result of doping scandals over the past two years, organisers confirmed

on Wednesday.

ASO (Amaury Sport Organisation) said that given "the damage

caused by this team to the Tour de France and cycling in general, as

much in 2006 as 2007" they had decided to prevent Astana from competing

in any of their races.

As well as Spaniard Contador the decision also effects

American Levi Leipheimer, who finished third last year, and Germany's

Andreas Kloden, widely considered as one of the race favourites.

The Luxembourg-registered Kazakh team were forced to withdraw

from the 2007 Tour de France and were snubbed by the Spanish Vuelta in

September after a string of doping scandals.

The team's former leader Alexandre Vinokourov was fired after

testing positive for a blood transfusion during the Tour, while riders

Andrej Kashechkin and Matthias Kessler also failed doping tests.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew it would happen. I couldn't be happier. I feel that this is justified and needs to happen to the begin weeding out

I think this is a bit stupid ! Hasnt management changed as well as alot of additional riders who rode for other big teams?.  This means that despite all the changes the team has made to better it ,it is still barred ?

How was the changes better, Johan Bruyneel & Discovery was one of the dirtiest teams in the history of cycling!!!!

Now the dirtbag homself is heading up Astana with his Discovery Dopers!!!!

ASO aint Stupid!!!!

Johan Bruyneel & Discovery- I would agree there, however They never got caught(stand to be corrected), however their unofficial repuatation never got them barred from competitions. So on paper the Johan Bruyneel & Discovery connection is clean one (again i stand to be corrected).

Their riders got caught when they moved to other teams not on USP or Disc.

How was the changes better' date=' Johan Bruyneel & Discovery was one of the dirtiest teams in the history of cycling!!!!

ASO aint Stupid!!!!

[/quote']

You hit the nail on the head Cruxie. It is about we see some fresh teams get the chance. I don't think this will end at Astana however.

The timing couldn't have been better from a Barloworld perspective either Thumbs%20Up

Yep, but the ASO, as race organiser, also saw that all of the Discovery riders test results were NEVER clean, but just off the limit to be declared a positive result, and therefore know that they were riding dirty, thus knowing the modus operandi of the Team and their Dirty Manager

So why would it be any different at another team, especially if the team they went to is nearly as dirty as they were, just more stupid (enough) to get caught with their hand in the cookie jar/blood bin!!!!

They have barred Astana for all races belonging to ASO this year, they have indicated that they will watch Astan in 2008 with a view to an invite to their races in 2009. They are blaming 2 years of damage to the tour de france. Contador is involved in the Puerto affair, Kloden in the Telekom / T-Mobile systematic doping, Levi with the whole US Postal Landis, Hamilton, Heras and Lance(did he or didn't he?) thing...there is no way ASO will take a chance on a further tainted tour. Way to risky. I say bugger the politics let's hope for a brilliant races where they sprint on the flats, suffer in the TT's and attack like crazy on the climbs...viva le tour.

With all these cheats, it seems to me that everyone wants to be bigger than the race! Bigger than the sport. What knobs!

Yep' date=' but the ASO, as race organiser, also saw that all of the Discovery riders test results were NEVER clean, but just off the limit to be declared a positive result, and therefore know that they were riding dirty, thus knowing the modus operandi of the Team and their Dirty Manager

So why would it be any different at another team, especially if the team they went to is nearly as dirty as they were, just more stupid (enough) to get caught with their hand in the cookie jar/blood bin!!!!
[/quote'] Agreed ....With a USD30m pa budget one could enjoy the costs of science and sail damn close to the wind!! No??

Slight Hi-jack...

Amazing how some poepals can lie with a straight face.

Just seen an interesting debate on CNN covering a US Congressional hearing on dopers in baseball.

The scene:

Coach and player both sitting at the same table in front of press and house members.

Coach: I injected him (Clemens) more times than I can remember with steroids...

Clemens: I have never taken any illegal substances....

I swear....some a holes look like this

http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/02/13/steroids.baseball/art.swearingin.ap.jpg

How was the changes better' date=' Johan Bruyneel & Discovery was one of the dirtiest teams in the history of cycling!!!!

ASO aint Stupid!!!!

[/quote']

Never thought I would say this, but Cruxie, I had to re-read your posting because I did not expect this from you.

You have any proof ?

and therefore know that they were riding dirty' date='![/quote']

made me think of chamilionaire's song:

They see me rollin'
They hatin patrollin and tryn catch me ridin dirty
Tryna catch me ridin dirty
My music so loud I'm swangin
They hopin' that they gone catch me ridin dirty
Tryna catch me ridin dirty

ASO aint Stupid!!!!

[/quote']

Never thought I would say this, but Cruxie, I had to re-read your posting because I did not expect this from you.

You have any proof ?

The signs have definately been there to be read. As Cruxie has said, the ASO knows about all the goings on that occur, however due to clever masking abilities, knowing when to take what so not to get caught etc, USPS/Disco have been able to dance around the tests.

The stringent rules that dictate a positive test also allows athletes to bend the rules as such. The body has many ways to show whether someone is abusing drugs, however if nothing comes up to what the guidelines suggest or if proper procedure is not followed, the tests can't be deemed conclusive.

NOTE: Armstrong has tested positive for Cortisone, if I remember correctly, but he conveniently had a Dr's note...

Yep' date=' but the ASO, as race organiser,?also saw that all of the Discovery riders test results were?NEVER clean, but just off the limit to be declared a positive result, and therefore know that they were riding dirty, thus knowing the modus operandi of the Team and their Dirty Manager

So?why would?it be any different at another team, especially if the team they went to is nearly as dirty as they were, just more stupid (enough)?to?get caught with their hand in the cookie jar/blood bin!!!!
[/quote']

But based on that mind frame surely all teams should be banned ? They all push the limits as was mentioned teams such as RaboBank also had their fair share of controvosery(spelling) and bad publicity. How come Rabobank got invited then ? Their teamleader(then) was also in doping scandel ?

But i tend to agree with the team not having good rep but to be excluded with a whole new management that has never tested positive is not quite fair and to include other teams who also brought the sports name in dispute

Pushing the limits is what the sport is all about. How many of the guys here would race with a bike under 6.8KG because they could get away with it .