2 Oceans Ultra after IMSA

ADe

My wife and I are planning our leave and race schedule for next year and I would like to do the 2 Oceans Ultra, but I see it is two weeks after IMSA. Would two weeks be enough recovery time to be ready for the 2 Oceans? This will be my first IM distance, so I am not sure how recovery will go.

Depends on your overall fitness & race intensity in both events.

And your ability to recover.

Going full out?

Away from work to rest up at all?

Edited by ' Dale

I had some guys that did a 3 day trail run a week after IM 2 years ago (the 70km/hr wind year) and beat us

Edited by JGR

Depends on your overall fitness & race intensity in both events.

And your ability to recover.

Going full out?

Away from work to rest up at all?

IMSA I will be going as fast as I can to beat my goal time and 2 Oceans I am doing with my wife with no time in mind, just to finish.

You should wait 6 weeks between marathons to avoid injuries.Your immune system may also be shattered if they close together.

How long are they appart?

I contemplated this as well for a few moments until I realised that 2 weeks is never going to be enough to recover sufficiently from IM. That being said I would want to give both horns.

If you wife is quite a bit slower than you, you will probably be ok, but expect to feel like hell. Two Oceans is a tough run

42.2 kms > 14 days > 56 km

Just from a running point of view.

Notice here I refer to days instead of weeks to create a more realistic picture for recovery.

Hmmm

42.2 kms > 14 days > 56 km

Notice here I refer to days instead of weeks to create a more realistic picture for recovery.

Hmmm

That kind of puts it in perspective. BUT it sounds like such a great challenge...

You should wait 6 weeks between marathons to avoid injuries.Your immune system may also be shattered if they close together.

How long are they appart?

Ironman SA is on 6 April 2013 and 2 Oceans 56k on 19 April, so two weeks.

Edited by ADe

I have done it the other way around a couple of times - i.e. IMSA 2 weeks after 2Oceans - doable.

I think you will suffer more doing 2oceans after IMSA. It really depends what kind of runner you are.

Two ocecans is far but if you are training for the longer run then 2 weeks recovery is ok. no long runs or multiple runs during the recovery just a short run or two.

IMO

That kind of puts it in perspective. BUT it sounds like such a great challenge...

That excludes the 4 and a bit kay swim and 180 bike ride... :excl:

I guess you could do it if you're lucky and extremely fit.

Lucky in the sense that you don't get sick directly after the Ironman due to a broken down immune system.

Personally I wouldn't consider doing the 2 events so close to each other, unless my or someone else's life depended on it.

The full distance Ironman really takes a lot out of you and I wasn't close to being recovered 2 weeks after the event.

I also don't think you'd be able to do either event justice by giving it your all.

3.8 km / 180km / 42.2 kms > 14 days > 56 km

Hmmm

There, fixed it.

Doable,but do not be surprised if you get injured during or in the weeks after