Fixing wheels Question

Ecko_1

Well in that case his quality control was not to good.

However, if you asked him to only put on the new cassette and he did not charge you, he probably feels he did you a favour.

If you asked him to fit a cassette and set the gears, well different story.

And no people, don't simply assume that because the bike is on his work stand it is by logic that he has to look at everything on the bike.

He offered to fit the new cassette and chain (I was going to go home and do it myself, but being a noob shop fitment was preferable). I asked him to check the derailler, as I was concerned that shifting might be affected by the new smaller ratios.

I am definitely gonna take up the poor control with the owner (unlikely that he actually did the work). But not gonna fight to pay R100 to fix.

Will make sure the hanger is straight as well. And will never ignore strange noises/feelings again.

I am more upset that my morning ride was cut short. I am really weak on the hills and was enjoying going up and down the hills this morning.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW thanks for all the info here guys. As usual, the Hub is a source of useful info once you look past the BS that sometimes lands up in threads.

I know that the LBS was at fault here for not setting the derailler limits. Will address this with the owner.

BTW thanks for all the info here guys. As usual, the Hub is a source of useful info once you look past the BS that sometimes lands up in threads.

I know that the LBS was at fault here for not setting the derailler limits. Will address this with the owner.

If he does you favours all the time by not charging for his time, try and make it as diplomatic as possible.

If he does you favours all the time by not charging for his time, try and make it as diplomatic as possible.

I have a good relationship with him. Dont want to ruin it, and he probably doesnt want to lose a loyal customer either.

I have a good relationship with him. Dont want to ruin it, and he probably doesnt want to lose a loyal customer either.

Yip :thumbup:

Do you remember Forrest Gump ?

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs18/f/2007/145/9/a/Shit_Happens_by_alva69.jpg

3. Find a new mechanic. If the limit screws were set correctly, this would never have happened.

Not yet. Everyone's entitled to the odd mistake, just make right and don't make the same one again. If it happens repeatedly then yes, a new one is in order.

Not yet. Everyone's entitled to the odd mistake, just make right and don't make the same one again. If it happens repeatedly then yes, a new one is in order.

Makes it sound like you can walk into a store and pick one off the shelf. :lol:

You wont believe how often we get bikes in where the owner assaulted the limit screws themselves.

And no people, don't simply assume that because the bike is on his work stand it is by logic that he has to look at everything on the bike.

True story. In my case though, I don't work on a dirty bike, so every bike that comes through my shop gets a wash and lube. Most niggles will present themselves in the process.

Makes it sound like you can walk into a store and pick one off the shelf. :lol:

You can, you've just got to find the right shop...

He offered to fit the new cassette and chain (I was going to go home and do it myself, but being a noob shop fitment was preferable). I asked him to check the derailler, as I was concerned that shifting might be affected by the new smaller ratios.

I am definitely gonna take up the poor control with the owner (unlikely that he actually did the work). But not gonna fight to pay R100 to fix.

Will make sure the hanger is straight as well. And will never ignore strange noises/feelings again.

I am more upset that my morning ride was cut short. I am really weak on the hills and was enjoying going up and down the hills this morning.

Do you have an indoor trainer? If so, I can send you a really mean IDT set which will really sort out your hill weakness.....

Do you have an indoor trainer? If so, I can send you a really mean IDT set which will really sort out your hill weakness.....

Nope, no IDT. Im a noob. Still building up my kit/equipment for actual riding.

Dropped the bike at the LBS this morning before work. Described what happened to the owner. He said he can fix today. When I enquired about cost he said just come pick the bike up after work. So bike will be ready after work and I will head to the LBS for a beer.

Dropped the bike at the LBS this morning before work. Described what happened to the owner. He said he can fix today. When I enquired about cost he said just come pick the bike up after work. So bike will be ready after work and I will head to the LBS for a beer.

Glad to hear.

Something that you can do in future which I do. After you get the bike and before you ride it just go over the bike yourself. Check the shifting, the brakes etc. Just to be sure it is all working. Takes 5-10 minutes and can save lots of headaches. Just because you are so close to your LBS still check it out as the owner is probably not the one who works on your bike and has some employee that does the actual work who isn't as "close" to you.