Are cyclists colourblind?

Butterbean

One reason I hate driving in the big smoke is sitting at traffic lights. They are all unsynchronised and random always turn red in front on me. The drive to work takes 20 mins of which 10 is sitting at traffic lights. And being hassled by cretins makes it even more an ordeal.

But on my bike I generally do stop on the red, esp. on busy roads and if there are other motorists around, I know they get peeved. However since I ride commuter mtb, I often ride the pavements and by-pass the traffic light. Also get to practice my bunny hops and drop offs. But even when you have a green light to cross a busy road, you still mustn't assume you have right of way as cars, taxis, SUV's, buses etc come flying through the red light.

But how about the traffic law be changed so that cyclists can treat traffic lights as yield signs, ie if clear they can cross. Also will be an incentive to cycle. Also you are not a sitting duck at a light, it can get dangerous, in terms of traffic and attacks (I had to pepper spray an attacker recently)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the problem is the attitude shown by these individuals is the exact attitude that causes motorists to be intolerant.

When you go through a red robot while cars are watching, they take note. And they complain to friends. And they point it out to their kids. And it breeds disgust.

Now me, as a law abiding cyclist, gets the same reputation as those asshats. Which then gets me killed. IF WE WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE VEHICLES, WE NEED TO ACT LIKE THEM!

This isn't an attitude that we can just allow. Because it hurts everyone.

Also, ALL cyclists then get group together. When the motorist tells their friends and family and it gets passed on it is not "some cyclists" it is "cyclists". The good gets grouped with the bad unfortunately.

One reason I hate driving in the big smoke is sitting at traffic lights. They are all unsynchronised and random always turn red in front on me. The drive to work takes 20 mins of which 10 is sitting at traffic lights. And being hassled by cretins makes it even more an ordeal.

But on my bike I generally do stop on the red, esp. on busy roads and if there are other motorists around, I know they get peeved. However since I ride commuter mtb, I often ride the pavements and by-pass the traffic light. Also get to practice my bunny hops and drop offs. But even when you have a green light to cross a busy road, you still mustn't assume you have right of way as cars, taxis, SUV's, buses etc come flying through the red light.

But how about the traffic law be changed so that cyclists can treat traffic lights as yield signs, ie if clear they can cross. Also will be an incentive to cycle. Also you are not a sitting duck at a light, it can get dangerous, in terms of traffic and attacks (I had to pepper spray an attacker recently)

Like the Idaho Stop Law

http://www.bikeleague.org/content/bike-law-university-idaho-stop

So here's the thing. If a cyclist approaches a red traffic light that I am waiting at, stops, looks for approaching traffic, and if there is none, crosses the against the red, I don't find myself having a heart attack.

If the guy has been cautious and careful, what's to sweat about?

What's wrong with you people?

If they behave insensitively, incautiously, sure.

But you can behave like that while obeying traffic rules too - and that doesn't make it either right, or acceptable.

To the guy riding on 7th road in midrand towards new road this afternoon about 5pm , kudos to you for stopping and waiting at the red light even though you knew in about 5 mins you'd be getting very wet. Because you stopped the commuter behind you (without safety' gear) stopped too :)

To the guy riding on 7th road in midrand towards new road this afternoon about 5pm , kudos to you for stopping and waiting at the red light even though you knew in about 5 mins you'd be getting very wet. Because you stopped the commuter behind you (without safety' gear) stopped too :)

Schadenfreude? Schön.

Read my edit above

AG man get over yourself. It's your choice to be offended on this one, given the clear reference to cyclists not being able to discern between red and green and the parallels that draws with colour blindness.

Was driving on sunday and a tonsil on a giant decided to skip a stop street at a very busy intersection. I had to seriously swerve out the way to miss him. If I had hit him I would have been the one everyone would have pointed to. Even though it was him to blame. Im seriously sick n tired of cyclists not sticking to rules of the road and then the vehicle driver is to blame when things go wrong.

To many people on there high horses here that I can well foresee do not practice what they preach by their responses.

Lets take Botha Avenue from Lyttleton to Fountains as an example. Basically all the trafic lights going to PTA are 3 way, many cyclists and I think the majority actually who train in PTA cycle down there on weekends, none of them stop at the red lights and many club rides on Saturdays frequent there especially a certain large club with marshalls ans they also don't stop.

I confess I also don't stop going down to PTA if it is safe to cross as it is a 3way intersection, I never skip or cycle through a traffic light with an intersection. It is breaking the law I know, but have you guys thought how many of you break laws during the day? Hopefully all traffic related though. ...no one is perfect......no one