Watch out for CJ 32166

GBguy

I know that road well, as my in-laws has a house in Kleinmond.

But To be honest, I only go as far as Rooiels, after that to Gordon's seems like suicide to me.

Beautifull road, but no shoulder and people are distracted by the view.

And I am surprised at how many people do cycle there, at all times of the day, in my view, Capetonian drivers are a bit more considerate, but I will not take the chance

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst times on that road is crayfish season, speeding bakkies with waggling trailers are double the danger!

Next up is weekends later in the morning, especially Sunday's - poisonous mix of motorbikes and sightseers.

As a club, we tend to ride it quite a bit when the wind is not strong. I'm never totally comfortable on it, but I love the ride and the views.

As a club, we tend to ride it quite a bit when the wind is not strong. I'm never totally comfortable on it, but I love the ride and the views.

Wannabe?

I'm used to cars coming close to me on the R44 between Gordon's Bay and Rooiels. It's a fairly narrow road, without much of an emergency lane. I'm also used to a few motorists driving way too fast on this winding road. Sometimes I get the sense they are just not aware how close they have come, and other times I get the feeling they are trying to "teach me a lesson" - although I have no idea what I'm supposed to learn, since I'm always as close to the edge of the road as I can safely be.

But today I had someone come so close, and so fast, that it really felt like he (or she) wanted to kill me. Well, it's not the first time that's happened, and I can think of worse ways to go than while doing the thing I love. But three things made this one special. The first is that there was no other traffic around, he (or she) would have seen me a long time before they passed, and at that point we had two lanes in our direction (climbing up Clarence Drive) - so no excuses about crossing a solid white line. It was just bloody mindedness.

The second thing is that I met up later with a mate who was riding some distance ahead of me, and he said he had just had a narrow miss from a white Isuzu bakkie. I hadn't described the vehicle (and actually didn't know it was an Isuzu at that point). He said there was plenty of space for the driver to overtake him, too. And he's also a regular on this road - yet this one stuck in his mind.

And the third thing is that it just so happened that I was trying out a RoadHawk Ride security camera (to write a road test on this forum, if I live that long), so I was able to relive this moment when I got home, and to bring it to y'all in living colour.

Please, if anyone knows this person, ask him (or her) not to do this. It's just a matter of time before he (or she) kills a cyclist, which is going to change quite a few lives - including their own - forever. And if they are trying to teach us a lesson, would they mind telling us what it is?

Did you take the pic? that looks quite fine to me, as on that road I expect to get my elbo grazed by the mirrors from time to time, and you had time to get you phone out and take a pic all with only one hand on the bar.

Did you take the pic? you had time to get you phone out and take a pic all with only one hand on the bar.

I think that these are stills from a mounted video camera

Did you take the pic? that looks quite fine to me, as on that road I expect to get my elbo grazed by the mirrors from time to time, and you had time to get you phone out and take a pic all with only one hand on the bar.

Read the OP - testing a video - these are obviously stills

Then we've often passed each other.

Quite possibly. I tend do the road rides in the week (Wednesday mornings) more often than weekends - although with DC training now upon us, I'm also out on road at weekend too

I must be honest, looking at the pics I see don't how the driver could have behaved differently without breaking the law.

It's a narrow road, with a solid white line. He was driving closer to the line than to the cyclist.

If he was speeding, then obviously that is a problem, but based on the photos alone, he was doing nothing wrong.

I must be honest, looking at the pics I see don't how the driver could have behaved differently without breaking the law.

It's a narrow road, with a solid white line. He was driving closer to the line than to the cyclist.

If he was speeding, then obviously that is a problem, but based on the photos alone, he was doing nothing wrong.

If there's a solid line, then he shouldn't be trying to overtake anyone - cyclist or whatever. If he did decide to try it, he should have given more room.

Agreed seems fine to me

No, it was a double lane in our direction, with a dotted white line. No traffic behind or in front. And yes, he was definitely speeding.

Is their any signs there like:

'Cyclists use this road - be alert'

Can't remember now when I last rolled there

There are signs up - several years ago the Wannabees campaigned for and got some signs erected on that route. The big shock was a few years later the speed limit on that road was increased to 80km/h.

I've ridden this road more times than I can recall, and I consider it to be on of the safer routes around. Because the road is so narrow, motorists are generally more aware and considerate of other road users, whether they're cyclists, motorbikers or baboons. I own the my section of road - I refuse to ride in the gutter, and generally stick about 1 meter from the edge. I'm courteous, and thank all cars that wait for me - nothing like a wave and a smile to disarm the grumpiest of drivers.

The onus is on us cyclists to give the motorists the same respect - no two abreast riding.

After all - we're all on that road for 1 main reason - it's one of the most beautiful roads in the Cape.

That being said - there will always be w@nkers, and good work on the OP for taking this action. Much like the hit and run out Milnerton way - maybe motorists will realise that we're not such soft targets after all.

I'm courteous, and thank all cars that wait for me - nothing like a wave and a smile to disarm the grumpiest of drivers.

The onus is on us cyclists to give the motorists the same respect - no two abreast riding.

After all - we're all on that road for 1 main reason - it's one of the most beautiful roads in the Cape.

:thumbup:

Just as important to take the time to thank those who do give us space

Archived