Fox fork and oil amount for lower legs

Mojoman

So I did the 15hr lower service for my Fox forks and I see for the second time my foam rings on the lowers are looking dry and manky, gave them a good clean and relubed but how much oil should I now put into the lower legs before assembly? Seems to be anywhere form 5ml onwards, I used 5ml last time but it seems as though its not enough to keep those foam rings full of oil?

Man, I am starting to miss my RS Reba now....!

Forgot to mention its a F32RL

Edited by Mojoman

So I did the 15hr lower service for my Fox forks and I see for the second time my foam rings on the lowers are looking dry and manky, gave them a good clean and relubed but how much oil should I now put into the lower legs before assembly? Seems to be anywhere form 5ml onwards, I used 5ml last time but it seems as though its not enough to keep those foam rings full of oil?

Man, I am starting to miss my RS Reba now....!

Forgot to mention its a F32RL

Hi Mojoman

Please find attached guide for oil levels.(as taken from the Fox site)

8) 2002-2009 F100 & F90

(O/B R, RL, RLC, RLT & Remote dampers)

FOX Green 10 wt. Damper-side oil bath 155.0 ml Spring-side oil bath 20.0 ml

FOX Float Fluid Air Chamber 5.0 ml

Hope this works.

Also have you presoaked the foam rings?

Hi Mojoman

Please find attached guide for oil levels.(as taken from the Fox site)

8) 2002-2009 F100 & F90

(O/B R, RL, RLC, RLT & Remote dampers)

FOX Green 10 wt. Damper-side oil bath 155.0 ml Spring-side oil bath 20.0 ml

FOX Float Fluid Air Chamber 5.0 ml

Hope this works.

Also have you presoaked the foam rings?

Thanks, how much oil then goes into the lowers to lube those foam rings? This site mentions 30ml.

Thanks, how much oil then goes into the lowers to lube those foam rings? This site mentions 30ml.

I use the volumes as above, but I substitute the FOX Green 10 wt. Damper-side oil bath 155.0 ml with Motul 10W fork oil.

The top of the air side gets 5ml Float fluid, and the foam rings get soaked in Float fluid.

Mojo, you don't add oil/fluid unless you're doing a full service (ie. new fluids and seals).

For the "mini service" (ie. pulling up the dust wipers and cleaning the foam rings) you just re-soak the rings. No adding stuffs.

I'd say mini service after 1000km, new oil & rings/seals every 2000km should keep your Fox in tip top shape.

If your foam rings are manky it means you need new seals. You also don't say which damper's in there, which will make a big difference to the amount and type of oil.

FIT damper - 20ml green in each leg. You can also use fully synthetic 10wt motor oil.

Open bath RL damper - what Cyclosport said.

Shout if there's anything else you need...

EDIT: If you're just pulling up seals and resoaking the rings, don't bother. Rather turn the bike upside down, it does the same thing.

Edited by droo

If your foam rings are manky it means you need new seals. You also don't say which damper's in there, which will make a big difference to the amount and type of oil.

FIT damper - 20ml green in each leg. You can also use fully synthetic 10wt motor oil.

Open bath RL damper - what Cyclosport said.

Shout if there's anything else you need...

EDIT: If you're just pulling up seals and resoaking the rings, don't bother. Rather turn the bike upside down, it does the same thing.

The bike is less than a month old so I would think the seals are fine?

The fork is :

Fox 32 F125RL FIT w/ 15QR Thru Axle and Tapered Steerer, 125mm Travel

I used this article to do the lower service:

http://www.cyclistno...eal-service.htm

Cool. That's the way it should be done, and is a good idea on Fox forks. 15 hours is a bit excessive though, you'll keep oil companies in business like that. 50 hours should be fine, then do the damper every 100.

Oil volumes are 20ml in each leg, Fox green or synthetic 10wt motor oil.

As for the seals, if the foam rings look muddy your seals are letting muck in. Muck eats stanchions. I can post pics, but they're not pretty. Replace before you have to fork out 3.5k odd for new stanchions and bushings, and avoid pressure washers and hosepipes.

Cool. That's the way it should be done, and is a good idea on Fox forks. 15 hours is a bit excessive though, you'll keep oil companies in business like that. 50 hours should be fine, then do the damper every 100.

Oil volumes are 20ml in each leg, Fox green or synthetic 10wt motor oil.

As for the seals, if the foam rings look muddy your seals are letting muck in. Muck eats stanchions. I can post pics, but they're not pretty. Replace before you have to fork out 3.5k odd for new stanchions and bushings, and avoid pressure washers and hosepipes.

Thanks, the rings didnt look muddy, more like dry with some black areas to them. Can I used 10wt fork oil for a motorbike or does it need to be engine oil?

Synthetic manual transmission oil works great in the open bath...

Store your bike upside down one night per week so some oil can seep through to the foam rings - you'll never have dry foam rings.

Synthetic manual transmission oil works great in the open bath...

Store your bike upside down one night per week so some oil can seep through to the foam rings - you'll never have dry foam rings.

In the air spring in place of float fluid, yes. Use transmission oil in a damper and you'll turn your fork into a plank.

Sorry, mini hijack question for Droo.

I just realised that i put 15w fork oil in the damper side of my RS Reba (29,RLT,Motion Control) where the manual calls for 5w, is this going to be a major issue? i.e. dont ride until its drained and replaced or is it ok to ride and replace at a later stage?

Sorry, mini hijack question for Droo.

I just realised that i put 15w fork oil in the damper side of my RS Reba (29,RLT,Motion Control) where the manual calls for 5w, is this going to be a major issue? i.e. dont ride until its drained and replaced or is it ok to ride and replace at a later stage?

Which brand?