Giant XTC 29er 1 vs Silverback Vida (or Sola) 1 29er

Gearman

Hi Hubbers,

Interesting to hear your opinion on these 2 XC bikes:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-za/bikes/model/xtc.29er.1/12784/59384/#specifications

http://www.silverbacklab.com/2011_website_SILVERBACK/vida1_13.htm

Prices for the 2013 models:

Giant R16295

Silverback R13225

Sola R15000

Both bike prices has dropped by +- 3k to make way for 2014 stock.

On paper, the Silverback looks to be better value, but the proof is in the riding.

Your opinion?

I've got the Vida 1 for more than a year now, nothing wrong with it! Brakes are flippin' good, fork is solid, but mine, the 2012 model, had Fox and Shimano and the 2013 spec is slightly different. Handles well although a little long on the top tube - watch the frame size depending on your height. At 1.74m I have the seat post on damn near the match extension on a medium frame. Stock real weight with Schwalbe Rocket Ron on front and Racing Ralph at back is 11.0kg.

I'd go for the vida 1!

I've got the 2013 vida1. I've got no problems, ALLES IS SIEP SAP! a bit on the heavy side but that's motivation to train harder. Mine weighs about 12.5kgs with continental protection tires+sealant, computer and 2 bottle cages.

I cannot see how they can justify the sola1's price as component wise the vida and sola are identical. The sola does have a good looking frame though.

Only upgrade I'd look at is upgrading the hubs, not that its needed as the hubs do their job. I've upgraded the rear derailleur to the XT shadow+ but that was just for the clutch functionality.

Goodluck! the Giant has got a flippen nice frame btw..

The Silverback Sola replaces the Vida (RRP R15,999). Actually thinking of getting one (and one for the wife), but now have second thoughts. The Stan's ZTR Crest wheel set is rated for a rider weight of 86kg and smooth XC. If you frequent bumpy rocky terrain and are a bit on the heavy side, the Sola might not be the ideal buy because of the rims. You will have to spend a few moolas extra on a suitable wheel set.

See also this thread:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/131594-stans-notubes-ztr-crest-29er-performance/

Can't comment on the Giant, but will have a good look at it.

Eish, sometimes the important stuff gets left out and you have to pay extra school fees later.

Edited by BarHugger

Get hold of Cycle Factory down there by you in the Cape, Not only do they Stock the Silverback but Merida and my favorite Momsen too. I'm sure they will be able to give you the best value and advice you can ask for.

• 3 weeks later...

Get hold of Cycle Factory down there by you in the Cape, Not only do they Stock the Silverback but Merida and my favorite Momsen too. I'm sure they will be able to give you the best value and advice you can ask for.

:clap: