worried.

[/quote']

from Hunter's website...

27.08.2006 22:16
By the way still no news on teams but im still confident it will happen soon.

Unless I'm wrong' date=' I'd like to know when Robbie Hunter is going to do something in the Tour of Britain. There's only four stages left!

[/quote']

Perhaps he is saving his legs for another stage?

Stage 2 result - 51 Robert Hunter (RSA) Phonak iShares (group finish).

Overall : 64th @ 2.54

Very possible and for his sake I hope he does. But I'll be very nervous if I was him without a hint of a possible contract at this stage of the season.

I agree, but you've got to remember sponsors are looking for individuals who're making headlines (eventually).

VDB made headlines because of the fact what he did: (carrying a false identity with Boonen's picture etc) and a host of other things.

They way he conducted himself was not ethical, but he will get a lot of publicity for his sponsor next year.

On the other hand (Naas Botha's words) to give him a contract for 2007 might be very risky.

Phonak's involvement from Switzerland since they started sponsoring the Phonak team, grew to something like 60%.

Cycling is good. But get into the game at the right time and get out of it at the right time.

It's just a pity that an individual can topple the apple cart. Landis's positive test put (at least) nine riders out of a contract. Unfair. iShares was supposed to take over the sponsorship. What happened?

I think if Robert Hunter and his team mates want to contest this issue, they'll succeed.

iShares was already named as the next sponsor. After the TdF debacle they suddenly pulled out?

Please? You can't leave plus/minus 23 guys high and dry for the sake of rumours.

REMEMBER, LANDIS HAS NOT BEEN PROVED GUILTY YET. SAME AS BASSO AND ULLRICH. 

Robbie packed it in today, after a 100 odd km's...they are all treating it as a holiday before the Tour of Poland...Boonen finished alone a minute down on a sleepy bunch.