Cycle Tech - Shocking Service!!

Onewaz

I took my bike into Cycle Tech to have my rear brake made longer and it took a week and a half to get my bike back, which was not the real problem.

I took my bike in on Wednesday the 18th September and was told they have to ship the cable in from Cape Town and it would take 3 days, which did not bother me.

I then gave them a bit of grace, seeing that the next Tuesday was a holiday, and went Friday the following week to fetch my bike and was told the part had not arrived. Nobody called to say that there was a delay at all and then was told that there are 3 different fittings, blaming the guys down in Cape Town and that Shimano' service is better, so I thought don't get worked up and told the mechanic that I would come the next Monday.

I get there today and the brake is done but my computer is smashed! Greg the manager says "sorry for you but it was glued previously" and that he can sell me another computer at cost! At no stage was this ever mentioned, only when the guy brought my bike from the back when I went to collect my bike did they give my computer to me in pieces.

At no stage did I ask for a new computer, it's only around R400 which is nothing really but just the principal around not offering and then trying to say that it came to the shop like that is shocking!!

All left a very bad taste in my mouth and they will never see me there again!

What do you mean by "my rear brake made longer" ????? and why did you not remove the computer. Most shops will not even acknowledge the damage or take responsibility for that.

The cable for my rear brake and I suppose I have learnt a lesson here around taking off the computer but again the way it was handled was as if it was my fault.

I agree - went in there once and after about 20 minutes of walking around I went and stood at the counter. Two gentlemen stood behind the counter talking nonsense to each other not even looking at me. I then asked to see the owner / manager and a guy named Marco (one of the two behind the counter) said "It's me" not offering to help. I though it was extremely rude and said as much. The attitude did not change. They will never see me again.

Oh dear..

Took my front wheel in to have the bearings replaced. When I got it back it looked like they took a big moering tool, placed the wheel on a bench of sorts and beat the **** out of it to get the bearings out. The front hub has some lekker ding marks for added houding.

I was not impressed

Not much in the way of applogies..

Nice guys, good shop and all, but I have since found another home

The cable for my rear brake and I suppose I have learnt a lesson here around taking off the computer but again the way it was handled was as if it was my fault.

That is work you must learn to do yourself.

That is work you must learn to do yourself.

What will the happen to the bike mechanics then??

I have tried to bleed brakes before and it did not end well and I was also in a rush to get it done properly by "PRO's" before Mankele.

What will the happen to the bike mechanics then??

I have tried to bleed brakes before and it did not end well and I was also in a rush to get it done properly by "PRO's" before Mankele.

Well, for every rant there is a rave about another LBS.

Winner for today = Tool Up.

I must say that there are only 2 things I have not bothered learning to do, brake bleeding and fork service. I do them so infrequently that it doesn't pain me to pay the few shekels to my local UBS mech to do them for me .....

I have dealt with Marco for many years and cant say the same.

I have only had good service from him and his team.

Things happen I guess.

Hope they can make people happy as I have always been with them...

I had the same experience as Broker. Went into cycle tech to buy a TT bike, after standing around for 20 odd minutes I realised I was not going to get any service, even though I was the only customer in the store.

There are enough Bike shops in PTA and JHB to not have to put up with poor service.

I must say that there are only 2 things I have not bothered learning to do, brake bleeding and fork service. I do them so infrequently that it doesn't pain me to pay the few shekels to my local UBS mech to do them for me .....

So you do your own wheel building, BB facing and headset installation then? Seriously, brake bleeding must rank as one of the easiest tasks there is, on Shimano that is. I was scared of forks until I took mine apart and discovered how simple a full lube and seal service actually is.

Best of all, if you do it yourself the workmanship is guaranteed for life.

So you do your own wheel building, BB facing and headset installation then? Seriously, brake bleeding must rank as one of the easiest tasks there is, on Shimano that is. I was scared of forks until I took mine apart and discovered how simple a full lube and seal service actually is.

Best of all, if you do it yourself the workmanship is guaranteed for life.

...... you sometimes also pay real munny for your f-ups

Edited by Big H*

United Building Society...... did they not also become part of Barclays?????? ...... never knew they had a bike mechanic division as well??????